Trusted Contributor

Re: CAN WE PLEASE SHOW FASHION SENSE.....

Years ago, I remember Kathy Levine’s clothing presentations were all about the fit. She even had said many time, “if you’re big in the hips/ petite/ busty, etc.,  then this isn’t the right piece for you.” Now it’s about, “this will be good on everyone”.  NOT!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Carol Diane wrote:

My pet peeve is when they ask a model what size jacket they are wearing and they say something like "large" and there's a foot of open space between the zippers.  They wouldn't be able to close it for all the money in the world.  I wear my jackets opened but I want to at least know I COULD zip it if I had to.  Telling me what size they're wearing is no help at all.  They look ridiculous.

@Carol Diane   When I see that, I go up a size or two to the size they SHOULD be wearing.  Yes, it looks ridiculous.

Honored Contributor

I've thought for a long time that the Q needs to hire a new group of stylists. I could probably do a better job myself, and I'm no professional! Lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

Even a woman from her sick bed is able to express the negative a lot of us see on our tv screen, as well as in clothing ads elsewhere!  LOL.  If you get caught up in the sales hype, you will lose your fashion (and common) sense.  I think most of us gals know what looks good on us despite what the sales people say. I've always felt I was in a battle with the industry to not fall for their latest "fashion" statement. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I dont believe it is the vendors fault at all.  They design the item then try to sell it.  

Why things look awful on the hosts and models is the wardrobe people at QVC.  Some of the outfits I see on the models and hosts are horrible.  They put models in black and dark colors and we viewing on TV cant see it well.  They cover things up with huge scarves, sweaters and tops so we cant see the blouse, tee or whatever they are featuring.

Carolyn and Jane T are two of the best examples of poor fitting clothes.  They may have the nicest, cutest thing on but since it does not fit properly it looks dumpy.  I do not believe its Carolyns or Janes fault, they wear what they are told by the fashion "experts."

@Imaoldhippie   Boy you said a mouthful about Carolyn & Jane T. Whoever is styling them is working in the wrong field. Or doesn't like either one of them.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt : You mentioned Amy constantly saying she's 5 feet 2 and a half inches tall, while modeling long tunics and saying they're not too long for petite women. This is a pet peeve of mine. She wears the highest stiletto heels known to mankind, making her closer to 5 feet 7 inches tall! If you want to be straightforward with your viewers, just wear flat or moderate heels when modeling the tunics.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@handygal2 wrote:

@Spurt : You mentioned Amy constantly saying she's 5 feet 2 and a half inches tall, while modeling long tunics and saying they're not too long for petite women. This is a pet peeve of mine. She wears the highest stiletto heels known to mankind, making her closer to 5 feet 7 inches tall! If you want to be straightforward with your viewers, just wear flat or moderate heels when modeling the tunics.

@handygal2 

If she says she's representing petites....it not only impacts tunics, but also the length of pants, jeans capri's, skirt's, and dresses....I want to see where the length hits for a petite, not one wearing stiletto's making her 5'7" it really irks me.....If she is going to tell viewers she's petite---then she needs  to wear flats or sandals without a heel.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

I also think the QVC stylists need to be retrained or fired!!    So often the hosts and/or models look so unattractive dressed in QVC clothing!!  I don't know if the hosts/models have any say about their presentation outfits, but you'd think there were zero mirrors in their dress rooms!!

The two QVC styling examples I hate most are:

a.   skin tight pants of any length -- not a good look  across thighs or in the cr*tch area

b.   jackets that are so tight across the bustline, it 

could never be closed

Honored Contributor

@Spurt  I've wondered more than once over the years where some of the "stylists" got their education or experience.  I can honestly say that I don't get hung up on size because I've learned over the years that clothing manufacturers are not consistent. 

It's funny, my beloved store JCP now recommends a size for me based on other items that I have purchased.  I've shopped there most consistently over a 38 year period and sometimes they'll recommend a size in pants or jeans and I'll think, maybe if I want it to look shrink wrapped on me and I'll go up a size. 99% I was right and they were wrong, lol.

Like my mother used to say, just because you can doesn't mean you should.  This has nothing to do with body shaming another individual.  My Ma was of the opinion that after 40, buy skirts that graze or cover the knee.  She said she didn't care if you had legs like Cyd Charisse, knees starts looking funky after 40 Woman LOL

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I agree.  I know it's their job to sell, sell, sell, but I do think, for example, Ms. Logo saying over and over "anything goes with everything, everything goes with everything" doesn't help matters.  That's SO not true, Ms. G!  Stop creating the need for eye bleach when I see people out in public who foolishly follow your advice.  Smiley Happy