Esteemed Contributor

Re: CEO Talks About Slow Sales

Another dumb reply written by a senior.... Women who can stay home have a significant other who makes great money who allows them to stay home.  They have the money to pay for high end clothes and do.  They shop at Banana Republic, Theory, BCBG, Nordstrom, and other stores that have the marketing sense to want their business.  NO, they don't buy cheap clothes, and wear gym clothes all day.  They care about themselves, and wear great clothes and carry designer bags.  The Q  is going to continue to go under as their senior viewers go into nursing homes or pass on.

terribear: I don't believe the Q will lose Seniors going into nursing homes. If you haven't heard yet, there's an enormous population of Baby Boomers, the biggest ever, retiring, starting l945. I don't believe will ever run out of Seniors. And they would do well to always concentrate on them as they've been the reason they've been successful all these years.

The problem is they've forgotten their money makers and strayed trying to capture new ones to their detriment.

One needs to stay competitive, up-to-date, but the Q forgot who their customers were. Also, reserch shows this very clientelle have are holding wealth that the younger generation will never attain.  

Frequent Contributor

'Plus, QVC's Easy Pay program has suffered "a tick-up in writeoffs," and though losses are still "sub-2%," QVC has "slightly" tightened EasyPay credit.'                                                                                                                      

I wonder what they will eventually do with Easy Pay. I noticed yesterday's Special Value wasn't on Easy Pay - at least for the short time I watched, I didn't see it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think QVC's biggest problem is they never pivoted from their original sales formula of how they sell and never innovated to reach out to younger customers through the years that they have been on the air.  I know even 20 years ago (when I was 40) younger people would laugh about QVC and say their grandmother loved them.  They never got the message that this for lack of a better phrase "stigma" was being applied to them.

The other problem is their ridiculous shipping charges.  I worked for a large logistics company many years ago and was chatting with a consultant we brought in and wound up talking about QVC.  She had worked for a company that helps maximize warehouse productivity and then in turn you can pass these savings on to their customers.  The QVC guy they had the meeting with laughed them out of the office and said "are you kidding, that's how we make our money".

Between poor future planning, s&h and their woeful web presence QVC has no one to blame but themselves for any losses in revenue.

Honored Contributor

@terriebear wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@terriebear wrote:

Women's clothes are "flat" as QVC competes with troubled chain stores' discount sales, but "I think we have some good areas for growth in fashion," George added.

Sales will continue to be "flat" until the Q starts marketing to women who are not seniors.  Women who are in their 20's and 30's will not wear the Q's clothes or most of thier "comfort" shoes.  They wear dresses well above their knees and short shorts, 2 piece swim suits, and 4 inch heals.  The Q refuses to market to these women.  Yet there are many stay at home moms who could watch the Q but won't.  Shawn dressing like these women is not enough.  The Q needs to sell to them as well.  

Wome in their 20s and 30s wear mostly gym clothes and cheap high fashion clothes.  And they aren't going to sit and watch tv to buy them either.  

@Sooner

Another dumb reply written by a senior.... Women who can stay home have a significant other who makes great money who allows them to stay home.  They have the money to pay for high end clothes and do.  They shop at Banana Republic, Theory, BCBG, Nordstrom, and other stores that have the marketing sense to want their business.  NO, they don't buy cheap clothes, and wear gym clothes all day.  They care about themselves, and wear great clothes and carry designer bags.  The Q  is going to continue to go under as their senior viewers go into nursing homes or pass on.

Yesterday I went shopping at a high end mall with a Neiman Marcus. I was waiting for my husband and people watched. Just about every woman had on ath leisure wear. No real clothing....just athletic looking tights and tank tops. When we went to the restaurant for lunch, I looked around......gone are the days of coordinating pants and tops for those not working at a job. Our society is casual now and QVC needs to get with the program. BTW, Neiman's was literally empty. I checked a blouse..$900.00. Sorry, no can do. LOL

Regular Contributor

@Stardust2 wrote:

I never but clothes from the Q anymore. I shop on line at Macy's and a couple pther places. The quality is oustanding and the prices are so much lower than QVC. If you have a Macy's card there are so many other perks too. Not everyone has the figure of the size 2 models. I'm a senior and with age it seems the weight always goes to the middle. If I find something on QVC to fit the hips the waist is just too small. I'm an average size woman. Size 12/14 and Macy's Charter Club brand fits me so nice and quality far better, cost so much less than the Q. I cannot believe the price of that Susan Graver  clothing which I do not like at all. Denim & Co. has gone  to the moon with their prices.

And I meant to add to the poest...Flat front and elastic back seem to fit me better than any pants but I still will not purchase clothes from QVC when I can get much better quality from Macy's for less with free shipping! I refuse to put on a pair of tights at my age! Oh please!

lower your prices! Go to other sites and see what they are offering.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@terriebear wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@terriebear wrote:

Women's clothes are "flat" as QVC competes with troubled chain stores' discount sales, but "I think we have some good areas for growth in fashion," George added.

Sales will continue to be "flat" until the Q starts marketing to women who are not seniors.  Women who are in their 20's and 30's will not wear the Q's clothes or most of thier "comfort" shoes.  They wear dresses well above their knees and short shorts, 2 piece swim suits, and 4 inch heals.  The Q refuses to market to these women.  Yet there are many stay at home moms who could watch the Q but won't.  Shawn dressing like these women is not enough.  The Q needs to sell to them as well.  

Wome in their 20s and 30s wear mostly gym clothes and cheap high fashion clothes.  And they aren't going to sit and watch tv to buy them either.  

@Sooner

Yesterday I went shopping at a high end mall with a Neiman Marcus. I was waiting for my husband and people watched. Just about every woman had on ath leisure wear. No real clothing....just athletic looking tights and tank tops. When we went to the restaurant for lunch, I looked around......gone are the days of coordinating pants and tops for those not working at a job. Our society is casual now and QVC needs to get with the program. BTW, Neiman's was literally empty. I checked a blouse..$900.00. Sorry, no can do. LOL

Millennials cannot even afford to rent their own apartments and are forced to move back home with their parents. The oldest generation carries the wealth of the country and is said their children will never experience that wealth. The millennials are the first generation who will not do better than their parents. I wouldn't count on them to buy more expensive products than the Q. They'll be at the Dollar Store.

Esteemed Contributor

I am not a marketing expert so my observations are purely amateur yet, based on

my experience, QVC was very popular years ago, in part because of the creative offering of products. Overpriced beds and puffy chairs do not fit into that category. People will not watch such boring and repetitive presentations. Second, people with disposable income, whom I assume QVC wants to attract, are not interested in purchasing poorly constructed, substandard garments. Consumers are not fools. We know a good deal, and a bad deal, when we see it.

Occasional Contributor
Honored Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@terriebear wrote:

Plus the Q has reported 93% of their business is "loyal" customers, not new customers.

@febe1  You know what irks me when the hosts make a special comment regarding how many NEW QVC customers were added during their show....(perhaps they get a bonus or something)....BUT WHAT ABOUT THEIR "LOYAL" CUSTOMERS.....big deal they offer EZ Pay (that doesn't reduce the price) or a ridiculous "featured" price where you can save a WHOPPING $1.24 to $3.54 off their regular QVC price!!!  Why don't they give special promotions to "loyal" customers.....I get emails, and catalogs offering me REAL DEALS for being a returning customer!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@terriebear wrote:

Plus the Q has reported 93% of their business is "loyal" customers, not new customers.

@febe1  You know what irks me when the hosts make a special comment regarding how many NEW QVC customers were added during their show....(perhaps they get a bonus or something)....BUT WHAT ABOUT THEIR "LOYAL" CUSTOMERS.....big deal they offer EZ Pay (that doesn't reduce the price) or a ridiculous "featured" price where you can save a WHOPPING $1.24 to $3.54 off their regular QVC price!!!  Why don't they give special promotions to "loyal" customers.....I get emails, and catalogs offering me REAL DEALS for being a returning customer!!! 

Just as a very small example I've noticed, @Spurt: when you receive a package from HSN, they always put extra something or other in the package, be it a sample perfume, brochures from them. The last package I received from HSN they had a sample small pkg. of Quaker Oats new oatmeal crisps to try (three of them). They were good too, and I bought them the next time at the grocers. And I regularly get 10 or 20% on any item with no minimum charge. I usually can find something I would like. Smiley Happy What it all just says is thanks for being our customer. So much better than an EZ Pay.