Valued Contributor

CAVEAT EMPTOR Shoppers-may help to prevent returns!

I have gotten to research each item that I may be interested in. For instance, an IM coat was presented at a WOOL coat with fringe. Well, there was only 3% wool in it. The majority was Poly/Acrylic. So, you cant always go by the title of the item or the description. I also go by reviews-if there are not 4 or 5 stars, I don't buy it. PERIOD. Thirdly, I check specific dimensions of any garment I'm looking at, especially the length, sleeve length, width at hip area. I do watch the live video clip if there is one. I always check the fabric content as well. I find if something has a tile like WOOL or CASHMERE, a lot of time the cashmere content is less than 5%. 

I have just recently, maybe last 2 months, started shopping at the Q again. I follow my own guidelines and have only had to return a couple things and exchanged one. No matter how much I like something, if it doesn't meet all of the above conditions, I just don't take a chance and avoid a lot of irritation.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: CAVEAT EMPTOR Shoppers-may help to prevent returns!

I do all of those things and I still have to return items.

Honored Contributor

You are right.  It pays to be overly careful.  Still I have been stung sometimes.  Photos, videos, description, and measurements of the item are not always the same as what is received. 

Sizing doesn't match measurements.  Overly thin, poor quality fabrics.  Poor dying of the garment...particularly suedes.  Crooked stitching.  Poor fit despite buying according to measurements.  

Valued Contributor

@Styleovertrend There is absolutely nothing wrong with your methods, but you can still get stung. When shopping for clothing items, I always check the garment measurement charts. The vendors are notoriously inconsistent in sizing amongst themselves and within their own lines. I happen to be very sensitive about the bust line. I purchased a 1X Denim & Co. Fit & Flair top a while back. When I tried it on, it was extremely tight across the chest. When I measured it, it was only 45". I assume the top had been imprinted with the wrong size. I ended up keeping it, but will not wear it out of the house. Skin tight clothing is not my style. 

I will add that contrary to Gary and Carolyn's constant hype, the Fit & Flair style is not figure flattering IMO. I feel like I'm wearing an upside down umbrella!

Occasional Contributor

Another check point is where the garment was manufactured. Fir instance,I have noticed a top made in China (which i try to avoid but get fooled by the country called "imported ")fits smaller than those made elsewhere such as in Vietnam. Sizing chart reflects this but the word "imported " usually means China which usually is confirmed upon arrival. Another unexpected expense then is whether or not to pay the return fee after paying the fee for its arrival. I remember when the same garment ordered in different colors sent to the same address fron the Q used to have one flat fee. Only charged a return fee if one of those items was returned. Works for Zulily (affilliated with the Q) why not try it again? Would possibly sell more fashion items. Making big bucks on postage fees is also a factor that prohibits some of my purchases. I also investigate Amazon prime to compare. Buyer beware!

Valued Contributor

@Foxxee I have experienced that as well but generally if an item has several reviews, those will say if the fabric is cheap, thin or the fit was off. I pay attention to all of those and if there are more bad than good, I'm not getting it

Valued Contributor

@Xivambala you're right. I am a true size 14 on the bottom but if I went by the measurements for IM's 24/7, I would need to buy a size 18 for my hip size, according to their chart. So just don't get this item anymore because there is no consistency in these pants, IMO.

No fit and flare here either. Why would I want extra flare over my hips. I don't do peplums or any LOGO which always has funky flare at the hips and thighs and lots of extra fabric on the tummy. Maybe if one is a size 0 or 2. It would flatter.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Styleovertrend  You can't disregard an item purely by the number of stars an item received without first reading the reviews. So many times I've read the reviews and buyers will give an item a 1-Star rating because of a shipping problem. Or, the poster who gave a foundation a 1-Star rating because she (admittedly) bought the wrong shade. Another buyer gave a pair of shoes a 1-Star rating because the shoes did not fit her deformed feet. Those shoes were not advertised as orthopedic shoes in the first place. 

Also, you can't always go by the manufacturer's description, e.g., "True to size." I purchased a pair of Taryn Rose slides and ordered according to their description of being true to size. I ended up with the third pair, a whole size larger than my normal size, being the right fit. Unfortunately, at the time I ordered these shoes, there were no reviews to go by as they were a brand new item

Often times, these low ratings have zero to do with the actual product. If I was the vendor of products receiving bad reviews for no fault of the item, I would not be happy.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

Shoe reviews are the worst. Some say too narrow, others too wide. Unless it's Skechers, I don't order shoes from TV.

Honored Contributor

I am happy to say that I have eliminated many purchases from QVC and other shopping channels by following the same basic things that OP said. I research first and most times, I can find the same things elswhere for less and usually with free shiping/returns and shipped in a more timely manner. Takes some time but well worth it. I don't fall for the hurry up and buy before is sells out spiel.