Occasional Contributor

So happy to hear that Kim Gravel understand the need for bust darts in her woven tops.

I wish that other designers would understand this. If they don't put in darts, the tops lift up, and it creats extra fabric under the arm. Bless Gary from Denim and Company for putting darts in his clothes. 

Trusted Contributor

I dislike them.  We're not all built alike. Not all darts hit in the right place. They can look dowdy.  If clothes are mass-produced, it's unlikely that the darts are going to work for everyone.  

I find, for the mostpart, seaming can contour a piece of clothing without creating the problems darts can. 

Honored Contributor

I hate those darts!  Unless you are made similar to the fit models that were used when producing the clothing, chances are they will not be in the right place!  Even when they seem to fit ok when not moving, after moving around - well just a bad look!! 

Honored Contributor

I can't wear anything with bust darts or princess seams as I have no bust to fill them out---had breast cancer with mastectomies which I have have chosen not to re- contruct so am flat as a pancake----happily so, I might add. But man, does it make fitting tops so hard to do or find. 

Trusted Contributor

@wagirlI have a problem with bust darts because as I'm getting older my bust and the darts aren't near each other.  LOL !!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Once  i see bust darts any top i want to purchase...i don't....when i was young they were fine...but at an older age things don't stay in the same place .....and the darts never line up well with the body......so many times and yesterday i noticed twice the models didn't even line up

with them and the top bunched awkwardly........it seems these days David Dangle and Gary G. seem to think they are just marvelous and put them on almost every new garment........can't help wonder if they are losing sales for that reason....wonder if their breasts are in the same place as 20 years ago!!!!

Honored Contributor

Coming from someone who has big boobs, I detest bust darts.  Another old lady feature of clothing.  

I recently used the "old lady" comment on antoher thread and was challenged to defend it.

Sorry, I won't.  Bust darts are old lady.

(I am not a spring chicken.)

Esteemed Contributor

I am larger busted as well and I hate bust darts.  But I can not deny that they do make the garment fit better.  Otherwise, the top may be too big and loose at the bottom.  That being said, darts on blouses I have received do not quite fall in the right place for me.  So if there are darts, I am likely to pass on any future blouses.  Tops with princess seaming works best for me.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

Coming from someone who has big boobs, I detest bust darts.  Another old lady feature of clothing.  

I recently used the "old lady" comment on antoher thread and was challenged to defend it.

Sorry, I won't.  Bust darts are old lady.

(I am not a spring chicken.)

If you mean me, I am sorry. I pretty much love free speech. I don’t even find the term offensive. Just not a fan of the term. Again I am sorry if you felt you had to defend it. You don’t. @faeriemoon 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

I like bust darts on some tops and don’t like them on other top. I like that there is an option. For awhile there bust darts were rare. Plus darts are one of the easiest parts of sewing.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.