QVC Customer Care

Re: Anybody Notice a Sudden Influx of "New" Posters?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@Citrine1 wrote:

Yes, I noticed a bunch of "new" posters.  Didn't notice the registration dates, but I've seen a lot of new nics with very few posts.  Sometimes you see a bunch -- one right after the other -- in a thread.  That always strikes me as odd.  

When I first registered, it took awhile for me to get my feet wet and feel comfortable posting. Also I found there were a lot of rules to follow, symbols across the top I didn't understand how to use (& am still learning), a snarky remark that scared me off for awhile. There are many reasons for the lapses in time.

I agree and I know what you are saying @Shanus, but what I'm referring to that I find odd is when a thread is started by a new poster and then the second post is a comment by yet another new poster and then the third post is yet another new poster, etc., etc.  I just find that unusual and, at times, questionable.  Doesn't happen often, but it has happened.  

Edited for punctuation

Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

There are so many very helpful posters here; and I don't pay any attention to who is who, as far as nics and differing viewpoints.  A few posters' nics 'pop into my mind' here and there, but as far as keeping track of who says what, I don't.   I'm just grateful that I have a place to keep in touch with other nice folks across this country.   Heart

Aww, that's so sweet, @ROMARY. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

I've noticed that a few of those low post count members who registered some time ago sound very similar to someone who recently said he's (she's?) not posting here anymore.  One who just started posting recently starts the same types of threads too.  What a coincidence!  Lose one poster and pick up several more just like him/her.

I wonder if the moderators bother to check IP addresses to look for any patterns.  They seem pretty busy, so maybe not.

I think there is a pattern of people who come here, get banned (or simply wear out their welcome with their hateful and know it all attitudes about everything under the sun), then resurface as a 'new' poster, over and over again. 

Some of them are able to hide their identity for awhile, others, I see through who they really are, right away. 

I wish Q could take more time, and keep those that have been banned, off forever.

Bingo.

When a "new" poster starts out creating contentious threads that your average newbie just wouldn't, and they snark it right out of the "first five" posts...I know it's not a "new" poster. 

FWIW, there have been a few posters who were actual new posters at one time that were not necessarily double-nics or alter egoes, but have been aggressive pot-stirrers right from post #1. They may not technically be t-rolls but I consider their posting aims to be very similar.

I've been on forums where posters have several nics and talk to each other. They agree and support each other. I'm not easily surprised....

Honored Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

I've noticed that a few of those low post count members who registered some time ago sound very similar to someone who recently said he's (she's?) not posting here anymore.  One who just started posting recently starts the same types of threads too.  What a coincidence!  Lose one poster and pick up several more just like him/her.

I wonder if the moderators bother to check IP addresses to look for any patterns.  They seem pretty busy, so maybe not.

I think there is a pattern of people who come here, get banned (or simply wear out their welcome with their hateful and know it all attitudes about everything under the sun), then resurface as a 'new' poster, over and over again. 

Some of them are able to hide their identity for awhile, others, I see through who they really are, right away. 

I wish Q could take more time, and keep those that have been banned, off forever.

Bingo.

When a "new" poster starts out creating contentious threads that your average newbie just wouldn't, and they snark it right out of the "first five" posts...I know it's not a "new" poster. 

FWIW, there have been a few posters who were actual new posters at one time that were not necessarily double-nics or alter egoes, but have been aggressive pot-stirrers right from post #1. They may not technically be t-rolls but I consider their posting aims to be very similar.

I've been on forums where posters have several nics and talk to each other. They agree and support each other. I'm not easily surprised....

Oh yeah, me too - that's why I know it when I see it.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

It's pretty obvious that people create duplicate accounts to file anonymous complaints in the Suggestion Box or Q Talk forums. I just roll my eyes and move on.  If you think that's odd, I know people who create fake Facebook profiles to ingratiate themselves with vendors and press them about release dates and details of products.

Occasional Contributor

I didn't read every reply so if I am repeating something already said I apologize.  I don't come to these forums everyday because I am busy working and taking care of aging parents.  I do like to post from time to time but only when I feel I can honestly contribute to the conversation.  Maybe this is why others don't post that often too.  I do understand what you're saying about how it seems "fishy".  

Honored Contributor

@gingie08 wrote:

I didn't read every reply so if I am repeating something already said I apologize.  I don't come to these forums everyday because I am busy working and taking care of aging parents.  I do like to post from time to time but only when I feel I can honestly contribute to the conversation.  Maybe this is why others don't post that often too.  I do understand what you're saying about how it seems "fishy".  

@gingie08, other new and infrequent posters such as yourself will post about being new, ask questions about products, talk about products and shows, TSVs, etc maybe introduce themselves if it fits into a conversation - the normal things most people would think to say or ask.

Genuinely new posters don't often make their first post, or first postin general, to complain about someone or something, often in a pretty rude, strident way - attempting to get people to make equally rude, aggressive replies. Or post a comment that's guaranteed to pot-stir. Agendas across several threads or regarding the same person are a dead giveaway to me, 

Of course, there are other tactics, so that a person doesn't always "appear" to be a brand new poster. But honestly, most people recognize the genuine posters, they really do - not to worry :-) 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

Bingo.

@febe1

Now that's a bit scary when a person has several nics and they talk to "themselves".....sounds like a scenario from a bad horror movie!

Image result for cat looking scared

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@gingie08 wrote:

@gingie08, other new and infrequent posters such as yourself will post about being new, ask questions about products, talk about products and shows, TSVs, etc maybe introduce themselves if it fits into a conversation - the normal things most people would think to say or ask.

Genuinely new posters don't often make their first post, or first postin general, to complain about someone or something, often in a pretty rude, strident way - attempting to get people to make equally rude, aggressive replies. Or post a comment that's guaranteed to pot-stir. Agendas across several threads or regarding the same person are a dead giveaway to me, 

Of course, there are other tactics, so that a person doesn't always "appear" to be a brand new poster. But honestly, most people recognize the genuine posters, they really do - not to worry :-) 

@Moonchilde

I agree, I think most are savvy enough to figure out the genuine newbies from the pretenders.....I remember one trouble maker who "ressurected' with a similar uncommon nickname and the writing style and comments were just so obvious it was kinda funny....from what I've been told they finally got permanently banned

Or I just laugh at the "new" posters whose first post just happens to be about former host, Patti Reilly.....I mean come on....talk about pot stirrers.......animated-smileys-rolleyes-10.gif

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”