Honored Contributor

Re: Bad jewelry presentations

@Kachina624  I order a lot of my supples from Rio. Small world. We've traveled to Sante Fe many times and walked along the square where the artisans are selling their beautiful silver. I spoke to several of them & they seem to have learned their craft from within their families...passed down from generations. On close inspection, their findings (pin backs, lobster claw clasps, posts on earrings) are all purchased items. That makes the work go faster & they can sell at lower prices. I fabricate all my own findings and each of my pieces are one of a kind. I also majored in art and then went back to Duke University in Durham NC about 25 yrs. ago to study metalsmithing, stone setting and enameling. My studio is upstairs over the garage (the house plans called it "play room") w/ private stairs up from kitchen for when I have shows.. I added 1/2 bath, & in studio itself installed lg. laundry room type sink. The room has my art/painting/craft supplies at one end and the other end has soldering table w/ gas tanks, work bench, wall of jewelry tools, stacking drawers of silver sheet metal, silver wire & another wall has small stacking drawers (clear bins from Target) each drawer has different stones/beads. You can always make room to do what you love. In my last house, we used our dining room twice a year, so I set up there w/ padded covers to protect the table. My bins/drawers/soldering station lined the walls and those 2 times I needed the room for holiday meals, I just threw a drop cloth over my supplies & set the table as usual. Every one knew I'm an artist and besides the dining room is always the least used room in the house. When we built this house, the kitchen, family room & dining are all one area and the separate designated "dining room", my husband uses as his study.  Get crackin'!!!  It's so rewarding even if you don't sell & make beaded bracelets for yourself & gifts. When I began, I didn't sell for 5 yrs. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  Those people who sell on the plaza in Santa Fe are genuine,  bona fide,  certified Native Americans,  and they're right,  the skills are passed down.   There are also Indian schools where traditional crafts are taught.   They must be Indians to be able to sell there. 

Your set-up sounds ideal.   I have an oversized garage with a big work bench but my time has passed for that sort of thing.   I'll just buy stuff from others.   We have the NM Arts &  Crafts Fair (all NM artists) every June and I try to attend, although it's usually horribly hot.  We had a "family" silversmith from whom we bought a lot but he died a couple years ago. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

My pet peeve is when a pendant is being sold on a chain state the length of the chain up front and show how it fastens. Even more important, please state whether or not the pendant can be removed and put on another chain. Most pendants offered like this are usually on vary short chains which I cannot wear so need to know up front if pendant can be placed on another chain.
Respected Contributor

I see some great other ideas for showing jewelry!  Ones I hadn't even thought of.

They should spend their air time doing these rather than show us how to STACK things or take phone calls.

I would also like to know if a pendant can be removed from a chain if you would like to.

Hyacinth

Trusted Contributor

Oh, for the days of Kathy Levine! She knew how to present jewelry. By the the time her presentation was finished we'd feel as though the piece was on our finger,wrist,ears- wherever. 

Too bad she doesn't train these people how to present and sell! 

Respected Contributor

@nrm

ITA with what you said. I use to look forward to the Sunday night Diamonique shows. It was not just great jewelry but good entertainment. The days of great jewelry shows appear to be gone forever. The quality of much of the designer jewelry has also gone down hill. Glad I have my memories and some great quality jewelry to go along with my memories.