Respected Contributor

Re: CEO Talks About Slow Sales

I find it very interesting that their long-time jewelry buyers are now gone. What about all those vault discoveries that were only accessed because of long-term relationships? Are those gone too or were they just hype?

The last few gem jewelry shows that I watched were frustrating. The gems were lovely but the settings were not appealing to me. And those pieces with masses of colored diamond chips look like costume pieces Kathy Levine failed to sell (La Vintage or something like that). They remind me of that scene in a Harry Potter movie when Snape is dressed like Neville Longbottom's formidable grandmother--now she would be decked out in colored diamonds. 

Esteemed Contributor

This thread may have started last fall when QVC was blaming everything and everyone but themselves for declining sales but has anything changed? The Olympics is over and so is the election so have clothing sales improved at QVC? Even other retailers are having a hard time with store closings and layoffs as the way people shop changes.

QVC's clothes and prices are out of touch with their customers. Their T shirt prices and similar tops sell from anywhere in prices of $35 - $90. What economy is QVC living in? People are being careful with their money now. When the world seems unstable people cut back and don't spend as much.

Esteemed Contributor

@Gabidog you are so right about the fashion lines, they have made them ALL look the same and that is not interesting at all.  Of course I also realize there are years when I don't buy any fashion items except essentials from any stores if the style such as it is doesn't appeal to me OR look good on me.  I'm sad about the changes in the Linea line because Louis always has had a more unique approach to things.  I have quite a few of his items, wear them a lot.  They look good and work for me for both work and leisure. But he probably had to go with the QVC flow too or else.

I just looked thru the new arrivals and yes there are items there that I found interesting such as the Lauren G line that has returned but what put me off was the prices.  Those items are "gold tone" and yet they are priced very high.  I don't "need" any of it so I will pass.

Honored Contributor

I ordered two different Marc Charles' items on April 23 from the ITKWD show.  Haven't arrived yet.  These are items not available elsewhere.  If they were, I would have ordered elsewhere and received free shipping and faster shipping.   Items I ordered several days later from other websites are already here and in use. 

Esteemed Contributor

QVC's competition in the past was HSN.  It now has to compete with Amazon and vie for younger customer base which doesn't sit at home watching tv. 

Esteemed Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

QVC's competition in the past was HSN.  It now has to compete with Amazon and vie for younger customer base which doesn't sit at home watching tv. 

They're even looking for the wrong base: millenials don't spend much money on fashion. They're living at home with their parents.

Occasional Contributor

Eh, I'll throw in my two cents. First post but I've lurked for a while. 

I agree with the complaints about the shipping policy. Charging individual shipping fees for each item isn't something I've ever seen from any other major retailer and it's nonsensical. Plus, I know that for many people, when they shop online, sometimes the shipping fees are what determine whether or not they will complete the purchase. They may load $150+ worth of merchandise in their cart ready to spend that amount but then see $15-$20 of shipping charges and decide to forget the whole thing and cancel it all. 
As for the claims that women in their 20's and 30's don't shop QVC, "wouldn't be caught dead wearing QVC clothes", etc., well, I can't speak for everyone but I'm 25 and I have bought lots of cothing (and many items in other categories) from QVC. I don't like every item of clothing I see on QVC, and of course some brands have more that I like than others, but I don't think there are any brands on QVC from which I haven't seen at least a few pieces that I liked. I've even bought some choice Quacker Factory pieces for myself, believe it or not! Smiley LOL 
I started watching QVC occasionally when I was 14 or 15, usually when I had insomnia, and it does seem like the network has become more homogenized even just since then. I remember they used to run scrapbooking shows, pet shows, not to mention Kirks Folly! Heart , and you don't really see things like that anymore. 

Respected Contributor

I loved the Kirk's Folly shows. I love anything celestial and they went all out with the costumes. It was a very unique line. The four hour Sunday night Diamonique shows were a blast too, especially if Kathy Levine hosted. They also had collector's day with Precious Moments, Hummels, Capidamonte, Marie Osmond Dolls, etc. 

Now it's the same vendors over and over again, there's no variety. I want to assume it's because they're sticking with what makes them money, but it gets boring seeing the same things over and over. HSN and Evine are guilty of this too---we don't need three or four hour blocks of a particular vendor in a 24 hour period. I really don't know what TPTB are thinking with offering little variety in their programming. I used to watch QVC more back in the 80's and 90's as a young girl and teen than I do today at age 41. And the shipping fees and skyrocketing prices are a major part of that. I have very little disposable income and can't buy things when I'm charged 3-4 dollars a piece for each item. If they gave breaks on shipping and lowered the prices ($70 for a T-shirt, I expect diamonds sewn in it) Smiley Wink I and others like me who don't have a lot of leeway to spend on things that aren't bills or groceries could afford to shop the Q a bit more.

Respected Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

They remind me of that scene in a Harry Potter movie when Snape is dressed like Neville Longbottom's formidable grandmother--now she would be decked out in colored diamonds. 

@SunValley - kudos on the fabulous literary allusion. 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

IMHO, more women are "wardrobe builders" instead of purchasing fads in styles in colors. We can find that online or in B&M stores...not on QVC. 

I find the fit a hit or miss...too expensive to try on & return. I also hate to admit that if I want something, I'm too impatient to wait a week for it to be delivered, exchange for another size...wait another week...by that time, forget it. Not interested. 

I can purchase clothing on certain sites or in stores where my sizes are tried and true and most of the time don't even have to try on or return...If it has be returned, free shipping in both directions. Q doesn't offer that.

I've often wondered why Q doesn't send an email survey to get an idea from the customer what we're unhappy with & would like to see improved. There's no reason to do that if they have no intention of making changes. Reading these forums would give them more than enough info, but it falls on deaf ears (if they even care to read our criticisms).

Like many others, I just gave up waiting for a change and took my dollars elsewhere. It's not the buyer's problem if bottom line is failing. It is blind, uncaring management.