Honored Contributor

Re: Are hosts public speakers?

@silver fox wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

Like someone mentioned in another thread concerning the new hires.10,000 people were interviewed for these handful of host positions and this is what they came up with. All I can say is ,the interviewers must be looking for people like themselves maybe. As far as the older hosts, pixie voice was not fast talking and pixie voiced when she first started at the Q, she was lovely and professional, same with JC. I think once these hosts are established they find a character they can settle into that get people talking and they develope that character. They are just like soap opera stars, you either love them or hate them.

@hyacinth003and/or @blackhole99  Who in heavens name is "pixie voice" ??????   I seemed to have missed her. Is she on real  late at night ?   Could you enlighten please.

@Silver Fox1AS, I'm using initials so this thread does not get poofed.

Trusted Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@silver fox wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

Like someone mentioned in another thread concerning the new hires.10,000 people were interviewed for these handful of host positions and this is what they came up with. All I can say is ,the interviewers must be looking for people like themselves maybe. As far as the older hosts, pixie voice was not fast talking and pixie voiced when she first started at the Q, she was lovely and professional, same with JC. I think once these hosts are established they find a character they can settle into that get people talking and they develope that character. They are just like soap opera stars, you either love them or hate them.

@hyacinth003and/or @blackhole99  Who in heavens name is "pixie voice" ??????   I seemed to have missed her. Is she on real  late at night ?   Could you enlighten please.

Thanks @blackhole99 Got ya !!!!

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@silver fox wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

That is not who I meant!  A new host.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

@silver fox wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003well who are you talking about then? This is a prime example of people reading posts wrong and this time I am the offender.

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

@silver fox wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003well who are you talking about then? This is a prime example of people reading posts wrong and this time I am the offender.

I thought I would be polite and not name any names!  Less likely to get attacked and keep the thread on track.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wonder who does the hiring at QVC.....mosts of the hosts fall into 3 categories---they have these high pitched voices.....OR......the sound very nasal!!!!...OR.....they're screechers/super speed talkers!!   That's why when a host comes on with a pleasant voice (Carolyn/Leah/Pat) its such a pleasant and rare experience! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Carolyn Gracie and Lisa Robertson have the best speaking voice to my ears...Leah, and Pat and Jill and Mary Beth also have nice voices......Your voice shouldn't be monotone,void of expression, but sometimes when people get excited their voices get high pitched and shrieky...I know Lisa is no longer at QVC, but I think she had a most pleasant speaking voice........You can tell Carolyn Gracie used to be on the radio-great sounding voice.   

Honored Contributor

There is a school of thought in broadcasting that having a voice that people "notice", a voice that "stands out" is a Good Thing - even if that voice is annoying. It's like any publicity is good publicity - the theory is that people pay attention to "different." You see it used in infomercials ALL the time - so annoying it's cute, etc.

It doesn't work at all on me, I just hit the Mute button or move on. But QVC (and the hosts themselves, after hire) might well be going for "noticeable" and "distinctive" and don't care what they actually sound like as long as people react with "whoa, who's that?" or "That's so-and-so!"

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

Recently, I realized I had not watched Q in a long time, maybe 6 months or more.

In reading this thread, I also realized the main reason for not watching any longer was mostly the voices and fast talking.

More often than not, I found myself feeling annoyed or anxious while watching.  Even having it on as background bothered me.  Guess I've gotten old and crankyCat LOL

There are a precious few I can listen to for longer than a few minutes, so mostly, I just don't watch.

Of course, the up side of not watching is not spending.