Respected Contributor

Re: Article in Woman's Day about salespeople & impulsive buying techniques

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Agree!  They no longer use the ticking clock, but they certainly still try -- "only 1100 out of original 8000 left"

"the grey is the next to go"

"last day on easy pay"

"special pricing today only"

Oh yes they still use the "countdown" clock when an item is on air. Not all items, but I saw it the other day when watching. I noticed because I was wondering what the next item would be, but also ready to turn the channel as they were on the current item a while. Then I noticed the clock had less than a minute on it so I decided to wait to see the next item.

Honored Contributor

@gardensla wrote:

F.O.M.O. (fear of missing out) is a benchmark of QVC's selling style. This past Monday on PM Style Shawn was gushing over a 98.00 drape front cardigan made from bathrobe material. I mean she was on a tear about the thing.

In my experience, most women wouldn't walk into Nordstrom (where it's also sold at the exact same price but also with FREE SHIPPING both ways) and plunk down a credit card for a piece like this. They just wouldn't.

But the constant drumbeat of only XXX left and F.O. M.O. cause a stampede. The thing sold out in minutes.

I wonder how many buyers woke up the next morning and wondered what sort of enchantment had come over them! Bet many cancelled. 

When I was new to the Once Mighty, the whole 'fear factor' worked quite well some of the time. Now, it doesn't work at all...  First, I'd have to be watching... Then I'd have to be at least marginally or remotely interested in what they're selling. The vast majority of the time, neither criteria applies anymore...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

"Fear of Missing Out" is a basic human instinct and applies to a lot of functions out there, not just shopping, although it is the most recognized.  Human beings are programmed to want to be part of the crowd, or in group.  And they are sub-consciously "led" by those willing to use the tactic and are basically unaware that this is happening.  Those that just don't care about missing out, are aware of the tactics or have enough life experience to recognize they are being led in this way and get angry about it will be the ones that don't get involved in it.....

However, it's pretty obvious anymore with the hard sell that seems to prevail...  not much is subconcious anymore.  And subliminal messaging is illegal....   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*