Honored Contributor

Re: CAN WE PLEASE SHOW FASHION SENSE.....

Hi Spurt1

I agree with what you say and it is very well said.  I am sure the fashion industry would prefer only making designs for the smaller women.  But at least there is more variety for all sizes than when I was younger.  

As I stated we all should know what we can and cannot wear but there are those who will buy into the sell and think every garment is for them as you said.  The vendors and hosts will always praise and push these outfits to all, they aren't going to ever say it would look better on a smaller person or this is not a fashion for everyone.  We have to make the decisions based on our bodies and I'm sure we all have bought clothes and returned them.

You make good points but buying from a shopping channel is always a risk and challenge.  You never know how something will fit or look until you try it on.  I dont' order very much because I have enough and my Q viewing has gone down quite a bit

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate all points of view!

Valued Contributor

@Spurt I'm right with you on the too, too tight pants that pull across the thighs and highlight the crotch area.  Bad look no matter what size but more noticeable on the larger models.  You very rarely if never see dark Maria in skin tight clothes, but I think the too tight look is part of QVC's desire for a younger, hipper demographic.

Yesterday and today I've had QVC on a little more.  I saw Kerstin, who has a great figure, in a tee-shirt that did not fit her shoulders and the arms were too tight.  Caroline had on a horizontal striped tunic and I thought she looked great, though I wish she'd wear straighter legged jeans instead of skinny ankle or cropped pants.  I saw a larger model in skin tight crops and I thought she looked awful.  I've seen super thin Katia in leggings and I thought she looked awful too.  My opinion only, but everything does not look good on everyone

I have very obvious figure flaws and no one wpuld ever mistake me for a Victoria's Secret model.  But I'm smart enough to know that any clothing 2 sizes too small will not make ME look 2 sizes smaller.

Esteemed Contributor

Speaking only for myself, I think a lot of the leggings the hosts and models wear look more like they're wearing pantyhose. Pantyhose in various colors of course but pantyhose nonetheless. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt Spurt- you are so. so correct about all of the models looking good in clothing by Louis del Ollio and Bob Mackey, not so much with the other vendors.  You are also correct about QVC's focus on trendiness,  Lori Goldstein is single-handedly keeping the BOHO look alive.  I'm just guessing the models are "stuffed" into smaller sizes because if they actually wore their proper size the fit would be totally off.  Example: jackets or coat that cannot closed.  If they went up a size the jacket/coat would be too big in the shoulders.  Don't get me started on the sausage casings called pants.  During a Kim Gravel segment, Kim, the host and two model had on the same pants and for some reason they all had to turn around and show their heinies.  The plus model looked the worse.

Honored Contributor

I differ with some--I feel QVC caters to plus sizes.  Try to find a small size in many brands and they must have ordered 5, because none are ever available.  Also, note QVC's resistance to offering petite sizes.  When they say "this will be fine for petites", I don't think that is true in most cases.  They just want to sell.  Alterations are costly and so are returns.  

Honored Contributor

@Spurt  A simple answer as to why the clothes don't fit as well is because (look at them) the tops don't have darts.

Remember darts?  It takes time for a manufacturer to plan some kind of dart into the fabric.  

THATs why it either just HANGS or is tight.  I recently saw a presentation by Louis and HE mentioned darts.

He's a designer and he knows about the importance of some kind of darts.  It doesn't have to be totally obvious (a dart) just something that lifts up the bustline and comes downward.

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@Spurt Spurt- you are so. so correct about all of the models looking good in clothing by Louis del Ollio and Bob Mackey, not so much with the other vendors.  You are also correct about QVC's focus on trendiness,  Lori Goldstein is single-handedly keeping the BOHO look alive.  I'm just guessing the models are "stuffed" into smaller sizes because if they actually wore their proper size the fit would be totally off.  Example: jackets or coat that cannot closed.  If they went up a size the jacket/coat would be too big in the shoulders.  Don't get me started on the sausage casings called pants.  During a Kim Gravel segment, Kim, the host and two model had on the same pants and for some reason they all had to turn around and show their heinies.  The plus model looked the worse.

@qbetzforreal 

You said it well and I totally agree....Lori is keeping alive the BOHO look because it seems thats the only design she knows...Good observation on the never closed jackets....

Unfortunately I saw "that big reveal" on Kim's show....Cat Surprised

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

I differ with some--I feel QVC caters to plus sizes.  Try to find a small size in many brands and they must have ordered 5, because none are ever available.  Also, note QVC's resistance to offering petite sizes.  When they say "this will be fine for petites", I don't think that is true in most cases.  They just want to sell.  Alterations are costly and so are returns.  

@Daysdee 

Im a petite and I hear you....and I don't understand why the aversion because petites seem to be good sellers...My sister bought a dress on sale at dillards....it was marked down to $14 but it was going to cost $36 to shorten it a little Woman Frustrated 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Spurt  A simple answer as to why the clothes don't fit as well is because (look at them) the tops don't have darts.

Remember darts?  It takes time for a manufacturer to plan some kind of dart into the fabric.  

THATs why it either just HANGS or is tight.  I recently saw a presentation by Louis and HE mentioned darts.

He's a designer and he knows about the importance of some kind of darts.  It doesn't have to be totally obvious (a dart) just something that lifts up the bustline and comes downward.

@Annabellethecat66 

My mom and aunt loved to sew and make dresses.... so I know about darts and how wonderful they make clothes fit...yet few manufactures incorporate them.....

Honored Contributor

@bootsanne wrote:

@Spurt I'm right with you on the too, too tight pants that pull across the thighs and highlight the crotch area.  Bad look no matter what size but more noticeable on the larger models.  You very rarely if never see dark Maria in skin tight clothes, but I think the too tight look is part of QVC's desire for a younger, hipper demographic.

Yesterday and today I've had QVC on a little more.  I saw Kerstin, who has a great figure, in a tee-shirt that did not fit her shoulders and the arms were too tight.  Caroline had on a horizontal striped tunic and I thought she looked great, though I wish she'd wear straighter legged jeans instead of skinny ankle or cropped pants.  I saw a larger model in skin tight crops and I thought she looked awful.  I've seen super thin Katia in leggings and I thought she looked awful too.  My opinion only, but everything does not look good on everyone

I have very obvious figure flaws and no one wpuld ever mistake me for a Victoria's Secret model.  But I'm smart enough to know that any clothing 2 sizes too small will not make ME look 2 sizes smaller.

@bootsanne 

Its like there is no common sense in fashion and some designers and stylists need to have their vision checked.....