Honored Contributor

CAN WE PLEASE SHOW FASHION SENSE.....

[ Edited ]

OK not much on TV today and it seems a cold is coming on, I'm feeling miserable so vegging out watching QVC  (thankfully AAF football will be on later)....

Some background....

The other day I heard a fashion designer on one those talk shows discuss spring fashions----she said "I never follow trends because some styles do not look good on everyone and every body type, but women want to feel stylish so they wear them with disastrous results....."   

I wish I remembered her name because I gave her a standing ovation...WOW!!! A designer that actually GETS IT!!!...And I heard it echoed a second time in a magazine....I wanted to send this TV clip and article to QVC'S CEO Mike George to share with QVC "designers".....

As I was watching QVC'S Spring Fashion event I had to laugh out loud....If I was a model I'd be embarrased to be on national TV wearing some of these outfits ....Neither would I as a customer want to emulate these styles....

For example A346610 was shown on a larger size model, she had more of a pear body shape and a bit of a tummy, she modeled a wrap blouse that tied on the side and had a concave point shape in the middle and the sides of the blouse cascaded  down at the hips slightly.  On the larger model it looked like the whole outfit highlighted her crotch area!!!....not a good look!!!.....

On another show it featured models in tight tight skin jeans that were so tight they emphasized the thigh and hip area, every lump and bump... And even XXS model, Catia, look bad, can you imagine on larger models how it got only worse...If the models sat down I think the pants would've split......But the vendor seemed pleased with the look and stretchability of the fabric.....

A lot of the outfits on the models looked downright AWFUL! 

And what the heck was that Skinny T vendor wearing...not flattering at all......

And ALi's video clips on WAYS TO STYLE outfits looked downright frumpy.....

I know everyone has their own style and taste but I cant help but shake my head on Q's stylist and designers..WHAT ARE THEY THINKING !?!?!?!?!....and I'd like to know the number of returns QVC gets in apparel....

Sorry Isaac but a peplum top makes some look pregnant....and sorry Gary but jackets and tops that hit right at the waist do not camuflouage, instead it emphasizes tummy and hips...Carolyn would look better in slightly longer jackets and tops....

When I tune in to a Linea Show or Bob Mackie Show---everyone is nicely styled and every shape and size model looks great....AWWWW  but they are true designers

I know I dont have to watch QVC...I also know how to use a remote no reminders needed...just some observations ....and QVC's stylist and designers might want to focus on the variety of body shapes and sizes they are working with....

And shoppers focus on what looks good on YOU instead of trends or fads....I see these same fashion blunders in the workplace and when I'm out and about....

While on escalators I've seen Logo tops that look worn and pilled ....and WWC type pants that seem to encourage wiggling and jiggling.....

I cant get the image out of mind of a curvier girl at the work lounge area sink wearing skin tight white leggings....and the leggings were see through so you could also see she was wearing emoji underwear....and a red top tied at the bottom revealing her muffin top....that image haunts me and makes me wish QVC and other retailers urged people to buy mirrors and check their styling...SMH

I know there are more serious things going on in the world, but thanks for letting this girl with a cold vent, and this is afterall a shopping channel forum...have a good one!!! Woman Very Happy  Kitty please pass the tissue

9488aef9d51c0d2299c735632d4af98a.jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Re: CAN WE PLEASE SHOW FASHION SENSE.....

So right about the skinny tees on today and presenter.

I tried them a few years ago and will not be buying anymore.

I do not need one in every color. Especially at that price.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt   Well, I understand what you are saying.  This is a place where everyone should be able to come and voice their opinion without (I've probably done it too) anyone saying change the channel (I've also done that too).  Phew!

My complaint is the way the model's pants are so tight it's just not attractive.

I understand that's how they're dressed and THAT's what I'm saying...

I'm speaking for myself, when I see those beyone skin tight pants it makes me NOT want to buy them.

In fact, as many pants as I've bought had I not tried them once, I'd have NEVER bought them based on what I see on QVC.

I do like the 24/7 pants but I also get them a little bigger because I don't want them showing every zit and mole on my thighs.

I like the way the inside of the pants feels a little silky and they slide over my legs and don't STICK to them.

This is my opinion.  Isn't this a place where we should be able to come and voice our opinions?  Or has that changed too?

Honored Contributor

Gee @Spurt , you do tend to get philosophical when you're feeling miserable.  You're right on target with your remarks.  My favorite is Gary Goben telling us horizontal stripes are camouflaging and will make us look thinner.  I think he thinks if he tells that story enough times, he and we will believe it.

I hope you get to feeling better and you don't have to go to work tomorrow feeling miserable.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My girlfriend used to say a lot of people have magic mirrors.  They look at themselves and think they look good and in reality they don't.  

There are two sides to this, however.  I understand what is being said as far as many of these fashions looking good on everyone.  Certainly a vendor isn't going to sell on the Q and say this top is really for slim ladies as an example.  Therefore all styles are offered for all sizes and those of us who wear plus are grateful.  

I like many of the styles and designs but I also know what will and won't look good on me. Therefore it is my decision whether or not to buy, the host or vendor do not influence me in the least.  With that being said if a woman feels comfortable and happy in something someone else thinks does nothing for her, I say go for it.  As long as it is somewhat tasteful and not showing anything which shouldn't be shown. 

It's all about money and the designers will make clothes as they see fit and the buyers will buy what they like.  The Q is a shopping channel which means hosts and vendors are pushing their products any way they can.  It is good to have all sizes models because it does help to see how an outfit will look.  

I am in the middle of this because all women should be able to wear what they want as look as they feel good, it is appropriate and they are comfortable.  For too long the fashion industry catered to the very slim and now every shape has variety.  You are the best judge of your body and what looks good, happy shopping!!!!!

Feel better, Spurt!!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Spurt   Well, I understand what you are saying.  This is a place where everyone should be able to come and voice their opinion without (I've probably done it too) anyone saying change the channel (I've also done that too).  Phew!

My complaint is the way the model's pants are so tight it's just not attractive.

I understand that's how they're dressed and THAT's what I'm saying...

I'm speaking for myself, when I see those beyone skin tight pants it makes me NOT want to buy them.

In fact, as many pants as I've bought had I not tried them once, I'd have NEVER bought them based on what I see on QVC.

I do like the 24/7 pants but I also get them a little bigger because I don't want them showing every zit and mole on my thighs.

I like the way the inside of the pants feels a little silky and they slide over my legs and don't STICK to them.

This is my opinion.  Isn't this a place where we should be able to come and voice our opinions?  Or has that changed too?

@Annabellethecat66 

Oh there's a few that seem to get upset if you have an opinion provide some feedback.  These folks quickly recommend the remote, or ask why focus on the trivial...
In Texas speak I was just trying to "head them off at the pass".. Smiley Wink

ITA these too tight clothes are just a turn off to me too....and that goes for too tight tops and jackets too.... What happened to clothes that fit properly???? Tight clothes don't look good!  One QVC host said....stylists told her not to wear clothes too loose because it makes you look bigger, and clothes that fit a liitle snug make you look slimmer...Sorry, I think clothes that fit properly make you look GOOD!

Have a good evening Annabellethecat!  Always nice chatting with you....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt , You nailed it. 👏👏👏👏

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I think what @Spurt  is saying is that the sellers/vendors/hosts/QVC itself are all supposed to be the "experts" and, while yes they are trying to sell, sell, sell, they might take a small step back to be, dare I say it, truthful.

Maybe that is too much to hope for.

We all know that they are there to sell.

What we maybe don't acknowledge is that a lot of buyers don't have good sense or good taste.  And, in spite of their "maybe" expert status, a lot of the sellers don't either.

I guess I got a bit off topic from Spurt's post.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

My pet peeve is when they ask a model what size jacket they are wearing and they say something like "large" and there's a foot of open space between the zippers.  They wouldn't be able to close it for all the money in the world.  I wear my jackets opened but I want to at least know I COULD zip it if I had to.  Telling me what size they're wearing is no help at all.  They look ridiculous.

Trusted Contributor

It’s all about selling, they don’t care what you look like in their clothes as long as they sell them, so they will try to appeal to as many buyers as possible.  It’s up to us to know what looks good and what doesn’t...and I would think by a certain age we would know that.  a good percentage of the clothes I see are not flattering on anyone, but that’s my personal opinion...yes they are designers, but they are also sales people as well and of course the hosts are only interested in selling, that’s their job...it’s ours to know whats good for us and what’s not.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it