Trusted Contributor

Corporate should examine where customers shop. Young people, certainly not all, flock to the collaborations that designers have with Target, the influencers on social media, various models actors, singers, rappers, and athletes. Their favorite stores include H & M, Monaco, Vince, Rag and  Bone, etc.  Pop Up shops are favorites as well. Some corporations understand cultural inlfuencers such as the late Abloh, of LV and OFF WHITE., etc.  

Respected Contributor

@Beachpassion This says it all that the next generation of consumers shop online or through streaming services. QVC has become stale and it's format is becoming antiquated. Looks like their looking at the big picture to become more profitable.

I will not pay for a streaming service to shop at Q. 

Respected Contributor

Call me obtuse but the significance of the moniker Project Athens alludes me. I suspect it alludes others also.

How about the company return to a time when they offered unique or hard to find items?

How about a return to value and quality?

How about not featuring and selling items not yet available? 

How about actually selling exclusive items in major brands? I'm not talking about a color or style that will soon be available everywhere two months out. A shoe style exclusive to QVC or HSN so it's not also found elsewhere at far lower price. Or a purse/wallet in style or color released actually exclusive and unique only to QVC.

How about host not focused on entertainment but rather knowing their merchandise. Tell me an inseam length or sleeve length so I don't need to check online. What's the height, width, depth or weight of an item. Cut out the chitchat and focus on details.

If adding fillers to TSVs how about current up to date technology or features. Not leftover overstock. 

For home or garden items working off of lithium type batteries add an additional battery so would make it more desirable, a better value that sets it apart from Lowe's and Home Depot.

Cut down the length of presentations and add more product. I don't need and won't listen to an hour of droning on about the virtues of a vacuum.

How about coupons or discounts available across the board equally to all? 

How about some type of frequent shopper program, no matter how meager it may be? 

If people don't watch, they don't buy. Doesn't matter if it's live broadcast, streaming or online. Not watching equals not buying.

Esteemed Contributor

Well if they want the younger shoppers someone has to actually go see what young people wear for swimsuits. What QVC offers most 50 year olds won't wear. The Titanic is sinking and QVC has the band playing.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Valued Contributor

Interesting:

"QVC is doubling down on its mission to be the premier experiential retailer for women over 50 who love to shop,"

Qurate Retail Group Announces Three-Year Growth Plan, ‘Project Athens’ - Qurate Retail

Honored Contributor

Shopping from TV is obsolete.  It had a long run but the world has changed in the past 40 years.  It takes awhile before stores completely die, e.g., Sears but, IMO, all shopping channels days are numbered. 

Regular Contributor

Okay, they were talking about "streaming".  I am going to mention this regarding streaming.  I have some friends that live in a rural area. They can't have high speed Wi-Fi or Broadban where they live. Why? Because the service is just not there. Period. So if QVC goes to streaming they will lose people in rural areas without service.   And rural people do order because they would have to drive a long way to a real store.  I know that urban and suburban people can't image not having high speed service, but I promise you that it is true. 

Regular Contributor

I started watching many years ago-mainly to watch the jewelry shows (before the start of the internet). They had great prices and beautiful jewelry....until the price of gold and silver skyrocketed and those shows became fewer and fewer.  

I think the start of online shopping was the start of their slow downward spiral.  I started seeing the same products out in the retail stores and on line stores and sometimes for much cheaper.  I personally never found the quality of QVC items to be any better than what I find in other stores.  The whole shipping process is what really stops me from buying from QVC.  Most places on line will give you a flat shipping cost for all the items you put into cart.... but QVC charges you shipping for each item you buy (even for multiples of the same item). Even though I understand why they have to do that... it doesn't matter to me.   If you want to return an item it will  cost you $11-20. (Maybe a little less if you ship your own way).  And every single time I do return a product.... I track the return and then 2 weeks after I know they received it, I still have to  call CS for a refund.... otherwise it could be a month or longer to receive the refund. (This has been my experience).  

So, what I do now is I go on QVC website to "window shop" (I have not watched QVC on the TV ever since the start of the internet).  I love to read the reviews.   If  I'm interested in a product I will go to other sites to find those products. I only buy from places that I can have free shipping and returns.... or from places I can return items in person.  And most times I can find the same items (or very similar) for MUCH cheaper.  I personally think the prices for QVC clothes are way too high and never found the quality to be any better than other stores. Most of the time I can find the same shoes on other sites for MUCH cheaper and free shipping.  The only thing QVC has going for them regarding shoes is that you can wear the shoes out to see if you like them and if you don't.... you can return them. (But its expensive to return).  

I am not surprised at all that QVC has to get rid of many of their long time hosts. They will keep the hosts that bring in the most money. (Even if you don't like them).  Even though people enjoy watching some of their favorite hosts... if they get paid too much, or they don't bring in the money.... they will have no problem saying goodbye to them.  That's business.  

I don't think QVC will ever be able to get the younger generation to watch QVC on TV..... So that means as time goes on and the younger generation become the older generation....there will be less and less people watching/buying and  more and more hosts leaving.  

Esteemed Contributor

The younger generation wants their stuff "fast'...not 7 to 10 days...

Regular Contributor

Re: Changes are coming to QVC

Agreed!

"Some people look for a beautiful place. Others make a place beautiful."