Honored Contributor

Re: Any Medicare do's and don'ts for signing up.

When I signed up for Medicare I had a meeting with a close relative's financial planner who went over plans with me in great detail. I decided on United Health Care, but at the moment don't recall which letter plan I have. It also has an Rx plan attached.

I have had a couple of surgeries, chemo, radiation (all done with all that) and numerous admits for small bowel obstructions (all fixed now) and never paid ONE RED CENT out of pocket thanks to my coverage.

Valued Contributor

I don't know if you live in an area with senior centers and a good network of senior related programs, but if you have senior centers they are a wonderful resource for 

helping with everything from taxes, financial advice, fitness and nutrition etc. etc.

When it was time for me to sign up for SS and Medicare and the various supplemental programs I went to my local senior center (by appointment) and they have folks from an organization called SHINE which consists of retired individuals from various fields who 

visit the centers and provide services such as Medicare advice and information and tax preparation etc.

The man who assisted me explained clearly and simply the various aspects of Part A Part B and Part D (prescriptions).  He then brought up a number of available plans/options that are available to people in my area.  Taking into account your budget and your health conditions and what gets covered for how much (premiums) and what your deductables are and so forth, he guided me to choosing a supplement and prescription plan that fit my needs so well that I never even consider making a change to anything so far (after 5 years!).  

I hope you are fortunate enough to have such wonderful resources where you live because they really take a lot of the mystery, uncertainty and frustration out of making

such important choices.  

Valued Contributor

Document everything who you talked to name, date, time. Make copies of your paperwork other than that it is pretty automatic like 624 mentioned . Medicare will notify you. My employer handled the supplement part of it. I found that some of Medicare people are not too intelligent. I went thru he'll with them as they lost my paperwork and had to go thru the process twice. I am not on social security so I have to make sure I send the payment in when they send the bill. 

Honored Contributor

It's very easy to sign up for Medicare. Set up a MyMedicare account and you can do it all online.  It's good to do it 2-3 months ahead of when you want it to start. Just follow the menu and answer all the questions. 

Once you sign up, you can obtain information on all the supplemental insurance policies in your area/state on MyMedicare. 

What I didn't know when I signed up is that EVERY supplemental policy functions the same way and covers the same things since they must meet Medicare/government requirements.  I just switched companies and am saving $50 a month for the exact same coverage.

Respected Contributor

For Medicare...the ONLY Place to go it Medicare.gov.

This is the official GOVERMENT website for Medicare. Our government runs Medicare.

I agree with former poster who advised do NOT call the TeeVee ad numbers unless you want to be pestered for the rest of your life starting one minute after you hang up your call.

Once on Medicare.gov.... you can go to see "plans available" in YOUR zip code

( NOTE: This is NOT the "check your zipcode" nonsense you see on TeeVee...this is a comprehensive list of the many many many Medicare Advantage and  Supplement Plans that are available in YOUR zip code, so you can compare coverage.)

Have your list of Medications if you take any before going to the site.

You do NOT have to "create an account" to see this info. Very easy site navigation.

I live in a very small PA county and there are 51 companies that service my zip code. Many of the very largest in the country are on that list, from 0 dollar a month to plans with modest payments.

Be sure to check what your plan you choose will cover. ...0 dollar a month plans may SEEM like a bargain until you find out what they DON'T cover, and you don't want to find out when you need it. Hospital per day room costs come to mind.

Also be sure you understand the difference between Medicare ADVANTAGE plans Medicare SUPPLEMENT plans and MediGAP plans.

Most of these plans let you change your mind from year to year, or even decide NOT to buy ANY of them to augment Medicare.

But some may have rules that can affect getting BACk into a plan later on if you change your mind.

When you decide what plan and call them, they will tell you immediately whether you can get that "money added back to your Social Security check" they bray about on TeeVee. 

This usually applies to the very poorest zip codes in the country. You most likely will not qualify,but ask anyway!!! You can Google where those funds come from..it has something to do with certain states taking MediCAID money to help the very poor.

Any way...good luck!! It IS daunting.

Just make sure you sign up for MEDICARE within three months of your 65th birthday.

If you are already taking Social Security, you will automatically start Medicare, there is nothing more to do for Medicare to start.

If, like me, you choose to wait until 70 to take Social Security ( or ANY time after your 65th birthday) you STILL have to start Medicare if you've stopped working .

If you DON'T you will be assessed a penalty (increase) in the Medicare premium for the rest of your life.

If you haven't started Social Security , you will be billed for your Medicare payment either monthly or quarterly until you begin Social Security.

Before you invesitgate the plans, if you have a favorite doctor or dentist, you might call thier office to see what company plans they accept. My dentist does not accept my plan, but I like him, and knock on wood, my teeth have been excellent, so I pay out of pocket for two cleanings a year and X rays once. It works out in my case to the same it would cost for an added dental plan if I got one.

Also.... when you call the plan, ask them about Part D ( Prescription drugs) there is some kind of penalty if you don't have Part D coverage but I don't recall what it is.

Hope this helps. My note is long, but it IS a lengthy process!!!

Respected Contributor

Forgot to mention...if you have homeowners or auto insurance at an agency in your town ( not an 800 number!!)...call thier office and ask if they help with making that choice for Supplement or Advantage plans, or, if they can give advice in your local area who may do that.

Honored Contributor

Just my opinion.... I wouldn't call any of the senior programs or offices.

Signing up for Medicare is a breeze if you do it online as I described in my prior post. 

However, it did help me to have a broker walk me through the various supplemental plan options the first time. I would have done it myself if I had known all supplemental plans must cover the same things but some charge more than others. 

There are a few things that might affect the price of supplemental insurance, like certain medications. A very few companies have height/weight requirements.  A friend has diabetes so her premium is higher than mine. I have minor health issues but my prescriptions did not impact the price.

Honored Contributor

Ooops!  Avoid Advantage Plans. If you don't select Medicare, there are strict limitations for going on Medicare if you change your mind down the road.

Yes, I know a few people who like their Advantage plans. For me, I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. 

And never never never call those phone numbers in tv, emails, mass mailings, and other ads.

Respected Contributor

@MW in Iowa  On a side note... if you are still working and covered,  you only need to sign up for PART A right now.

Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone know what would be the closest equivalent to the supplemental or medigap policy F?  I am thinking G but wonder if that is correct.