Contributor

Both or Either?

[ Edited ]

I wish the QVC hosts and representatives of products' companies would learn the difference between "either" and "both". If you have 2 pockets, they are not on "either" side, but "BOTH SIDES". "Either side " would mean you have one OR the other. Nobody who says this wrong will read it or care, but it drives me crazy. I was just looking at the representative of the American Leather Co. Large Leather and Suede Hobo-Erie video and at 2'22". In this case, she does not work for Q directly but I've heard a lot of Q hosts say this wrong. 

Honored Contributor

It's the same thing with "less" or "fewer".    Not a big deal, unless you are grading a paper...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi lol. I agree. So much of what I learned in high school in the 1950's has already begun to leave the language.  

I still remember the very first rule I had to unlearn my very first year in college although I do not remember what I must have been writing that caused my professor to use his red pen.  

Honored Contributor

What I see so much here is confusing advice with advise. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Both or Either?

[ Edited ]

I don't know about all the vendors, but I believe all or most of the hosts are college graduates.  

I'm seeing a lot of using "of" instead of "have" in the general population. "Must of" or "should of" instead of "must have" or "should have."  

Is that something new?  My English teachers would have said "Where did you learn that?  Not in my class." 

My English isn't perfect, so maybe I shouldn't think I have the right to say something; however, some errors are so blatantly obvious and frequent, I wonder about our educational system.  

Honored Contributor

It may ring in our ears if we hear them speaking incorrectly, but in the large scheme of things that can, would, should be wrong....not an issue for me. 

Respected Contributor

you sound like a school teacher who nit picks and criticizes students

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Both or Either?

[ Edited ]

@Luvsmyfam - it isn't nit picking to teach a student proper grammar - especially if one is an English teacher.

Esteemed Contributor

My life is so peaceful. Not watching QVC can do that. After all I've read on the Forums I'm so happy I no longer watch. I enjoy reading the Posts.

Do a lot of shopping here. So happy for the internet.

QVC Customer Care