Respected Contributor

Re: Bring Back High Calibre Hosts

[ Edited ]

@Ginger&Olive I wish you'd use a larger type font size.  I also wish you'd break up the posting into paragraphs.  What you've posted here is next to impossible to read and digest.

The "hosts" are salesmen.  Do you walk into a store, find that you dislike the salesmen for some reason, and demand that tthe owners fire them all and hire ones that you like?  I doubt it.  You shop elsewhere.  Here's an idea.  Do the same thing with ANY of the TV Shopping Channels.  Shop elsewhere.

Esteemed Contributor

We all have our preferences when it comes to hosting but I think we all agree, for the most part, that we, or should I say I like them to be professional, present accurate information, allow vendors to explain their products and keep the show moving along.

Some of the hosts that have been around for awhile seem to have forgotten the shows are not about them.  When there is a beauty show with a model and a makeup artist I don't want to see the host ignoring both by spending her time apply makeup to herself, walking around the set with her minions following behind and running off stage to change clothes.  

There are thousands of beauty products on QVC, how can a host say they use everything they present, or each and every hair dryer is their favorate?  

Jill and yes Lisa were exceptional during holiday shows and had a flair for deccorating, both worked very well with Valerie Parr Hill. (unlike last night, poor Valerie with Rick)  I really like most of the new hosts and most will get better and better.  Most of the mature hosts are great although some are unwatchable to me, the more manic ones.  They seem to forget they are sales people and not star entertainers.  I don't mind personal info if its a natural part of a conversation but I don't need to know all their personal info.

If you have read all of this, Thank you.  Sometimes we all need to vent Smiley Frustrated

Honored Contributor

As long as the host doesn't gush or giggle, I'm okay with them no matter their age. I like more serious and product oriented hosts.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cats3000 wrote:

@Ginger&Olive I wish you'd use a larger type font size.  I also wish you'd break up the posting into paragraphs.  What you've posted here is next to impossible to read and digest.

The "hosts" are salesmen.  Do you walk into a store, find that you dislike the salesmen for some reason, and demand thattthee owners fire them all and hire ones that you like?  I doubt it.  You shop elsewhere.  Here's an idea.  Do the same thing with ANY of the TV Shopping Channels.  Shop elsewhere.

@Cats3000 wrote:

The "hosts" are salesmen.  Do you walk into a store, find that you dislike the salesmen for some reason, and demand thattthee owners fire them all and hire ones that you like?  I doubt it.  You shop elsewhere.  Here's an idea.  Do the same thing with ANY of the TV Shopping Channels.  Shop elsewhere.

@Cats3000 

Sales people in stores versus hosts on shopping channels are two very different occupations....I dont see a real analogy

When was the last time IN STORE:

1. When has a Sales Associate took time out to share their personnel lives, tell you all bout their kids, their vacations, what movies they saw etc 

2.  When did a Sales Associate share with you all the places you could wear the clothes you are purchasing

3.  Did the Sales Associate peek into the dressing room and tell you the height, weight, and size of the other customers trying on clothes....

4.  Has a Sales Associate ever did a hand stand like Kerstin did???? 

5.  Has a Sales Associate ever done a "happy dance"???

6.  Has a Sales Associate ever took you aside to go over your color options again, and again, and again????

7.  Has a SalesAssociatee invited you to follow them on theirFacebook Page? ?

8.  While QVC hosts aren't on commission, a lot of Sales Associates are...

9  Has the Sales Associate ever given you a history of the product manufacturer?

10.  Has the Sales Associate hosted any Facebook Live Events from the store??

The only thing an IN-STORE a Sales Associate has done for me is ask if I was using a store credit card and rung up my purchase, or occasionally check to see if something was in stock in a different size....VERY, VERY, VERY, different from what a QVC host does....

QVC is on TV--- a different medium. If a host annoys enough viewers to make them shop elsewhere that will impact QVC's Management's decision as to whether they will renew a host's contract.....(sales impact salary, increases, bonuses, and contract renewals)  And don't customer's determine sales???

The only thing  IN-STORE Sales Associates have in common with QVC hosts is sales goals...which is also determined by customers. Management can also fire employees for rudeness too...

So customers are allowed to give opinions and feedback which management reviews and then takes the appropriate action that's in the best interest of their business....Sales personnel that irritate, annoy, and make customers shop elsewhere are NOT a valued employee for the company whether IN-STORE or on TV

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

I would imagine QVC management "might" read some of these posts; but (and this is a huge but) I think what they really look at is how much money a host brings in. 

Yes, maybe there are critiques about hosts sharing personal lives and dancing, but if sales are up during those shows then that is what matters. 

Years ago I went on the QVC tour and one thing that stuck in my mind was the control area.  If a host said something and calls started coming in quicker, the director would whisper that in the host's ear and they would use that phrase again.  Something in what they said resonated with the consumer and got the sales jumping.

It is all about the sales.  If Jane Doe doesn't like funny faces and writes about that on this message board, oh well, sales jumped up and the host is encouraged again to make that face or show enthusiasm by dancing.  Jane Doe is one out of 100 million possible viewers.

Bottom line -- do whatever to bring in the money.

Honored Contributor

@hellodali wrote:

I would imagine QVC management "might" read some of these posts; but (and this is a huge but) I think what they really look at is how much money a host brings in. 

Yes, maybe there are critiques about hosts sharing personal lives and dancing, but if sales are up during those shows then that is what matters. 

Years ago I went on the QVC tour and one thing that stuck in my mind was the control area.  If a host said something and calls started coming in quicker, the director would whisper that in the host's ear and they would use that phrase again.  Something in what they said resonated with the consumer and got the sales jumping.

It is all about the sales.  If Jane Doe doesn't like funny faces and writes about that on this message board, oh well, sales jumped up and the host is encouraged again to make that face or show enthusiasm by dancing.  Jane Doe is one out of 100 million possible viewers.

@hellodali.  You are right on with your post. No way would the powers that be get rid of a host who brings in the money no matter how many posters complained. And everyone likes and dislikes different hosts. Ones that get complaints also get compliments from someone else.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For me personaly there are tenured hosts that annoy and irritate me, as well as tenured hosts that are very good in their job.  Same with the newer hosts.  I think it depends on the individual and how much time and effort they are willing to put into their job...

To me a good host is professional, has a pleasant personality and voice, is well-prepared--knows their products and relays all the details to the viewer, lets the vendor speak, and asks the quesions that a prospective buyer would.  They make the product the star, NOT themselves.  They are not robotic nor scripted.  They interject their personality into a show with a bit of fun but never to the point of being silly or making it all about themselves.  😊

Ive seen so many hosts that are ill prepared dont know their products, they won't let the vendor complete a sentence.  Some talk like auctioneers, some act bored with their job and you can tell they just wish the show was over are very scripted and just repeat sales slogans/gimmicks, some make the show all about themselves and act silly.  Some ignore the whole point of their job--the product and product information, they just do colors every few minutes......😒

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hellodali wrote:

@hellodali 

But it doesn't work just one way--funny faces coupled with customer comments plus lower sales......how does that work

One host in particular that gets mentioned quite a bit was moved from her prime time perch, the job permanently given to someone else, and she was moved to later hours and wee hours of the morning...normally reserved for newer hosts..Also lots of reshuffling after the financial results came out and weren't so hot...hmmmmm.....Your right sales are important but a combination of factors are tied together and they can work for both good or bad for a host...( less people watching = less possible sales)

And there's a difference between potential viewers versus actual viewers. And with so many people cutting the cable cord many no longer get QVC, and like those that don't get QVC 2 or 3 they refuse to stream on other devices due to max internet data limits...This was even mentioned in QVC's last press conference

Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@hellodali wrote:

@hellodali 

But it doesn't work just one way--funny faces coupled with customer comments plus lower sales......how does that work

One host in particular that gets mentioned quite a bit was moved from her prime time perch, the job permanently given to someone else, and she was moved to later hours and wee hours of the morning...normally reserved for newer hosts..Also lots of reshuffling after the financial results came out and weren't so hot...hmmmmm.....Your right sales are important but a combination of factors are tied together and they can work for both good or bad for a host...( less people watching = less possible sales)

And there's a difference between potential viewers versus actual viewers. And with so many people cutting the cable cord many no longer get QVC, and like those that don't get QVC 2 or 3 they refuse to stream on other devices due to max internet data limits...This was even mentioned in QVC's last press conference

@Spurt   I totally understand what you are saying; however, do we really know why this person was moved?  No one here is privy to that type of information.  Perhaps she is child sitting in the late morning/early afternoon?  We just don't know.  We can assume, but I have learned never to assume. 

We have been accustomed to thinking the late-late evening/early morning is for the novice, but when the TSV is introduced here on the East Coast, it is only 9PM in CA.  New management likes to make changes and it seems that is what they are doing.  Maybe they will scratch their heads and say "well, that didn't work", or maybe they won't.

Like I said, it is the bottom line that counts.