Respected Contributor

Re: Apparently Hosts Can Advertise Products Not From QVC?

Hosts are real people with real lives and their own belongings. I think it would be creepy if everything they sported and mentioned was only QVC goods. Like they’re a legion of QVC bots or something. 

Respected Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

Hosts are real people with real lives and their own belongings. I think it would be creepy if everything they sported and mentioned was only QVC goods. Like they’re a legion of QVC bots or something. 

@Grouchomarx that is how I feel too. 

Trusted Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

My thought is that this will not have a definitive answer as no one is privileged to the contents of a QVC  host contract to say they are or are not allowed. 

Not true.

A host is not allowed to say something like "This purse is a copy of a Gucci."  They can hint and even that can be problematic.

A guest - like Isaac for example - can say non-QVC brand names.

There is a certain host that gets away with saying brand names but that host knows better but still pushes her luck.

As for a host telling a viewer where they bought an item - that's OK.  They are answering a viewer on social media vs saying the brand name on the air.

Honored Contributor

You can't leave a link to another store on the boards.  I would think the hosts would say nothing about a top, etc.  I can usually tell.  If it's cute, or youngish looking.... good chance it's not QVC

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Halidon wrote:

I don't know, but somehow I thought a host would be under contract not to advertise for other suppliers.  For example, saying or posting that what they are wearing, etc. can be obtained from another retailer.  I can see vehicles and other items not offered at QVC. Is this just an old adage that you advertise for your employer. Thoughts (and it's just a question)?

@Halidon 

This is a topic that comes up quite a bit from viewers.  If its asked on  Facebook Page or call received by Customer Service, and if it's not a QVC item the generic response is, "It's not a QVC product and it's from the host's personal closet."  And one host even shared that QVC Management wasn't particularly happy when Customer Service was getting calls about a particular jewelry item that was a non-QVC item the host was wearing--- so going forward she would wear only QVC items on air.....

And this should be troubling to the vendors ad buyers when the host choses not to wear QVC clothing lines in their on-air shows, especially if it's a fashion show (and one host in particular is known to do this)....It certainly sends the wrong message that apparently they don't like QVC's clothing) and this IS during their working hours....The hosts can of course wear what that want on their own time.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sashamatthews wrote:

I think the hosts should be required to wear clothing sold by the channel.  Now, that is a problem because the channel no longer has on-air programs for men's apparel.  My niece works at Tiffany; store employees are not allowed to wear non-Tiffany jewelry except for wedding rings/engagement rings.  So why can't the Q be as strict?

@sashamatthews   I enjoy seeing the hosts wear cute clothes from other places.  I wouldn't like it if they had to exclusively wear clothes from QVC.  When they are selling something like Denim & Co. or Susan Graver they usually do wear the clothes.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Regular Contributor

I totally agree that all female hosts should only wear items that can be purchased on QVC because a lot of times we do like what they are wearing and would like to purchase for ourselves  They should also not be allowed to wear items from QVC that have been discontinued or gone away.

Regular Contributor

@Lainey59 wrote:

They should also not be allowed to wear items from QVC that have been discontinued or gone away.

That could get really expensive for them....

Football is my favorite season.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sashamatthews  Agree 100%.  Especially when they're doing clothing shows.  So many posts ask about an item the host is wearing.  Problem would be solved if they wore QVC clothing.  A selling opportunity missed and IMO it shows what the hosts think of the clothing QVC sells.

Frequent Contributor

I can recall a caller once asking ?is a Robertson about a top she had on and she said it was J Crew. That's why the Gili line was started -  because so many women wanted to dress like herm  Most Got It Love It items were knockoffs of items chosen by Lisa as I understand it.