Respected Contributor

Re: Are Most Hosts Part Time? Except The Morning Show Hosts

How would anyone know and why does anyone care? How do their schedules affect your life?

Do we worry about the sales staff at Macy's and if any of them are part time?  These people are sales people -- that is all. 

My thoughts on this is -- worry about yourself not everything about everyone else.

Honored Contributor

Geez louise. The OP asked a question.  Why does anyone care what someone else cares about?  

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Geez louise. The OP asked a question.  Why does anyone care what someone else cares about?  

@Lipstickdiva   I know. What else is there to post about? Posters ask innocent questions that are not mean to anyone and get slammed. Don’t like it, don’t read it. Just opt on out.

Honored Contributor

How would we know if a host is part-time or full-time?  ... Unless she disclosed her status on social media...

Esteemed Contributor

So many posters think that if they don't care about a topic, then no one should.

Wanna be moderators.

Esteemed Contributor

@hellodali wrote:

How would anyone know and why does anyone care? How do their schedules affect your life?

Do we worry about the sales staff at Macy's and if any of them are part time?  These people are sales people -- that is all. 

My thoughts on this is -- worry about yourself not everything about everyone else.

@hellodali 

These people are sales people--that is all.  

Some of them act like superstar celebrities.Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

I hope I can be a little helpful. By watching QVC for a quarter of a century one notices things and it only takes a few moments to give a kind response!

I believe some hosts are still part time.

When Jane Treacy returned to QVC in May 2005, she stated that she would only be working three days a week. That appears to still be the case. She is usually on air for three or four hour shifts.

A big change happened for Mary Beth Roe in fall 2007. She switched to part time (three days a week) and switched to weekday mornings and weekend afternoons,  and in 2008 relinquished Gold Rush and Wednesday Night Gold to Lisa R, Rick, and Jane (both programs were cancelled shortly after). It seems that she is still part time.

When Laurie Shore returned from maternity leave in January 2006, she became part time (three days a week) until she left as program host in January 2008.

Until recently David Venable has indeed been part time, usually only working a Wednesday night, Saturday morning, and Sunday afternoon shift each week, though often four hours. Now he has four shifts a week.

Usually full time program hosts appear on air about four times a week in two to three hour shifts. Pat James DeMentri and Dan Hughes indeed worked five days a week for two hour on-air shifts from 1994 until recently. Their schedules are quite different now, the venerable Morning Show bieng cancelled last year after 24 years on the air.

That's just a few examples, besides Lisa Robertson, for when she was QVC's biggest money maker she appeared on-air five times a week in a prime time slot.

How simple that was to give a courteous answer!

Respected Contributor

@banned again wrote:

I hope I can be a little helpful. By watching QVC for a quarter of a century one notices things and it only takes a few moments to give a kind response!

I believe some hosts are still part time.

When Jane Treacy returned to QVC in May 2005, she stated that she would only be working three days a week. That appears to still be the case. She is usually on air for three or four hour shifts.

A big change happened for Mary Beth Roe in fall 2007. She switched to part time (three days a week) and switched to weekday mornings and weekend afternoons,  and in 2008 relinquished Gold Rush and Wednesday Night Gold to Lisa R, Rick, and Jane (both programs were cancelled shortly after). It seems that she is still part time.

When Laurie Shore returned from maternity leave in January 2006, she became part time (three days a week) until she left as program host in January 2008.

Until recently David Venable has indeed been part time, usually only working a Wednesday night, Saturday morning, and Sunday afternoon shift each week, though often four hours. Now he has four shifts a week.

Usually full time program hosts appear on air about four times a week in two to three hour shifts. Pat James DeMentri and Dan Hughes indeed worked five days a week for two hour on-air shifts from 1994 until recently. Their schedules are quite different now, the venerable Morning Show bieng cancelled last year after 24 years on the air.

That's just a few examples, besides Lisa Robertson, for when she was QVC's biggest money maker she appeared on-air five times a week in a prime time slot.

How simple that was to give a courteous answer!

Wow!  So detailed and so very courteous! 

Of course, I have read over the years Mary Beth mentors many of the new hosts.  Have you factored in her mentoring hours to her actual hosting time?  That could put her at 40 hours for the week depending upon how many new hosts are on board and what each needs to get acquainted. 

Also, have you considered the time it takes to learn the products and know what is required to present them?  How about production meetings? 

And then there are the times where, let's say, Nick Chavez has said he has done Mary Beth's hair.  Would that extra hour be considered work time?  Do you think she would be "on the clock"?

Yes, Mary Beth could seem to be part time as a host, but actually be putting in far more hours than you realize. 

Honored Contributor

Here's what Sharon had to say about a host's life

https://www.qvc.com/content/insideq/a-day-in-the-life-host-sharon.html

Here's what David had to say

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/17/david-venable-food-informants_n_1959484.html

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Also, have you considered the time it takes to learn the products and know what is required to present them?  How about production meetings? 

No I haven't: my familiarity of hosts working at QVC is purely superficial. If you notice in my original post I used the phrase appeared on-air: that which is measurable. I imagine the hosts schedule their off-camera work just before or after their on-air shift but of course I wouldn't be able to track that. Their off-air work could consist of production meetings as you said, photo shoots, promo and voice-over recordings, answering their Facebook messages, meeting with guests at the studio tour, and much more, which is a considerable amount of work.

My understanding is that part-time hosts appear on-air three times a week, full-time four or five. If you saw a list at the end of the year of how many on-air shifts each host had for the year, it would be very obvious that the hosts (not counting maternity or medical leaves, new hosts and departures) that had the least amount of shifts were part-time, the bulk of the list would be full time hosts, and the very top of the list (Lisa Robertson is again an example) would be hosts that QVC has identified as a big moneymaker and place on air as many as five times a week.

It's a similar principle in television programs: the actors on the most episodes are on contract, the next set are recurring, finally the ones appearing the least are guest stars or under-five.

Part-time in QVC terms might be a term QVC uses for hosts that try to schedule their work duties into three days a week, possibly still accumulating over forty hours a week. This might be an attractive offer for some hosts: Jane Treacy after taking a year off with her family, Laurie with her newborn Jeannie, Lisa Mason on her return to QVC in 2015 after years taking care of Gino, David Venable who is often in the process of writing a cookbook.