Honored Contributor

Re: BFD....why so expensive?

@Bhvbum wrote:

I always go to eBay, I may not get stuff just as it comes out but sooner or later it ends up there.  All brand new stuff with the tags still on.

I always find it amazing what people buy and then for whatever reason they don’t return it. Or maybe somebody else bought it for them, and they just don’t like it.

I have a barefoot dreams bathrobe with a hood I got on eBay last year after Christmas, it is just the most wonderful thing, long and warm and cozy,  I love it!

@Bhvbum   Thanks for the Ebay reminder!

I've gotten some great buys there...I just make sure that the item I'm purchasing is returnable.

As for how a lot of the goods got there, the Q sells pallets of seconds to resellers who will go on Ebay to sell Q brands.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

It has to do with the fabrication. Both the CozyChic and CozyChic Lite are very fine eyelash yarns that are knitted. The Lite version and Ultra Lite are even finer, well smaller than sock gauge. They had to create a special knitting machine just for the fine gauge of the yarn. Other machines would get destroyed trying to knit it. Add the cost of creating your own machines, teaching the workers how to use them, the quality of the bamboo rayon and it gets costly. 

The bamboo rayon has a cool feel to it, that feels light when wearing it but, has heft when holding it in your arm. It puddles like satin, and feels like velvet when you rub it. There really isn't any other fabric like it on the market. 

Always go for the sales if you want to try it. 

Honored Contributor

I've also wondered why this brand is so expensive.  It's not like the material is something new.  Years ago I've purchased socks with the same type of very soft fabric in local stores as stocking stuffers and they were inexpensive.  BF comes along and charges a lot!...people are willing to pay.  I won't buy, however I do like most Vionics because of the arch support.

Honored Contributor

@wakefield64ok -   no comparison at all.   There are lots of long sweaters, but not much similar to BD..

I've tried on Barefoot Dreams in Nordies.-  gorgeous luxurious fabric. .

My problem was not its price -  it was the tropical temperatures in my area of Florida.  I already have wonderful sweaters from the years and months I've lived in the Northeast, but I rarely use them while I'm south.  Just can't bring myself to wrap up in all that money just to watch TV 

If I ever decide to stay north for winter -  I'd buy and wear them out of the house.

Esteemed Contributor

So . . . is "BFD" a reference to "Barefoot Dreams"? I've never heard anyone use that acronym around here, and since "Barefoot" is one word in the product name, it seems odd. (And that acronym is already in use for a not-so-nice phrase, so it's confusing.)

Respected Contributor

@wakefield64  I too do not care flip about what Oprah likes.   I owned a wool coat years ago that was of a duster length and in the winter the tail of it would look like a chimney.  I constantly had that coat at a cleaner because water and snow would kick up off of my shoes, no duster length for me...lesson learned.

Respected Contributor

I just got back from TJ Maxx and saw a sweater much like THE kind of larger knit teddy bear softness. It was $16.99. Maybe there is a big difference beside the label but what they have in common is country of origin.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@wakefield64 oprah. she is why they are initially so procey. they are scrummy soft. that's about it.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree that Vionics are really expensive, but about two years ago I bought a pair of Tide thongs as a TSV and I have to say, those shoes saved me.  I had heel fat pad syndrome and those were the ONLY shoes I could wear for months.  I tried Skechers, and even Vionic sneakers, New Balance shoes, etc.  Couldn't wear my Birkis.  Just those navy thongs.

@Spacrazy wrote:

Funny you should ask.  I’ve been asking that same question ever since it came on the scene at QVC.  I’ve also asked about the exorbitant prices of Vionics. I have tried both brands and can truthfully say they are horrifically overpriced.

Luckily my heel stopped hurting and I could go back to wearing other shoes.  Now, I think I wore those thongs so much, they are broken down and now hurt my feet and legs.

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG wrote:

They even showed it as a bathrobe. I hope none of us are that stupid. If I pay nearly $100 for something, I'd want it to be nice enough to wear outside of the house. The thing is just too long.

@AuntG.  How about $145. for pajamas?

It's a California  "thing".

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment