Frequent Contributor

Average height Size 2x and 3x models

Dear QVC,   Please have models who represent ALL sizes of your fashion.....TRUE plus sizes are very rarely represented, and if they are, maybe you see a 1x on a 5'10 model.  Can we see an average height, plus size model in a 2-3x?  You may not think they look as good in the clothes, but that is what a lot of your viewers actually look like & would appreciate seeing.  Thank you.

Respected Contributor

Re: Average height Size 2x and 3x models

[ Edited ]

I totally agree.  I'm only 5'3" and I never see a model who's not taller than average.  This can be a problem with shirts.  The average woman is something like 5'4" and ? size 14, so they don't represent their customers very often.  I will not buy outerwear or pants unless they're petite because I'm not going to spend money tailoring them.  Also, even if I take the sleeves up often the area around the shoulders is too baggy and the seam where the arm meets the shoulder is not in the right place.  The coat would have to literally be taken apart and put back together to get a petite fit.  I'm not sure whether they can even tailor the shoulder area of the garment in that way.  Then you still have the bodice area that's the wrong size, so it's really a lost cause.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

They are never going to have 2X or 3X models because the purpose of showing clothes is to sell them, and a person of that size doesn't show the clothing off to its best advantage.  A tall person also looks best in the clothing which is why most models are tall.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

It may or may not help for height alone, but I have learned that looking at someone else, who may be close to your size, and thinking their weight and clothing size must be a certain thing is invariably wrong. Body shape (long or short-waisted for example) figures in too.

I have seen it where someone weighed a lot more than I do proportionate to their body size, yet they wear a smaller size than I do. They are just built differently and carry weight in different areas and ways. 

I know what size I generally wear in most stores; IMO that's as close as anyone will get. In b&m stores, many people can't just buy off the rack - two things by two different designers may fit, and a third designer's same size won't fit. I can't think it's any different with QVC clothes - you won't know until you try it on - which is why I almost never buy clothes I can't try on.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

The Q is selling an image.  If one is a 2X or 3X and they see the item on a taller, thinner person, they will be sadly disappointed when it doesn't look that way on them.  If you sell those sizes, then you should have them represented.  You are doing a disservice to your customers by not doing so.  Just my opinion.   docsgirl

Trusted Contributor

Hence the huge amount of returns!

Honored Contributor

@avid shopper wrote:

Hence the huge amount of returns!

Apparently not.  They always sell out of the larger sizes first and rarely have them available in clearance shows.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

That might be just because they don't stock as many in the plus sizes when first offered, so the returns get snapped up by the customers who have the item on their waitlists. I've always got plus size items sitting on the waitlist, in the hope that they someday come back in stock.

I would love to see a large size model in a pear shape, rather than an apple, as they all seem to be. Right now, the only way to see how something looks on someone with wider (read: middle-age normal) hips is if Jane, Shawn, Carolyn, Antonella, or Leah is wearing the item. Forget about the models.

They should ALWAYS show a plus and a petite model along with an "average" model for all items. Lately, I've been referring to the garment specifications to get a better idea how an item will fit in the waist and hip area, because looking at the clothing on a 5'10 model wearing an XXS is useless to me. I'm 5'9" and I've never been near XXS in my life.

Honored Contributor

I'm 5ft3 and a size small, but I'm busty so I like that they have the petite model Meredith because my body type is similar to hers. I never have to return an item that I have seen on Meredith and bought. Kulani is an adorable petite model, but she's really tiny and most

fashions overwhelm her. I can see where the Q would get alot of fashion returns simply because they don't show the fashions on women of different heights and body types. I agree that the Q will never go that route though, the designers would not allow it. If you notice yesterday for the TSV and all those IM shows, the petite model was rarely referred to even though she looked darling in most of the fashions. They mostly focused on Jacque and that model Caressa who does look terrific in everything.

Respected Contributor

As others have noted, this will never happen. The clothes, quite frankly, look better on taller models. QVC wants to give us a bit of hope.