Honored Contributor

@debic wrote:

LOL, I got a notice last month that my Mother's credit card was going to be cancelled if she didn't use it.  She died 4 years ago and I closed out all of her bank accounts.

@debic So sorry about your Mom. That company is running a little late, isn't it?  I am amazed at some of the errors in billing that I've seen.  I got bills for a daily newspaper for two years even though I was never a subscriber.  I called them several times and they said they'd take care of it but never did.  Recently, the paper was sold and they notified me that my subscription would need to be renewed for the new company. So, the bills have stopped.  :-)

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have their credit line lowered?

just a reminder......qvc doesnt manage the QCARD......it is through SYNCRHONY BANK. many other stores use this bank for their credit cards.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

I never understand why people have store credit cards. The interest rates tend to normally be outrageous.

@icezeus  Simple answer. Because they usually offer advantages relating to the store and I pay my credit card balances off in full every month, so no matter how high the interest rate it, it doesn't affect me at all. I never pay any interest, I just reap the benefits of having the card, whatever they may be.

Esteemed Contributor

I take advantage of stores that offer sometimes 20 or 30% off purchase if you get their credit card. I've had many cards I've used once for the discount and never used again; however, they've never lowered my credit. I never cancel a credit card as it will lower your FICA, as would also be lowered if they lowered your credit. 

Trusted Contributor

When I got a major store card I was told to use it every 5/6 months to keep it active.   They close dormant cards to protect you and themselves.   They do not know if the lack of use is because the card has been lost, etc.   Many people sign up for a store card to get that days promotional discount and never in tend to use it again.  With all of the dangers to our credit these days I am glad that this is done.   I make sure that I use my cards each quarter and I have no problems.   It is very easy to go on line a few days after shopping and I pay off the balance on the card.    The points earned by shopping with my few cards I turn into gift cards for birthdays and Christmas.   I have young people in my family who love to shop for themselves.  They would rather get a gift card.  I personnaly love to buy gifts but I guess that makes me "old fashion".

Valued Contributor

@lucymo, I keep getting bills from Soap Opera Digest for a fake 'renewal' at a very high, outlandish price...and I hadn't even been a subscriber, so this was a scam to try to get people to mistakening pay their 'bills!"  It really upsets me for companies to take advantage of ill & elderly people in this way.  That is morally wrong!

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Honored Contributor

@SerenityNowMyndi wrote:

@lucymo, I keep getting bills from Soap Opera Digest for a fake 'renewal' at a very high, outlandish price...and I hadn't even been a subscriber, so this was a scam to try to get people to mistakening pay their 'bills!"  It really upsets me for companies to take advantage of ill & elderly people in this way.  That is morally wrong!

@Serenity-Now  It's just awful how many scams are going around.  It doesn't seem to matter how much the police try to warn people about the dangers some will still get caught up in them.  These scammers are good at what they do and can make people believe what they say.  I always told my Mom not to talk to them and to save all the mail that she thought the offers were 'too good to be true'.  Also, she didn't owe anyone so not to be scared into thinking she did, just in case she talked to them.

Hope you're having a great weekend.

Honored Contributor

A few years ago, DH and I bought a new stove from Lowes. They were offering 6 months same as cash if you used the Lowes card. DH applied for it and we divided our total into 6 payments so when the 6 month period was off, the stove was paid in full.

Yesterday we went to buy a freezer and we were asked if we had a Lowe's card because apparently you get 5% off everything when you use a Lowe's card.  If he would have used the card, I would have just gone right on-line and paid the card off because we planned on paying cash. 

DH pulled his card out and come to find out, because he hadn't used it in 1 year, they closed it and he would have had to re-apply.  We told them forget it. I thought 1 year was kind of crazy to close an account for non-use.