Honored Contributor

@Travel61 wrote:

You know what's sad? The fact that so many US  companies didn't want to pay American wages so hence they manufacture products overseas and labor for 10 foreign workers is equal to 1 American workers wage they did pay here. Instead of giving the consumer a better price they take the profit.  Its all about the almighty dollar.  Us consumers can do a lot but we don't want to, it's too hard on us. Sad.

@Travel61 

I understand your point, but it's really not that simple.  You have to keep in mind that when products are manufactured here, and American wages are paid, the prices of the products will be sky high, compared to imported goods.   

Look in your wallet and decide if you are willing to pay eight times more for American made goods.  While you think this is a "sad" situation, most people still want a bargain whenever they can get it.  It's not just the US companies that are the problem here. 

And, to be fair, a lot of people couldn't afford to exclusively buy American made goods.

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

Better yet. stop BUYING goods made in China.  If we don't buy them, they'll eventually stop selling them.

@Cats3000 

No, they won't.   If you don't want that item, someone else will buy it.   

------------------  

I notice that the OP hasn' been back .... did she just post and run?     Yoo hoo @STYLE  ..... where did you go?  

Frequent Contributor
I dont buy temptations as its made in China and its poor quality.
Clothes are the same with me.
Americans are spoiled and are now paying the price
Esteemed Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@Cats3000 - where do you think cell phones/computers are made? Or the parts to many household items or car parts.

If we stopped buying goods from China, our households would be empty.

China manufacturing goods is definitely not something new. I was putting away some of my winter mugs yesterday and noticed they were made in China. Now, I'm going to tell you they are more than 20 years old - so not something new.

South Korea makes most of our cell phones.  Not sure about the chips.  As for Apple products they get their stuff from Samsung, which is a South Korean company.  China does indeed have cell phones and stuff in the U.S. market, but no major carrier supports them.  @riley1 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 I'm not going to argue all the "yes but's" but I am saying that we could certainly do something productive to bring mfg. back to this country in a significant way, but people don't have the desire or the stomach to do anything about it.

Press your elected officials and don't buy junk you don't need from China, and pay more for quality from USA and from other non-China countries.  Will we do it?  Not a snowball's chance.  Could we do it?  Absolutely. 

Press your who?  Those people?  I know you're not serious @Sooner .  Besides, going there will get this thread deleted.  What good are they going to do us?  

Esteemed Contributor

@Travel61 wrote:

You know what's sad? The fact that so many US  companies didn't want to pay American wages so hence they manufacture products overseas and labor for 10 foreign workers is equal to 1 American workers wage they did pay here. Instead of giving the consumer a better price they take the profit.  Its all about the almighty dollar.  Us consumers can do a lot but we don't want to, it's too hard on us. Sad.

THIS RIGHT HERE!!!!!!

Frequent Contributor

Blame the oil companies.  There are 9000 approved drilling sites that they are not using.  They speculate there will be a shortage and raise prices.  It is NOT the POTUS who controls the costs.  Corporations are unregulated and will sc**w us as much as possible.

Think about this....A gallon of Starbucks costs $ 30.  

People order it on 1200 dollar phones and drive to pick it up in 70,000 dollar trucks.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cherylou wrote:

Blame the oil companies.  There are 9000 approved drilling sites that they are not using.  They speculate there will be a shortage and raise prices.  It is NOT the POTUS who controls the costs.  Corporations are unregulated and will sc**w us as much as possible.

Think about this....A gallon of Starbucks costs $ 30.  

People order it on 1200 dollar phones and drive to pick it up in 70,000 dollar trucks.

Tell it like it is @Cherylou .

Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

You don't give any reasons. But you are free to make your voice heard.  

I don't make my purchases based on political decisions. If I did china wouldn't be the only country I wouldn't buy from.  

I too will not knowingly purchasing from China.  And it is not a "political decision".  It is a humanitarian decision.  Nor will I purchase if the item is posted as "Imported".   I assume that means China.   If it wasn't made in China, they would post the name of the country. 

Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@riley1 wrote:

@Cats3000 - where do you think cell phones/computers are made? Or the parts to many household items or car parts.

If we stopped buying goods from China, our households would be empty.

China manufacturing goods is definitely not something new. I was putting away some of my winter mugs yesterday and noticed they were made in China. Now, I'm going to tell you they are more than 20 years old - so not something new.

South Korea makes most of our cell phones.  Not sure about the chips.  As for Apple products they get their stuff from Samsung, which is a South Korean company.  China does indeed have cell phones and stuff in the U.S. market, but no major carrier supports them.  @riley1 

While Apple does get parts from Samsung, iPhones are mostly assembled in China