Valued Contributor

Re: Anthony Heywood is an excellent host

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I like Anthony very much; professional, warm and with a nice sense of humor to make presentations very enjoyable.

Ali Carr is another sensational new host. She is a natural, with a very pleasing presentation voice and style. 

I watched Katrina Szish this early morning hosting a show with Cathy Pedrayes.  During a kitchen presentation, Katrina was awful -- spilling a glass of wine on the demonstration table, and never really recovering. Things happen on live TV, but it became awkward.   However, she triumphantly rebounded in her fashion presentations!  Katrina's background is heavy in the fashion industry, and you could see her comfort and expertise shine, she was fantastic.  She's closer to 50 years old; I only bring that up because she stated she has 22 years at top fashion magazines as an editor.  That experience really brought good insight this morning when she talked about design and the fit of the items. 

I've only seen a couple of the other new hosts for short introductions in Mary Beth's shows.

@Caaareful Shopper She is 46

Honored Contributor

@Mlsg  I thought she was 48 or 49 -- thanks for that correction.

Honored Contributor

Seems like this group has been more well received than the last group of newbies.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@San Antonio Gal wrote:
Seems like this group has been more well received than the last group of newbies.

@San Antonio Gal  Yes, and I think deservedly so.  One theory [of mine] is this latest group was screened and hired with much better experience and review of key attributes for TV sales. 

Another theory [again, mine only] is that the job training was overhauled so that most of the newbie kinks are thoroughly addressed before the hosts get on air.  

I think it's more of the former.  Looking at the backgrounds of a lot of the newest hosts, they are more seasoned and professionally mature for TV sales.  They are not, "oh I've been on TV before and have an Emmy so QVC sales is a piece of cake!"   

Esteemed Contributor

Could be they did a better job of screening this group. Certainly having a voice that doesn't grate like nails on a chalkboard should be an absolute MUST for any host on TV.

There are quite a few, across all the shopping networks, that annoy me enough that I can only listen for a short period of time and then I change the channel, no matter what they are selling.

Some of the hosts I started out enjoying and then their egos and mannerisms finally rubbed me the wrong way so I simply won't watch them - and they are experienced. I rediscovered the History channel over the holidays and well as many posters like to remind anyone who complains - I can indeed change the channel.

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I watched him too in the wee hours and he knows what he's doing. That being said, I'm not a fan of his British accent and after 20 minutes, he was on my last nerve so I changed the channel.

@blackhole99 I totally AGREE! I listened to him about 5-10 minutes & Won't be watching him again. 

Respected Contributor

I watched him last night.  He's now my favorite host.  Head and shoulders above the other male hosts.  He's not hyper, explains everything nicely and without talking over the guest.  Hope he continues that way.  Haven't seen too much of the others that were just hired, but  hope they're more like him than the last lot they hired......Mary, Kristine, Cathy and Kortney.  They make me want to change the channel. 

Honored Contributor

These hosts do seem more polished and professional

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don’t like him and the facial hair.  I find it really oft-putting.     watched a few minutes, that was enough of him for me.  And just as a TMI, i don’t like Scott Grimes’ facial do either (JAI Vendor). 

Respected Contributor

I don't believe Anthony Heywood is more attractive than Dan Hughes..Dan is a true Marlboro man..he is handy, works on cars and farms. Hes a "mans man" something that seems to be disappearing from the current generstion of men (those under 50)