Respected Contributor
Since it is black history month,I have been watching several movies,including roots saga,a patch of blue,and queen.all excellent
Honored Contributor

Re: Black history month

[ Edited ]

Late DH and I watched ROOTS back in 1977 when it was first on. DS was only about 8 but we let him watch and discussed as it went along. We felt it was extremely important for him to see it.

I think I had read the book before the TV series. It's long and well worth it.

Respected Contributor
Also,another good mini series is roots the next generation
Esteemed Contributor

Other good films that are based on factual accounts of Black History are:

Armistead

12 Years A Slave

Autobiography of Jane Pittman

The Free State of Jones

Tuskeegee Airmen

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

for sure.i remember seeing 12 yrs a slave jane pittman movie.i have the movie queen coming starring haley berry.excellent movie

Esteemed Contributor

Smiley HappyI forgot to mention a couple of others.  I would have edited my first post and added these but it wouldn't let me:

Hidden Figures (the female mathematicians who helped launch the USA into space)

Harriet (most folk know who she was).  New iteration of her life starring Cynthia Erivo

Gifted Hands (movie about Dr. Ben Carson)

Lady Sings the Blues (starring Diana Ross about Billie Holliday)

Respected Contributor

Gertrudecloset's lists are superb (although I haven't yet seen the one featuring Dr. Ben Carson).

"Hidden Figures" is WONDROUS.

Respected Contributor

I sat down in front of the TV one night exhausted from being on my feet all day and it was on.  I began to get interested.  I wound up crying my head off.  I mean, I was saturated from my eyes down my neck.  I kept watching but I cried for quite a while.  After that I felt ill.  I felt sick in the heart AND physically.

What an awful world we live in.  I'm mostly a recluse.

Honored Contributor

@77yangya wrote:

I sat down in front of the TV one night exhausted from being on my feet all day and it was on.  I began to get interested.  I wound up crying my head off.  I mean, I was saturated from my eyes down my neck.  I kept watching but I cried for quite a while.  After that I felt ill.  I felt sick in the heart AND physically.

Which movie are you referring to @77yangya ?

I couldn't wait to see "........Miss Jane Pittmam....." but when I got as far as the wedding scene on the porch I couldn't watch any more. The scene was very well done, and it got too close to my thoughts about life and loss.

Conversely, I think I could watch "Hidden Figures" another 5 times and enjoy every minute of it. Heroes?? Darn right. 

Another movie I LOVED was "The Green Book". As a music major in my very small college in the '60s, there was no way that ANYBODY could be discriminated against much less denied the right to be there, so we learned REAL FAST that if you could "cut the chart" YOU HAD A PLACE IN THAT SCHOOL. Good lesson learned.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Black history month

[ Edited ]

@violann wrote:

@77yangya wrote:

Which movie are you referring to @77yangya ?

I couldn't wait to see "........Miss Jane Pittmam....." but when I got as far as the wedding scene on the porch I couldn't watch any more. The scene was very well done, and it got too close to my thoughts about life and loss.

Conversely, I think I could watch "Hidden Figures" another 5 times and enjoy every minute of it. Heroes?? Darn right. 

Another movie I LOVED was "The Green Book". As a music major in my very small college in the '60s, there was no way that ANYBODY could be discriminated against much less denied the right to be there, so we learned REAL FAST that if you could "cut the chart" YOU HAD A PLACE IN THAT SCHOOL. Good lesson learned.

Ciceyly Tyson (R.I.P). was a phoenominal actress in Ms. Jane Pittman.

Hidden Figures was an all star cast. I've seen every film I mentioned here.  All pretty good.

I was able to watch the "Green Book" because of a free premium weekend trial for HBO or something.  Mehersela Ali played the heck out of the role.  I enjoyed it thoroughly as well.  

If it were not for the Driver in the "Green Book" the artist would have been a lot of trouble along the way.  I also enjoyed the way they meshed the two characters together to become more than employer/employee and they really did "like" one another as humans!