Respected Contributor

Re: Are Brunettes Becoming Extinct at the Q??!!

I attribute it to women getting older and trying to hide grey hair. Just in general I see lots of women who were brunettes going blonde as they get older. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@kelshar wrote:

I know the reason Antonella is blonde is to hide her gray. Gray is less noticeable in blonde hair than dark hair.

I imagine this is just a story.  If she wanted to hide gray, the logical thing to do is use a dark dye, not blonde.  I won't say what I think her new "look" looks like but it's not good.

If you color your hair dark, the gray is a much bigger contrast against it so the gray stands out more and you have to color more often to keep it hidden.

If you go blonde, the gray will blend in more with the lightness of the blonde rather than stand out.

However, if your hair is naturally dark, you have the issue of taking care of the dark roots.  Not sure which is worse.

Antonella just said the other day on a show that she fried her hair.   

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@kelshar wrote:

I know the reason Antonella is blonde is to hide her gray. Gray is less noticeable in blonde hair than dark hair.

I imagine this is just a story.  If she wanted to hide gray, the logical thing to do is use a dark dye, not blonde.  I won't say what I think her new "look" looks like but it's not good.

If you color your hair dark, the gray is a much bigger contrast against it so the gray stands out more and you have to color more often to keep it hidden.

If you go blonde, the gray will blend in more with the lightness of the blonde rather than stand out.

However, if your hair is naturally dark, you have the issue of taking care of the dark roots.  Not sure which is worse.

Antonella just said the other day on a show that she fried her hair.   

@Lipstickdiva : The latter is worse, IMO. Brunettes who want to be blondes are changing the hair color they were born with, by CHOICE. Brunettes who are going grey just want to KEEP the color they were born with (me included). I WISH my hair had stayed naturally dark without grey!

Most of the "blondes" at the Q aren't going lighter so that the grey isn't as noticeable. They have dark roots, which are showing most of the time. Even though this hair "trend" seems to be popular, it's not a look l personally care for. It gives the impression that they didn't have the time or motivation to visit the colorist, lol. JMHO.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@handygal2 

My opinion exactly!!  Before my hair turned white, I was a brunette all of my life.  I had bright blue eyes and fair skin.  I would have looked completely washed out as a blonde.

Amy, especially is not as attractive as a blonde as she was as a brunette.  And Antonella just looks silly.

Not a slam, they are free to do as they like, of course.  JMO.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@handygal2 

My opinion exactly!!  Before my hair turned white, I was a brunette all of my life.  I had bright blue eyes and fair skin.  I would have looked completely washed out as a blonde.

Amy, especially is not as attractive as a blonde as she was as a brunette.  And Antonella just looks silly.

Not a slam, they are free to do as they like, of course.  JMO.

@LilacTree : Brunettes with fair skin and blue eyes are particularly striking, IMO. The dark hair makes blue eyes "pop." I have fair skin, hazel green eyes and almost-black hair.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Valued Contributor

I think part of the problem is that most of them are going to the same hairstylist, Maria Macool of the Calista brand.  Maria seems to be a one trick pony and it shows.  She does Shawn, Jane, Amy, Carolyn, and she did Antonella's color change.  There are others too.   

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Honored Contributor

@FLGranny wrote:

I love Antonella to death but the too blonde hair and too tan skin is a little too much. She was absolutely beautiful before the change. I mean, if it’s what she wants and she feels better having done it then more power to her. Her personality and joy for life shines through no matter what!

Oh my goodness, I just saw Antionella on a pearl show.  That blonde does not look good at all.  I hope she changes it back to black.

Regular Contributor

Watching Antonella host Honora pearls now, she had her roots touched up again!
Honored Contributor

i think it is perfectly ok to lighten your hair for the Spring and Summer months, however you always have to take into consideration your skintone and eye color,etc...

.I am very warm with a yellow undertone, and medium tan skin that tans easily. I have med golden brown hair, I would look awful with black hair, but I would probably look equally as awful with Blonde hair...

If Antonella wanted lighter hair, she should have probably started with some nice Carmel or Auburn highlights. I get Carmel highlights in mine for the warmer months.....

Not everyone looks good as a blonde......

Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva : The latter is worse, IMO. Brunettes who want to be blondes are changing the hair color they were born with, by CHOICE. Brunettes who are going grey just want to KEEP the color they were born with (me included). I WISH my hair had stayed naturally dark without grey!

Most of the "blondes" at the Q aren't going lighter so that the grey isn't as noticeable. They have dark roots, which are showing most of the time. Even though this hair "trend" seems to be popular, it's not a look l personally care for. It gives the impression that they didn't have the time or motivation to visit the colorist, lol. JMHO.

@handygal2, Antonella specifically said the reason she went blonde was for better gray management.