Honored Contributor

Re: CEO Talks About Slow Sales

@grooms wrote:

I don't understand.....I read the article and it is dated in September, 2016 so why is it in the Philly paper, supposedly today.  This is Sunday, April 30th  on the West Coast so I don't consider this article having any importance.    They need  to go back and look how QVC was operating in the days shortly after they bought it from CVN....those are the days QVC was on top and why buy Zullily....I logged on to look at their merchandise and cannot do it unless I give them my email address which I will not do as I get enough email ******.  Bottom line, they no longer know what they are doing and personally I hope they fall flat on their face for changing what QVC use to be as dynamic shopping....maybe then the CEO will have some empathy for all the employees  they kicked out of their way trying  to make QVC a success anymore!

@grooms

This is an old thread that someone added a current comment to.  I think there point was that sales and revenues have been slumping for ahwile.QVC had a decline in the sale of women's clothing in August 2016 and their CEO and CEO QVC USA made comments regarding this matter.  Sales and revenues continued to decline for QVC and HSN in their 3rd and 4th quarter and for year end results. (there are threads posting their results regarding these matters in this same topic ) The 1st Quarter results for 2017 should be coming out soon but having been calculated yet.......

QVC cut back on their product variety, raised their shipping charges, and most of QVC's prices are uncompetitve when compared to similar products or if you shop for the same products locally, their programming is repetitive and dull---causing customers to turn the channel and shop elsewhere....  And some of their hosts are downright annoying....For me these are the main points that need to be corrected at QVC

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

Young people may buy online from QVC, but I don't think many watch unless they are with a grandmother or auntie. I have yet to hear a caller who isn't a boomer or older, many in their 80s. I don't see much that is geared to younger buyers, and certainly not entire hours geared that way. Last year they had a young blogger help design a line of winter accessories, even had a live-audience show, to appeal to teens and it fell flat. All in clearance and never repeated. Kitchen sales were flat too, yet they devote hours on Wednesdays and Sundays to kitchen items and numerous food fests as well. Young people aren't watching and buying overpriced processed foods and $250 French Dutch ovens. Don't get me started on their repetitive hours of vacuums, mattresses, and overstuffed recliners or pillows. I would have to be tied to a chair and forced to watch. Free time is of value to most of us, especially the young, and they are not wasting it on watching a vacuum suck up billiard balls and confetti.

I agree that younger people like to shop with friends, have lunch, make a day of it, etc.  Very few would be interested in the kitchen items.   None of my friends (seniors) have ever purchased anything from QVC and probably never even watched a show. 

Honored Contributor

@Rileyx wrote:

'Plus, QVC's Easy Pay program has suffered "a tick-up in writeoffs," and though losses are still "sub-2%," QVC has "slightly" tightened EasyPay credit.'                                                                                                                      

I wonder what they will eventually do with Easy Pay. I noticed yesterday's Special Value wasn't on Easy Pay - at least for the short time I watched, I didn't see it.

I think they are constantly really pushing easy pay.  With their Q card you can get even more months to pay off your purchase.  I wonder how many are astounded when they get their bills since all those "small" payments add up.  Also, once in a while you can get two payments on one bill (for the same item).   Sales must be down when they push easy pay so much. 

Honored Contributor

@katiescarlett wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

Just as a very small example I've noticed, @Spurt: when you receive a package from HSN, they always put extra something or other in the package, be it a sample perfume, brochures from them. The last package I received from HSN they had a sample small pkg. of Quaker Oats new oatmeal crisps to try (three of them). They were good too, and I bought them the next time at the grocers. And I regularly get 10 or 20% on any item with no minimum charge. I usually can find something I would like. Smiley Happy What it all just says is thanks for being our customer. So much better than an EZ Pay.

Interesting, I have never received a freebie in my HSN packages.Woman Sad Every now and then I would get something in a zulily package, like a sample of Starbucks coffee, but never HSN.

I have had a few samples from HSN.  Also, most of their daily special's have free shipping which makes a big difference to me.

Honored Contributor

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

I think they need to get out of the food biz, to be honest with you. They do offer some good foods (My Grandmas Coffeecakes, Bobby Chez Crabcakes, Juniors Cheesecake) but a lot of the food I ordered from Q is down right terrible and not worthy of the name "Gourmet". I can't imagine them making a lot of money off of the food, since so much of the food isn't high in ratings. Just a thought.

@Qshopper1991 

ITA!!! If people don't like the food .......pardon the pun.....QVC has to "eat" that money since they definitely can't re--sell it!!! 

@Spurt:  LOL Smiley Happy  Very true.  But I'm assuming they must be doing really well if Q continues to have 3 hour Gourmet Holiday shows.  I guess that's what puzzles me because like I stated before, most foods are don't have high ratings from the customers.  I'm thinking not many people have gourmet palettes and will eat anything and think it's superb.  I know a lot of people that don't cook and eat processed foods, take out, etc. all the time.  Maybe this type of food appeals to them and they feel like they are eating gourmet.  Smiley Very Happy 

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

I think they need to get out of the food biz, to be honest with you. They do offer some good foods (My Grandmas Coffeecakes, Bobby Chez Crabcakes, Juniors Cheesecake) but a lot of the food I ordered from Q is down right terrible and not worthy of the name "Gourmet". I can't imagine them making a lot of money off of the food, since so much of the food isn't high in ratings. Just a thought.

@Qshopper1991 

ITA!!! If people don't like the food .......pardon the pun.....QVC has to "eat" that money since they definitely can't re--sell it!!! 

@Spurt:  LOL Smiley Happy  Very true.  But I'm assuming they must be doing really well if Q continues to have 3 hour Gourmet Holiday shows.  I guess that's what puzzles me because like I stated before, most foods are don't have high ratings from the customers.  I'm thinking not many people have gourmet palettes and will eat anything and think it's superb.  I know a lot of people that don't cook and eat processed foods, take out, etc. all the time.  Maybe this type of food appeals to them and they feel like they are eating gourmet.  Smiley Very Happy 

You can get a credit without returning the food items--they don't want it back.  I'm assuming a lot of people just don't bother to call for a credit, they just don't order again.  So QVC still makes the first sale.  Some do like the items and reorder or go on AD.  They must sell a lot because they have so many "foodie" shows plus many food items on the kitchen shows.  I was "burned" a few times, so I no longer order food items.

Honored Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

@Rileyx wrote:

'Plus, QVC's Easy Pay program has suffered "a tick-up in writeoffs," and though losses are still "sub-2%," QVC has "slightly" tightened EasyPay credit.'                                                                                                                      

I wonder what they will eventually do with Easy Pay. I noticed yesterday's Special Value wasn't on Easy Pay - at least for the short time I watched, I didn't see it.

I think they are constantly really pushing easy pay.  With their Q card you can get even more months to pay off your purchase.  I wonder how many are astounded when they get their bills since all those "small" payments add up.  Also, once in a while you can get two payments on one bill (for the same item).   Sales must be down when they push easy pay so much. 

@Daysdee

Not only on how Ez Pays add up but that interest rate on that Q card too!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Daysdee wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

Young people may buy online from QVC, but I don't think many watch unless they are with a grandmother or auntie. I have yet to hear a caller who isn't a boomer or older, many in their 80s. I don't see much that is geared to younger buyers, and certainly not entire hours geared that way. Last year they had a young blogger help design a line of winter accessories, even had a live-audience show, to appeal to teens and it fell flat. All in clearance and never repeated. Kitchen sales were flat too, yet they devote hours on Wednesdays and Sundays to kitchen items and numerous food fests as well. Young people aren't watching and buying overpriced processed foods and $250 French Dutch ovens. Don't get me started on their repetitive hours of vacuums, mattresses, and overstuffed recliners or pillows. I would have to be tied to a chair and forced to watch. Free time is of value to most of us, especially the young, and they are not wasting it on watching a vacuum suck up billiard balls and confetti.

I agree that younger people like to shop with friends, have lunch, make a day of it, etc.  Very few would be interested in the kitchen items.   None of my friends (seniors) have ever purchased anything from QVC and probably never even watched a show. 

@Daysdee

I don't qualify as being part of the younger set.....but me and my friends do like to get together to shop and have lunch (or an early dinner)...........We do like to shop for a little bit of everything---clothes, home decor, craft items, cosmetics, jewelry, handbags And yes we do kitchen....some like to cook and eat healthy....BUT certainly NOT $250 dutch ovens or high priced kitchen stuff....I think we mostly find what we want at Home Goods.....even Best Buy had better deals on Ninjas and at Target for Kitchen Aid stuff...............

Valued Contributor

Why in the heck, then, did they spend so much money sending Amy S. and top models to CA for that ridiculous Lisa Rinne show?  Couldn't watch more than 10 minutes of that braggadocious show.  And why do they feel a need to have an additional person on diamonique shows now?  And why do they still constantly run in Dyson products on Sundays when people are home from work and can watch?  And on and on; super expensive handbags, shoes, expensive JR sterling shows on constantly instead of more reasonably priced and unique artisan crafted sterling silver shows, constantly increasing by leaps and bounds prices on Lori Goldstein clothes which used to sell much more than they do now, etc.????  They say their jewelry sales are down, but keep in mind QVC, your jewelry shows aren't anything like they used to be.  And your AM and PM Styles shows are less and less cute and NEW clothes and same old, same old, and more and more expensive skincare etc., even though you don't show fashion during beauty shows!  (From someone who has been watching and buying for well over 20 years!!)

Honored Contributor

@just wonder wrote:

Why in the heck, then, did they spend so much money sending Amy S. and top models to CA for that ridiculous Lisa Rinne show?  Couldn't watch more than 10 minutes of that braggadocious show.  And why do they feel a need to have an additional person on diamonique shows now?  And why do they still constantly run in Dyson products on Sundays when people are home from work and can watch?  And on and on; super expensive handbags, shoes, expensive JR sterling shows on constantly instead of more reasonably priced and unique artisan crafted sterling silver shows, constantly increasing by leaps and bounds prices on Lori Goldstein clothes which used to sell much more than they do now, etc.????  They say their jewelry sales are down, but keep in mind QVC, your jewelry shows aren't anything like they used to be.  And your AM and PM Styles shows are less and less cute and NEW clothes and same old, same old, and more and more expensive skincare etc., even though you don't show fashion during beauty shows!  (From someone who has been watching and buying for well over 20 years!!)

@just wonder

EXCELLENT POST!!!  I wish you were the CEO you seem to have a good pulse on QVC while the current Execs are clueless....you raise many questions that many of us have rasised as well.  

And as for their Sunday programming....its almost as if all QVC cares about is acquiring new customers and scaring away their long term customers......And after all thes new folks buy that vacuum, computer, blender, mixer....will they even bother to come back to buy another (since QVC merely shows the SAME stuff week after week after week)......................

Valued Contributor

So many reasons QVC is declining in sales and they will have to figure out how they will change.  I have to wonder if part of the cutting back involved the gold buyer, David mark stein and now the gem buyer Peyton Kelly.  To me the solution is not more channels but more items presented per show.  Are we not all bored to tears when there is an hour with just one product?  Did you ever walk into one store and look at one item for an hour unless it is selecting fabric for a sofa?  QVC offers nice products but for whatever reasons they reduced selection in some main categories.  Now if you watch Linea  it is very close to every other clothing line presented.  Same colors, same hem lines and so on...boring!  Carole hochman used to have several gowns...now we are lucky to see one new gown a year!  And we do not need a fifteen minute chat between a host and a guest about a silver chain.  And the tsv is no longer a very great deal...it is a so so deal.  Smart people see the problem and hopefully those smart people will make some serious changes quickly because they are losing their audience.  Could be people just do not want to spend hours watching a lot of stuff they could care less about.