Contributor

I don't see that your comment has baring on my observation. I was on the international stage for years. For me, if I am going to talk for a living over national tv, I would check what is correct in often used phrases. I value correct grammar and pronunciation as I do good hygenie. 

Trusted Contributor

OK, I will just add my chalkboard phrase - the misuse of "a ton," as in, "We will have a ton of fun." No, you won't - a ton is a unit of weight. You may have lots of fun, but it won't be a ton. (Unless there will be 2,000 pounds of cake!)

Contributor

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/both 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/either

You have to be careful with dictionaires of Great Britian. As I'm sure you know, a lot of words and grammar are difference in Great Britain from American English. That's why you'll see English lessons or books distinguished by American English or British English. 

Contributor

A person can be interested in other things other than the world's drama. I follow all current events and care about that too. Since my vehicle of expression is the written and spoken English lanauge, yes, poor English is offensive. Not only to me. Smiley Wink 

Contributor

I typed a colon and curve and it came out as a woman sticking her tongue out. I did not do that. I tried to edit it and remove but did not see an edit button. Please know, it was supposed to be a wink. 

Contributor

That kind of error does not bother me. That is an exaggeration for fun. The speaker and listener understand it's not really a ton. Grammar mistakes are different. It is not knowing the language. 

Esteemed Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@Luvsmyfam - it isn't nit picking to teach a student proper grammar - especially if one is an English teacher.

We aren't in class @riley1 we are posting on a discussion board. Who cares?

Esteemed Contributor

@RealtyGal2 wrote:

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

you sound like a school teacher who nit picks and criticizes students

The hosts and the vendors speak for a living. For that reason, their grammar should be correct.

Why at @RealtyGal2 it gives posters like you something to do.

Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

These are your expectations. One can't expect others to meet their expectations.  

Q doesn't hire professional speakers so it's likely there will be grammar and pronunciation errors. Obviously, Q doesn't care.

Can you imagine what it's like to talk non-stop for 20 minutes about some of these products? I'd probably say something wrong too.

My dad has a PhD and taught English and Literature his whole life. He always told us that it's better to be nice than correct other people's grammar and wording because not everyone had a quality education or has the aptitude. He doesn't correct us now that we're adults.

There are some glaring errors and occasionally someone will say something that sends off flares in my head. But I'd rather be happy than worry about who is and isn't meeting MY expectations.  

@CalminHeartYour father is a very wise man.

Respected Contributor

Purdue University's Online Writing Lab, aka OWL holds the standards for writing. Any question you may have about grammar/writing can be searched at the Purdue dot edu OWL website. The site is used in middle schools, high schools, and universities.