Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone Else Stressed By An Ignorant Landlord?

The horror stories I could tell from my tenant days are no worse than the horror stories during my landlady years.

Esteemed Contributor

@deeva 

agree , have had similar experiences with some really rotten tenants who like to take advantage of  people who rent out private properties . Had my share of those  tenants who don't pay their water bills and then the town tried to put a lien on my property.... then you spend all day in court  to get a judgement against them .

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We had a landlord that didn't want to make repairs when they came up. We started fixing the stuff we could. We deducted what we paid for supplies to fix it from our rent. Landlord didn't like it but too bad. We sent rent check with receipts showing what it was for.

When the sewer line collapsed he would not return our phone call. We couldn't take a shower, use the toilet etc. DH went to his place of business because he was told he was not in. DH could see him in his office joking around with 3 other men. DH took off to his office with the receptionist telling him he couldn't go in there. He told him he had better get someone over to fix the issue or he could pay our hotel bills until he did. He told DH to never come to his office again. DH told him if he needed to come down there again he would. LOL!!! He sold the place after the sewer repair. He was a real piece of work.

We took care of the rental property the same as we keep the home we own. It looked better after we moved out. Nothing needed to be done before it could be rented again.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If a landlord or owner of property that rents does not have money to do repairs they should not be in the business of renting!!

No sympathy for oh rent doesn't pay for every thing needed. I'm sure they don't live in one of their properties.

I guess the same goes for tenants. If they can't pay rent or are irresponsible, they should (or be forced to) find another alternative.

It's wonderful to have a responsive and considerate landlord and also the same with a tenant.

But there can be headaches on both sides and anyone who wants to be a landlord and hoping to make money from it, is it worth it? Not always at all.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac I would be kicked off these boards if I told you what I call mine! He absolutely hates when you call him about something being broken.He does such a poor job mowing,you would swear he is blind.I could go on and on,but I have to get ready for work so I can pay the .............. next month rent

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz,

I think we had the same landlord/aka evil empire!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

After two experiences of living in private homes, I'm MUCH happier living in an apartment complex. It's professionally managed, you pay the rent and no one bothers you. Maintenace comes quick for any issue. There's a nice outdoor pool, small fitness center, and I have a nice private, sunny deck.  Excellent snow removal, starting very early and continually keep up.They vacuum the carpeted stairs almost weekly and at times, a give a deep clean. At my previous place (private home) where I was for ~4 years, he NEVER cleaned two sets of carpeted stairs. If something went wrong with plumbing, etc., he would tell me that I am "costing him money". His wife told me not to put my hand in the garbage disposal (really?) and he told me how to keep the shower curtain in so water doesn't come on the floor. Previous to that, a female landlord (who lived on the property) told me multiple times that I can weed her garden anytime that I like. I don't smoke, have no pets, paid rent on time or earlier. Who needs this ******? The private homes were much older and less enery efficient. He didn't want to replace his 50+ year old boiler (until he found out he could get an energy discount). My bedroom was STILL freezing in the winter (in the 50's) and i had to use a heater. Where I am now is newer, much more energy efficient, my utility bills went down ~85%. The oil heat there went sky high the last few years, and I almost dreaded seeing the oil truck. Rent is more $ here, but worth EVERY PENNY!! This is SO MUCH better than living in a private home where the landlords want to boss or control you. Good luck and look into something like this if you can!

Respected Contributor

@skatting44 oh trust me,there are more scumbag landlords than tenants!SPEAKING ON MY BEHALF,I KEEP MY TOWNHOME SPOTLESS AND UPDATED.MOST UPDATES,I HAVE PD FOR.MATTER OF FACT,I HAVE A MAINTENCE PERSON COMING TO CK AIR AND FURNACE FOR THE YR.MONEY PD WILL COME OUT OF MY POCKET(95.00) BECAUSE SCUMLORD IS JUST THAT,CHEAP !!!!!

Trusted Contributor

I had the BEST landlord. I rented a beautiful townhouse for 5 years before I bought my house. ANYTHING that needed to be done was taken care of IMMEDIATELY. When we did a walk thorough before I moved, he gave me a check for my security deposit right away.

Esteemed Contributor

@Luvsmyfam 

Never said it was a one sided issue , just was stating my experience .

And yes, I did rent  from  a very fair and nice landlord   before I bought my  home .