Honored Contributor

Auto Delivery - I learned the hard way :(

I have been planning ahead for a long trip I will be taking, going into my auto-deliveries to "postpone" some of my orders until I return.

I always wondered how it worked if you purchased something on auto delivery that would give you four shipments in one year, for example. If you postpone one or more of those shipments, is the "one year" extended? Well, the answer is no.

One of the items I postponed was to come every three months for two years. I had six shipments left before I postponed one that would have arrived while I was out of the country. When I changed the delivery date for that one, it left me with five shipments instead of the six I had coming, pushing the others back instead of having two received close together in time.

I guess that's because by postponing just once for several weeks, that put it outside the two-year time limit I was to continue to receive it. So I assume that it is eight total shipments....... or shipments for two years....whichever one comes first. I tried to have it shipped earlier than scheduled, but it didn't allow that. Smiley Sad

I guess the best thing to do is to continue to have things shipped on schedule and hope you have a family member or friend who is conscientious enough to check for packages outside your home. I don't like to impose on others for that, but am glad I now know how this works.

Respected Contributor

Re: Auto Delivery - I learned the hard way :(

@World Traveler

Rather than have folks keep checking for packages, can you change the mailing address to theirs so you get the full allotment and the security of knowing nothing is sitting outside your door?

Maybe if you spoke to a CS rep they could resolve the issue without your losing out.

Good Luck and safe journeys.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Regular Contributor

Or you could make a trip in to your local post office and fill out a "hold" card and they will keep all your mail/packages at the post office while you are gone and then deliver in one big lump on the date you select upon your return.

Doesn't, of course, work for things delivered by UPS or Fed Ex.

Just a thought............

Honored Contributor

I did know this, also by losing a shipment when changing the dates on an AD a long time ago.

However, it was a fab deal and I didn't want to lose that delivery.  I couldn't fix it online myself but I immediately called C/S and had them reinstate it back the way it was...and changed the Ship To on that delivery to my mom's.

If it hasn't been too long since you changed it yourself, C/S may be able to put it back for you and change to Ship To if you wanted to call them.

Just don't forget to change the Ship To back after that delivery!

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife @forest4thetrees @jlkz

Thanks for your replies. The product normally comes by UPS. However, I am going to call customer service and check out the various options you suggested and see what I can do. I don't want to lose out on the wonderful price I was locked into for this item. 

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife @forest4thetrees @jlkz
Just talked with customer service and they were really nice about it. They offered to send me a one-time shipment now, at the same great price I'm already getting. That way I still get the number of shipments agreed upon. YAY!!!!
Honored Contributor

@WorldTraveler wrote:
@RespectLife @forest4thetrees @jlkz
Just talked with customer service and they were really nice about it. They offered to send me a one-time shipment now, at the same great price I'm already getting. That way I still get the number of shipments agreed upon. YAY!!!!

Wow @World Traveler

That was a really nice resolution for you!  Glad to hear it!

Have a wonderful trip too!!

Trusted Contributor

When I am going to be away I not only have the USPS hold my mail I call UPS and ask them to hold any packages that may arrive.  They are always happy to hold for me and deliver all on my return.  I have never had any problems.  All I have to do is ask.  I have also changed the ship date by 2-3 weeks to cut down on the hold time.   This does not seem to change my next auto delivery and I get all the deliveries agreed to.