Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: CEO Talks About Slow Sales

@terriebear wrote:

Women's clothes are "flat" as QVC competes with troubled chain stores' discount sales, but "I think we have some good areas for growth in fashion," George added.

Sales will continue to be "flat" until the Q starts marketing to women who are not seniors.  Women who are in their 20's and 30's will not wear the Q's clothes or most of thier "comfort" shoes.  They wear dresses well above their knees and short shorts, 2 piece swim suits, and 4 inch heals.  The Q refuses to market to these women.  Yet there are many stay at home moms who could watch the Q but won't.  Shawn dressing like these women is not enough.  The Q needs to sell to them as well.  

Wome in their 20s and 30s wear mostly gym clothes and cheap high fashion clothes.  And they aren't going to sit and watch tv to buy them either.  

Honored Contributor

Your idea of a survey is great but I think QVC relies on product reviews instead.  Shame on them.

And laying off staff is always the first, kneejerk reaction.   I bet all the air went out of the stockholders meeting when they saw the price drop to $20.

I work in an industry that is struggling now, also.   But they offered early retirement to many of the managers.   Now we have a bunch of no-nothings running the company & everyone is p*ssed off & we are still struggling.

@GinaV24 wrote:

well reading that article tells me that they are going to try and "save" their way into a profit by cutting staff.  Yeah that's the ticket.  Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Narrow branding, high prices and boring and repetitive presentations of the items that most QVC viewers have seen ad nauseum are the problem.

they need to put an open survey up for all QVC customers and let us tell them.  It's talked about on the blogs & forums every day - just pay attention.

Trusted Contributor

Personally, I believe that Mike George makes mega-millions and has probably planned for any eventuality in his QVC future...so, he just defaults to the obvious, the old, the tired business models discussed on this thread.  If he weren't in such a financially advantageous position, or if there were other incentives for him to be more creative, bold or motivated to move the "bottom line" (other than cutting staff) he'd do so...therefore, they stick with their stable of "designers" and products .  I bought A LOT from QVC in the past but no more...there is no value, little quality and it's much more convenient for me to shop elsewhere with free shipping and a wider variety of items that better suit my lifestyle.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

TOO MUCH OF THE SAME PRODUCTS

TOO MANY HOSTS THAT DON'T ACT PROFESSIONAL

TOO MANY VENDORS AND HOSTS SEEING WHO CAN OUT TALK THE OTHER

TOO MUCH FOR SHIPPING ESPECIALLY FOR SHOES--MANY SITES OFFER FREE SHIPPING BOTH WAYS.

SPECIAL VALUES ARE NOT SPECIAL ANYMORE

DID I MENTION TOO MUCH OF THE SAME PRODUCTS???????????

DYSON, VIONIC, SHOE SHOPPING WITH JANE,  SPECIAL VALUES ON ALL DAY LONG AND HARDLY ANYTIME SPENT ON OTHER PRODUCTS.

NEED I GO ON????  THINK EVERYONE HERE HAS SAID THE SAME AS ME.

BY THE WAY TOO MUCH OF THE SAME PRODUCTS

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

And the speculation about WEN was correct.

I think the worst mistake they made was restructuring the shipping policy to make it appear we were saving when in actuality it's a money-maker practice that angered shoppers and stalled sales. We are not stupid; when it costs $10 to try something on, we catch on very quickly. Their move to promote screeching sales pitches and hour-long infomercials for zzzzzzz products didn't help. If their best customers are repeat ones, why in the world would you start pushing products that are bought once every 5 to 20 years. One and done buying does not align with catering to repeat customers who see nothing but hours of mattresses, vacuums, Lazy-boy chairs, and mobile phones and quit watching. You don't buy 3 or 4 of those every month. And many of these items are available from multiple retailers with good discounts. Thus the loss of Kuerig. Cutting jobs doesn't address any of these problems; it just stems the flow of cash to make stockholders happy for a few months.

Honored Contributor

I wonder if it has occurred to the corporate geniuses in West Chester that most viewers don't want to watch Christmas programming in the middle of the hottest summer on record?  Look at the airtime they waste selling cheap junk from China.  Doesn't make sense.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I think QVC would benefit greatly from a customer advisory group because they seem to be losing touch with what customers want.  

Honored Contributor

Is any higher-up at QVC going to take responsibility for the drop in sales being at least in part because it costs too much now to try on a piece of clothing or esp. shoes or purses?   Since Q stopped reimbursing us for the shipping cost on items we return, I've been purchasing less and will never buy shoes or purses from there (shipping costs are too high) again.

Just tonight I canceled a clothing item because I didn't want to lose the shipping cost if it didn't work out fo rme.

Esteemed Contributor

Well QVC wanted to do an end run around The Shopping Channel and broadcast on Canadian cable but the CRTC said nothing doing and denied QVC's application so it's not likely that QVC will ever again ship to Canada. It's not like they need television to sell stuff. And guess what? A lot of millennials don't watch much TV and lots of people have cut the cord on cable as they prefer to get their entertainment through their mobile devices.

QVC is so out of the loop. Gen X, Y, and millennials aren't going to be buying QVC clothes. And just how many times are you going to buy a high priced electronic gadget or appliance? It sure won't be from QVC that those consumers will buy from.

Bricks and mortar retailers are in trouble too and they have been having real sales to sell their wares, not these 5 dollar off an item garbage.

Google is your best friend when it comes to looking for bargains including clothes. Even in Canada where a lot of the same vendors from all of the U.S. shopping channels visit, their high prices are ridiculous and a deterent from shopping there as I can easily find similar items in brick and mortar stores for a whole lot less money. I may be a baby boomer but I'm not stupid and I have plenty of time and the drive to find a real bargain! 

Valued Contributor

Today  I received an online statement showing purchases and returns.  I had never received one online in the past.  My husband takes care of the bills.  That was a mistake on their part because I will have to slow down.  I had purchased more than I thought.  I felt ashamed of myself.  I will purchase some beauty kits during Chtistmas for gifts but I will have to minimize that.  I return some things and I have logo cardigan in the mail. 

One thing that I don't like is the $3.00 S&H, but having to pay more to return.  

Maybe the online statement was really a good thing for me.