Honored Contributor

@Cherylou wrote:

Blame the oil companies.  There are 9000 approved drilling sites that they are not using.  They speculate there will be a shortage and raise prices.  It is NOT the POTUS who controls the costs.  Corporations are unregulated and will sc**w us as much as possible.

Think about this....A gallon of Starbucks costs $ 30.  

People order it on 1200 dollar phones and drive to pick it up in 70,000 dollar trucks.

@Cherylou Part of the issue is that restrictions and taxes and closing of lands for drilling make companies go out of business.  There are lots and lots of small companies in the U.S. in addition to the majors.  They go out of business when things tighten up.

When drilling rigs get shut down they are sold for scrap of dismantled and that's hugely expensive.  You don't just shut the valves on and off.  

Politics also comes along and plays havoc with supplies and where the country does and doesn't buy oil.  Then there is the issue of where it is refined and how few places there are and how old some of the refineries are.

It's a complex, hugely expensive industry, dealing with a lot of imposed financial issues, restrictions and such.  And it's made up of a lot of small companies, individuals, and roughnecks who do some hard dangerous jobs.   Can you even imagine what it takes to set up and run a big drilling rig?  Especially one offshore?   

Super Contributor

Workers would be easily found IF THEY WERE PAID A DECENT WAGE! 

Honored Contributor

Re: BEGGING QVC!

[ Edited ]

Yes, change is slow but I agree about all those who say it is not an argument to say well goodluck you wouldn't have your computer etc etc if not made in China.

It doesn't mean I won't be proactive about not buying from China in every possible chance. There are so many clothing lines that are not from China. 

And QVC can choose to purchase from "designers" who do not have their clothing or products made in China.

It really is all about greed and how much money they can make. I feel for the workers in China too who probably do make very poor wages.

As much as possible I am going to try to avoid buying from there, not just political but because there has been too many times, their products have caused people, pets, children, illness and even death.

Who would support that?!

And sometimes you do need to yell with capital letters!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@STYLE wrote:

STOP SELLING GOODS MADE IN CHINA!!!   THE RESISTANCE TO THEIR GOODS HAS GOT TO START SOMEWHERE.   I FOR ONE WILL START CHECKING COUNTRY OF ORIGIN.  IF IT'S CHINA I'LL PASS  C,HINA IS NOT OUR FRIEND

nothing will change until congress taxes the hec* out of companies that outsource to China.

Remember, if we don't buy from other countries, they won't buy from us. We have already seen the impact of the so-called tariff war of the last 4 years....China stopped buying corn, beans, beef, and other products from us.

Honored Contributor

@CABRIT wrote:

Workers would be easily found IF THEY WERE PAID A DECENT WAGE! 

@CABRIT 

C'mon ... that's only one part of it .....   and you know it.

If a Chinese-made sweater that you would pay $40 for was made in the U.S. by Americans making a "decent wage", that same sweater would cost you at least $250. 

Do you honestly think most Americans would pay that?   I don't.

What happens next is the business fails, those American factory workers are out of jobs, and manufacturing goes back to China or somewhere that could produce a reasonably-priced product that most people would actually buy.   

Most people vote their wallet .... and make purchases based on their finances, not just if the product is nice.

Americans, in general, want a good price, if not a bargain.   That's why so much clothing is imported these days.  I don't see how that could change.

Respected Contributor

@STYLE tell you what,I would and will pay more money for American, union made items plain and simple!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Many of these posts make it clear that people are not informed/educated about economics, international trade and its impact on the U.S, and the global economy. It's time for common sense and middle school economics and government classes again.

Honored Contributor

@lovepink wrote:

Actually we can get MANY of our drugs from Israel!  They are from Teva.  I refuse any drugs from China and India.  Too many problems with them.  

@lovepink I agree, but many drugs are not made in those thoses. My BP medication is only made in India, so I asked my doc to change me to another one. 

Honored Contributor

@STYLE wrote:

STOP SELLING GOODS MADE IN CHINA!!!   THE RESISTANCE TO THEIR GOODS HAS GOT TO START SOMEWHERE.   I FOR ONE WILL START CHECKING COUNTRY OF ORIGIN.  IF IT'S CHINA I'LL PASS  C,HINA IS NOT OUR FRIEND

@STYLE 

So .... what happened to the OP here?

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@STYLE wrote:

@STYLE 

So .... what happened to the OP here?

Most likely moved to China.   LOL