Trusted Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

you sound like a school teacher who nit picks and criticizes students

The hosts and the vendors speak for a living. For that reason, their grammar should be correct.

Honored Contributor

Re: Both or Either?

[ Edited ]

For whom it may concern:  the correct spelling is  uppity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Foxxee 

I think that we are hearing the contractions should've or must've as "should of" or "must of".  

--------------------------------------------

@Foxxee wrote:

I don't know about all the vendors, but I believe all or most of the hosts are college graduates.  

I'm seeing a lot of using "of" instead of "have" in the general population. "Must of" or "should of" instead of "must have" or "should have."  

Is that something new?  My English teachers would have said "Where did you learn that?  Not in my class." 

My English isn't perfect, so maybe I shouldn't think I have the right to say something; however, some errors are so blatantly obvious and frequent, I wonder about our educational system.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee 

I think that we are hearing the contractions should've or must've as "should of" or "must of".  

@ALRATIBA 

No, I'm seeing it written "must of" and "should of" on social media.  Twitter, Facebook, and Quora where intellectuals hang out...and elsewhere.   I have seen it used here occasionally.  

--------------------------------------------

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

you sound like a school teacher who nit picks and criticizes students

@Luvsmyfam To me it sounds like a teacher who is doing her job so students can group up educated enough to get a job.  And then if they are criticized at work they will realize it isn't the end of the world either.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

These are your expectations. One can't expect others to meet their expectations.  

Q doesn't hire professional speakers so it's likely there will be grammar and pronunciation errors. Obviously, Q doesn't care.

Can you imagine what it's like to talk non-stop for 20 minutes about some of these products? I'd probably say something wrong too.

My dad has a PhD and taught English and Literature his whole life. He always told us that it's better to be nice than correct other people's grammar and wording because not everyone had a quality education or has the aptitude. He doesn't correct us now that we're adults.

There are some glaring errors and occasionally someone will say something that sends off flares in my head. But I'd rather be happy than worry about who is and isn't meeting MY expectations.  

Respected Contributor

"!" and "me".... on and on.... Many of the hosts could use a grammar lesson!!! (Amy in particular!)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Quote from AreYouSure: "I wish the QVC hosts and representatives of products' companies would learn the difference between "either" and "both". If you have 2 pockets, they are not on "either" side, but "BOTH SIDES". "Either side " would mean you have one OR the other. Nobody who says this wrong will read it or care, but it drives me crazy. I was just looking at the representative of the American Leather Co. Large Leather and Suede Hobo-Erie video and at 2'22". In this case, she does not work for Q directly but I've heard a lot of Q hosts say this wrong. "

@AreYouSure  I think you are wrong about this. According to the Cambridge English Dictionary:

"Either meaning ‘both’

Either as a determiner before a singular countable noun can mean ‘both’:

There were shops on either side of the street."

Cambridge English Dictionary. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjE2PDWvovzAhXPRDABHdCcAGMQ...

Trusted Contributor

My high school 'English' teacher would correct our grammar and spelling by saying:  'Who learned you how to spoke?"     Funny, I will sometimes use that phrase myself.

Honored Contributor

"Over" used when "more than" is correct. Also "less" and "fewer than". . . 

Honored Contributor

Seriously??

With all that is going on in this country and the world, THAT is what drives you crazy?

You are very blessed then to have only that insignificant issue bugging you.

QVC has become a much less formal atmosphere.  In dress, language and performance.  That's the way it is, so we can either tune in or OUT.