Honored Contributor

If you add bran to your diet, you will feel brand new.

Honored Contributor

It has certainly been true through most of my lifetime that those who appeared on TV or radio were held to a higher standard in their diction and speaking manner than the average person with a regional accent or less than perfect diction, who was not being paid, as television and radio people are, to represent the station/company, theoretically as a class act, i.e. "Best" representation of what the company stands for.

Local news people on TV and radio, and those in local ads, speak any way they like because they are appealing to the locals. Presumably, QVC is happy to have their hosts appear as "just folks", which is fine. But they also sell $400+ handbags and $1000+ jewelry, as two examples, and "designer" clothing lines, so at least in part they are also telling us they are very much NOT "just folks." You can't really have it both ways. Or maybe you can, for those under 40.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor
Very well put, moonchilde.
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Two words in response to concerns about Pat not properly enunciating the ""d"" at the end of the word ""brand"" and with respect to the whole notion that broadcasters should have excellent all around speaking skills: Amy Stran...

'Nuff said...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

I'd rather all the hosts said ""bran new"" than read posts here that say ""wah lah"" (for voila).

Honored Contributor
On 2/28/2015 SUHSE39 said: My only response is Holy Moly, am I glad I don't work in the media field! Have you ever had a job, where, you felt so discouraged, because, it seemed you were nit picked to death? Imagine having, potentially millions of nits, picking! Host: you wanted to see me? Boss: Yes, we have some viewer comments: The letter D. Host: Excuse me? Boss: The letter D, it seems you are pronouncing the word Brand as Bran! Host: Well, to be honest, that seems pretty minor. Boss: Minor? Minor? Do you realize how many thousands of people may have been forced to change the channel? Host: I'm sorry, I don't mean to be disrespectful, I'm just working so hard on my list of complaints. I'm currently working on my hair being both too long and too short, and too curly and too straight. And there's the thing about my teeth; I never realized it, but, they're too big for my mouth! And I'm trying to remember not to mention my Cat. I got a lot of complaints, from Dog people and Bird people, and kid people, people who don't like any animals! You really think this D thing is a problem? Boss: Your attitude is a problem! And please tell me You are not going to wear Black pants, on the air, again! (Sorry OP, the devil made me do it)

Cheers to you, Suhse!

IMO, people need to worry about their own faults and limitations and not worry so much about others. I'll take someone who doesn't pronounce a word just perfect over a snob or critical person any day of the week.

Honored Contributor
On 2/28/2015 Clover29 said:

I'd rather all the hosts said "bran new" than read posts here that say "wah lah" (for voila).

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Isn't that the truth... And although I let a lot of most of the hosts idiosyncrasies pass me by, every time Lisa said wah lah I used to sort of cringe...

Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor
On 2/28/2015 handygal said: Mis-pronunciations and bad grammar is one of my pet peeves as well. It's acceptable when the vendors do it, but there's no excuse for a host to butcher the English language. Speaking is their profession.

FYI: "Mispronunciations and bad grammar are..." compound subject; takes plural verbs.

Just sayin'

Honored Contributor
On 3/1/2015 Zita said:
On 2/28/2015 handygal said: Mis-pronunciations and bad grammar is one of my pet peeves as well. It's acceptable when the vendors do it, but there's no excuse for a host to butcher the English language. Speaking is their profession.

FYI: "Mispronunciations and bad grammar are..." compound subject; takes plural verbs.

Just sayin'

I meant it as all one category, as in 'mispronunciations-and-bad-grammar', but l see your point! Thanks.
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~