Valued Contributor

At my job, you get a weeks paid vacation after one year, and an additional week after every third year thereafter. I currently get 4 weeks vacation and after next year will be eligible for 5. There’s nothing extraordinary about the work I do or how hard I work, so I’m guessing others have the same kind of deal. People who begrudge others for taking their earned time off probably don’t even have jobs or understand what it means to have a professional career. If they did, they wouldn’t be complaining.

Respected Contributor

I lose a lot of vacation hours each year, because frankly, I like my job and the people I work with, and don't like to travel and when I take time off, I either spend too much money shopping or spend all my time working around the house.  I've done several trips the last few years (for work), and like going and seeing new areas of the country, but am relatively happy not traveling and staying at home.

I have my "once in a lifetime trip" to Europe in about a month, and will burn through a lot of my banked vacation time.

I actually get a lot more time a year then I need, and wish I could donate some sick or vacation hours to those who may be struggling with illness, but my company won't allow it. 

I get 7 holidays and 4 personal days a year, plus 5 weeks vacation a year (since I've been there for A LOT of years), and soon will have the maximum amount of sick hours banked in case I need them, a whopping 520 hours!  I have to take a day and a half off each month in order to just stay even on vacation hours.

I enjoy my job, my manager, and my co-workers, so I joke that coming to work is almost like being on a vacation.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

With my time in my job, I have 4 weeks vacation per year.  Many people do, and even more weeks than that, depending on their job/industry.

The week before and after Labor Day are very popular vacation weeks.  It's the last hurrah of summer.  The building garage is nearly empty and a couple of us brought in breakfast into the conference room for us few souls working this week.

Honored Contributor

I think it's great people can accrue a lot of PTO. More companies need to offer better PTO plans.  A mentally healthy and refreshed employee does a better job than those who are forced to work without a PTO option.  

Hosts that have been there a while earn more time off than new people.    I know I didn't take a lot of time for many years so it built up.  Even when using more, I accrued a lot because i'd been there a long time.  I never fell below 300 hours because I'd been there a long time.  I was sure glad I had it when I needed/wanted it.   

Honored Contributor

Honestly who cares?

My 31 year old son who has been at his current job for 7 years gets a generous 5 weeks off this year.  If he doesn't use it, it gets lost since he can't carry it over to the following year.

I'm sure David who has been on the job much, much longer than my son is making a whole lot more and has a very generous vacation allowance.

Honored Contributor

You begrudge people their vacations?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

The number of weeks vacation you get depends on the company you work for and the position you hold at that company.  I get 6 weeks, unlimited sick days and 12 holidays.  My husband gets 8 weeks, unlimited sick days and same holidays but he works for a different company.  Employers want you to take your vacation days.  It gives you needed R&R so when you return to work you are refreshed and more productive.

Respected Contributor

Husband gets so much vacation each year he can actually sell back 2 weeks annually. He gets the cash, not the time. And he still has plenty of time left.

As for the hosts, one said one time they cannot take time off during the holiday selling period, which is like 3 months.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

This obsession with the number of days a certain host takes off is just bizarre.  Why not just e-mail and ask him for the straight up scoop.

Respected Contributor

I don't begrudge anyone going on vacation. Even t v hosts. While I don't care to watch David's replacement, and didn't, vacation away!. When my husband retired last year he was up to 9 weeks vacation. Not to mention the sick, personal and "mental health" days.