Frequent Contributor

Re: CEO Talks About Slow Sales

I agree w/most of your suggestions.  What happened to home goods? Your down quilts,your cotton flannel sheets?  As a senior, I do not want to carry these heavy items. Ordering them from QVC use to be a pleasure & convenient.  Guess I have to go to HSN

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@febe1 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@terriebear wrote:

Women's clothes are "flat" as QVC competes with troubled chain stores' discount sales, but "I think we have some good areas for growth in fashion," George added.

Sales will continue to be "flat" until the Q starts marketing to women who are not seniors.  Women who are in their 20's and 30's will not wear the Q's clothes or most of thier "comfort" shoes.  They wear dresses well above their knees and short shorts, 2 piece swim suits, and 4 inch heals.  The Q refuses to market to these women.  Yet there are many stay at home moms who could watch the Q but won't.  Shawn dressing like these women is not enough.  The Q needs to sell to them as well.  

Wome in their 20s and 30s wear mostly gym clothes and cheap high fashion clothes.  And they aren't going to sit and watch tv to buy them either.  

Plus the Q has reported 93% of their business is "loyal" customers, not new customers.

And yet, remember there for a while, every show host was delivering the mantra about how many new customers had signed up... WHO CARES... Customer loyalty is earned and it cuts both ways... Sorry, but I no longer feel any sense of affection or loyalty for QVC, other than to the CS people, who overall seem genuine... Why would I? "Corporate" has virtually decimated a once classy operation...

It's really sad to have watched this happening, @stevieb. I've spent thousands at the Q in the past; I've watched it stop competing and uncaring. Other online companies have courted, invited, reached out with incentives and fought for my business. I've received so much better from others in quality, value and convenience and am moving on. After so long, you finally give up.

Just one thing in competing. The Q doesn't even care enough or be competitive enough to strive to give the best delivery, still giving 7-10 day and very happy with that. Where's the simple initiative to compete with others for the best delivery? It's just not there, never changing in the THIRTEEN years I've been their customer.

I've got money; I'm spending it. I used to enjoy giving it to the Q. And watching them? OMG, I'd have to have a TV rabbit ear antenna with three channels to be forced that torture!

I completely understand and completely agree @febe1... They have elected not to compete on any level and so there you are... The results shouldn't surprise anyone... It's simply become unwatchable and is no longer any kind of real shopping resource. That's not a viable combination. I'd also note that it seems they've strived not only for mediocrity but to become a generic home shopping experience... It used to be that QVC was sort of the 'jewel in the crown' of TV-based shopping, but they abandoned anything and everythiing that set them apart and yes, didn't keep up with shipping or warehousing changes needed to remain a front-runner... Instead, they've opted to devolve into an also-ran... Well, they've succeeded, at least, in doing that... And yes, it really is a shame. I used to enjoy being a QVC customer and as I've often noted, shopping is supposed to be fun. It no longer is here.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@febe1 interesting about the survey, I've been a customer for years and have never been asked to do one.  I will also say that I find MOST surveys of those types are skewed to get answers they want from the questions they ask instead of trully wanting customer input.

I know that the QVC cheerleaders will also say that it is only a small portion of us writing here on the forums so therefore our comments are not valuable.  I happen to think they are wrong because while there are probably a minority of people who post on the site, the fact is that QVC's profits are suffering which tells me that others don't bother to complain, they've just stopped buying.

Respected Contributor

@stevieb yes, I agree with you.  Sooner and Kachina, I don't mind them doing a special CIJ show but when they run them over and over again with the same products you can get anywhere and for a better price, well, I don't need multiple days of it.  Do one weekend in July and then wait to run more until closer to the holidays and it would be fine with me.

Heck, I'm shopping for Halloween things right now and I'm not buying thoses items on QVC because they don't offer them.  Considering that I've read that people spend the amount of $ on Halloween second only to Christmas, there is a big opportunity being missed.

Honored Contributor

Maybe Q just needs to get its costs down so that it can better compete on price - offer more discounts, free shipping, etc.  I don't know but am guessing its overheads are very high compared to the other shopping channels.  Look at its elaborate sets, off-site programming, the Studio Park complex, etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@happygolfcartrider wrote:

In MY opinion sales probably started dropping when QVC started hiring all the ditzy show host's. I don't think anyone young or old wants to see all the craziness that is going on now on the set. It is no longer professional, more like an all day infomercial, hyped up, gotta sell, more, more, more. The models prancing and dancing, the host's prancing and dancing. The crazy dressing, the sloppy dressing, the robotic hand and body moves during presentations. The running back and forth on the set by several of the host's.The phony kiss, kiss, hug, hug. It is all too frantic. Has QVC looked to see if when these changes were all made (about the time the new PM Style was brought in) is this when sales started dropping? 

Remember people I said this is MY opinion. Heart

And I guess I think all the ditzy hosts were part and parcel of the model QVC wanted to foster anyway... It's a chicken and egg conundrum... Somwhere along the line they decided that having hosts provide a more 'in your face' experience was going to somehow obfuscate the reality that they were presenting the same tired, boring merchandise over and over and over... I guess it didn't work... I can't believe they thought it would...

Honored Contributor

@GinaV24 wrote:

@febe1 interesting about the survey, I've been a customer for years and have never been asked to do one.  I will also say that I find MOST surveys of those types are skewed to get answers they want from the questions they ask instead of trully wanting customer input.

I know that the QVC cheerleaders will also say that it is only a small portion of us writing here on the forums so therefore our comments are not valuable.  I happen to think they are wrong because while there are probably a minority of people who post on the site, the fact is that QVC's profits are suffering which tells me that others don't bother to complain, they've just stopped buying.

They shouldn't need a survey @GinaV24 and I too wondered if they asked the right questions or just limited feedback to that they wanted to garner... And by the way, the cheerleaders would be dead wrong... All of us (and in increasing numbers) have not been citing these same concerns for several years now simply as an exercise in complaining... For every one who has bothered to post their concerns, statistics would indicate there are many more feeling the same way... If the cheerleaders have been satisfied with the same products repeated endlessly and over the top host antics then maybe that says something about THEM...

Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

HELLO MIKE GEORGE.....Just ask us and we'll be glad to tell you what's wrong.  Without all the fancy MBA jargon too.

@Kachina624

have I told you lately that I adore you. lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Maybe Q just needs to get its costs down so that it can better compete on price - offer more discounts, free shipping, etc.  I don't know but am guessing its overheads are very high compared to the other shopping channels.  Look at its elaborate sets, off-site programming, the Studio Park complex, etc.

I agree that the costs of running a 24 hour TV operation represent overhead that physical stores don't have... Of course, those brick and mortar stores also have costs that the TV-based entities don't... QVC could trim some costs by not having all those hosts when they seem to always use the same few... Other than that, again, it boils down to the fact that if you sell what people want at a price they want to pay then they'll buy it... Somewhere along the way, they lost sight of the fact that people do not want to buy the same merchandise week after week... pay more for it and then potentially cover two-way shipping costs that have been inflated to create a profit center...

Honored Contributor

@GinaV24 wrote:

@stevieb yes, I agree with you.  Sooner and Kachina, I don't mind them doing a special CIJ show but when they run them over and over again with the same products you can get anywhere and for a better price, well, I don't need multiple days of it.  Do one weekend in July and then wait to run more until closer to the holidays and it would be fine with me.

Heck, I'm shopping for Halloween things right now and I'm not buying thoses items on QVC because they don't offer them.  Considering that I've read that people spend the amount of $ on Halloween second only to Christmas, there is a big opportunity being missed.

@GinaV24 It really is the lack of variety that causes it to be a snooze... I could even see a week or so of CIJ but only IF they weren't pushing the same things show after show, much of which is exactly the same stuff they've been pushing for years or items that are very similar... And yes, I agree, they're so focused on Christmas that they completley miss the boat with fall seasonal items.