Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@colleena wrote:

@ellaphant  I disagree, Kachina624 gives good advice on these boards, is always willing to answer questions asked & isn't insulting at all, in fact she cuts through the ****** & tells it the way it is - in my opinion, it is much appreciated.

I've never seen @Kachina624 be insulting to anyone either.  

She's routinely condescending and rude. Good advice???? Omg!

Super Contributor

@bombaycat   Wow..look at what you started with an innocent comment about the high price crab dip and pretzels (which I agree with you 100%)  Usually I see UNKIND comments on how the hosts look which of course is very judgmental and uncalled for but I admit while eating my English muffin that this made my day,  Even QVC removed an unkind remark in this string.   And to other commentators out there, I purchased my English muffin from the corner store in my neighborhood!  QVC does have outrageous prices and I must admit I have purchased food from them before. And I do buy the Christmas cakes from QVC because they taste good and look pretty!  And I am not even  middle class!

Honored Contributor

Re: Are you kidding me?

[ Edited ]

When my kids were little, there was a business here that had you check off cuts of meat, veggies, anything....they delivered it and even put it in the freezer and you could choose monthly, every 3 months and change your selections at any time. It was reasonably priced and convenient  since it was difficult for me to drag 2 toddlers a year apart to the grocery store.

Q prices for food are crazy, IMHO. We have a Wegman's with counters of prepared foods...meats, casseroles, cakes, etc. Yes, more money than cooking home, but you pay for convenience and lack of time to cook yourself. 

Esteemed Contributor

This OP simply stated an opinion. About dip! She did not insult anyone. If you were insulted, I’d suggest looking inward. That’s where the answer lies.

I don’t understand how anybody would allow a poster on an anonymous board insult them. If you order food from QVC ok, if you don’t ok. If you are rich ok, if you aren’t ok. We will never know the truth anyway!

Honored Contributor

@bombaycat wrote:
Not bitter or judgemental. Who are you? The forum police?

@bombaycat 

Warning:  Others who might read this.  It is a long post.  Move along if you do not like them.  

Yep, the forum police are out early today.  Just watch when someone says something about gourmet food prices being so high.  However, at what price do wealthy shoppers say those prices are too high?

Prices ARE high and I can afford them, but I didn't get to that point by being careless with money all my life.  

Prices, like crab are based on supply and demand.  I believe humans would indiscriminately deplete everything on earth if there weren't any controls.  Supply was huge when I was young, a lot fewer people in the U.S. at the time, when my mother made crab cakes and my father, his own recipe for shrimp all the time.  Why is it so difficult to find haddock and flounder? My mother made that all the time, too.  Where is it?  Lobster, shrimp, and crabs were plentiful at reasonable prices.  

Recently, supply of crabs has been lower than previous years, particularly those coming from overseas.  Also, laws preventing over harvesting .  Some crabs cost more than others. Maryland crabs might be one of them.

Then, consider, the vendors using their own recipes that are usually very good, paying employees to make the food, packing it so reaches your house safely, and shipping is usually free.  Let's not forget paying for convenience, pre-made food delivered to your door.  QVC gets a cut of the sale, too. 

A lot of companies buy gourmet food for their executive meetings and parties.   There definitely is a market out there.  I like many of the goodies offered for Christmas gifts.  So far, out of 16 different items, there was only one that disappointed.  It was stale, but the taste was excellent.  

I kind of stop at some of the exorbitant meat prices.  I can get premium cuts at a local butcher for much, much less.  I am a good cook (HA - a little bragging rearing it's ugly head), so I make all my meats.  Not all older folks are able to do all the cooking anymore for holidays, so QVC's food comes in handy for them.  They might be OK with splurging once or twice a year.  

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@ellaphant  We'll have to agree to disagree re Kachina624.  

Trusted Contributor

@Foxxee  Excellent comments.

For me I live in an area where we get Alaska crab legs which are excellent, tasty but pricey.  So, when I see different items on the Q that I mostly buy for special gifts or holiday meals I expect that the cost will be comparable to what we're paying locally as I expect the quality of the ingredients, recipe, taste & end product to be excellent.  

Honored Contributor

My Ex Sister in Law decided to buy a Food Truck and go to fairs and events with her new husband. They sold crab cakes. They seemed to enjoy it and were busy all through spring, summer and fall.

During Covid there were no fairs and events so they took a break. When things opened up again. They wanted to hit the road again. Problem was the price of crab had increased considerably. They figured out how much the crab cakes would now cost them to make. They figured people would take one look at the price and move on.

So they sold the food truck.

Esteemed Contributor

What I don't get is the crab dip/pretzel combo.  If I'm eating pretzels, I'm eating them with mustard.  And if I'm eating crab dip, I'm eating it with crackers or celery sticks or almost anything other than pretzels!

Honored Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@colleena wrote:

@ellaphant  I disagree, Kachina624 gives good advice on these boards, is always willing to answer questions asked & isn't insulting at all, in fact she cuts through the ****** & tells it the way it is - in my opinion, it is much appreciated.

I've never seen @Kachina624 be insulting to anyone either.  

She's routinely condescending and rude. Good advice???? Omg!

@ellaphant    Where is the one example I asked you to cite?  I haven't seen a response.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment