Occasional Contributor

Bring Back High Calibre Hosts

Although I am smack dab, age wise, between the two generations hosting the majority of QVC shows, I much prefer the older hosts. At the end of the day, those who have been around the longest are the most knowledgeable about products, life, guests and more likely to get a sale from me. I am so tired of watching these doe-eyed Disney characters ask guests 1,000 questions as if they never read up on the products, or just popped out of a bubble. Also, echoing a few other posts, I don't want to hear about a host's personal picks and life occurrences over and over. I tune in to see products and listen to informed guests, not listen to hosts talk over them or weigh in with insipid remarks -- or worse, statements that make them look ridiculous. The days of Lisa Robertson are gone. They have been. Mary Beth Roe, Pat James Dementri, Jayne Browne, Dan Hughes, Mary DeAngelis and Jane Treacy have appealing personalities and don't seem like they're trying to make comission like some. They also don't insert themselves too much into their segments. I stopped watching a few months ago and now only occassionally shop online. For QVC shoppers' sake, I hope QVC rectifies this and starts hiring class acts like Lisa Robertson in lieu of overly perky or quirky bubbleheads. I've heard I'm not the only one who's tuning out. Lastly, with the exit of Jill Bauer, it's very evident who is vying to replace her as the home expert. And as a former shelter editor, be sure you don't hire someone who all of a sudden is purporting to be a style queen. Hire outside of QVC and find an actual interior designer for those of us who enjoy home decor and expect someone who actually understands elements behind it, like Pat James Dementri does with gardening. QVC has become way too HSN since partnering. Next there will be an explosion of tacky leopardwear and junky house goods. It seems they're heading that way with hosts. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Bring Back High Calibre Hosts

I wholeheartedly disagree.  I think some of the seasoned hosts are deadly boring.  They spend plenty of time talking about their private lives.  They are seasoned because they started young and now have years of experience.  How would they have gotten it if they hadn't been allowed to mature on camera?  I enjoy the change of pace and new viewpoints.  I think most of the newbies have great potential.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Most of the older hosts get on my nerves, they have the same old selling lines and if I hear" 20 dollar bill alert" one more time I'll scream. I don't want hosts telling me how to budget my money for purchases either. The new kids on the block IMO are very easy on the eyes and usually fun to watch. I don't care about their personal lives, they are never going to be my friends, they just want to part me from my dollar.

Honored Contributor

I have to laugh at the reference to Lisa Robertson being high caliber.

I used to think that if I heard "amazing, amazing", "so Madison Avenue", "moneyed", "beautiful, beautiful" and a whole other assortment of repetitive phrases aimed at making us aspire to that "lifestyle", I'd........

Well, I'd do just what I did - switch the TV off!  (Is that you, Johnnysbro?) Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

Truth be told, I only watch and shop QVC for the ITEMS I am interested in--I never care who the host may be, although some appeal to me more than others.

It is interesting to see the mix of new and senior hosts.  Different styles and personalities appeal to different shoppers.

I always enjoy hosts who are knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the products.

I know a lot about jewelry, more than most of the hosts, so I never judge them for not being experts.  

I also like to see diverse representation among hosts and models.  QVC is still very weak in representing Latina and Asian populations--huge untapped markets.

Since the average woman in the US is at least size 14, glad they have expanded the size representation in fashion.

I buy from QVC because of unique products and fair prices--NEVER due to a host!!

Honored Contributor

"Leopardwear" - LOL.  Very chic!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with a lot of what you said, but one more reference to Lisa Robertson and I might have thought you were a certain "Bro" here in disguise with this post. Smiley LOLSmiley WinkSmiley LOL 

Bottom line is whether hosts are young, old, brand new, or very well seasoned, we all have the ones we enjoy and others we simply cannot watch. That will never, ever change. Your dud of a host could very well be my absolute favorite...and vice versa.  

Honored Contributor

I never considered LR to be what I would call "high calibre".  I would reserve that "distinction" to some of the older, seasoned hosts, but not LR.  My biggest problem with some of the newer, and even not-so-newer, is the speed at which they speak.  Hosts will continue to come and go.  Hopefully, some of the newer hosts will mature into "high calibre" given time.

Trusted Contributor

I prefer the senior hosts, but the important fact is that it is a different retail world now.  I have been a Q customer since 1990, and I can remember the hosts saying they had homework - they had to study what they would be selling so that their presentations could be accurate.  I don't know if that happens now, but some of these new hosts couldn't sell a pencil let alone a thousand dollar Christmas tree.  No longer is the Q on as background anymore - I check online most of the time.  It's sad, but that is life now.

Honored Contributor

Hmmmmmmm  very very interesting.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee