Respected Contributor

In my opinion, the prepaid return labels are another way to MAKE MONEY from shipping and handling.

I don't think a business should LOSE money on shipping and handling. But, I find it personally offensive to use it a source of MAKING money from the customer.

It is a way to charge more for a product without it looking like it.

I got an item to return for another shopping channel (so QVC is not alone in this). It had a minimun $6.95 prepaid label. Since it was a cosmetic product, it was very light. At the post office, the charge was $2.50 to mail it. Even accounting for the packaging, which came from the company, it cost $4.75 MORE to send it.

Since we already pay ONCE, to get it, I think that is ENOUGH, even if we return it. Even being generous in costs associated with processing a return, I think we are being gouged.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

I only use the prepaid label if it's a bulky item. Otherwise, I pay and print my postage at USPS.com. And it gets there a whole lot faster.

Honored Contributor
The q refunds the original shipping fee when you return. You get the choice to use the prepaid label or not. Sometimes the most economical choice is not to. Not sure what other shopping networks do.
Honored Contributor

I make my own label. And always insure.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Regular Contributor

I wish people would get over the shipping and handling charges and stop complaining. We all have to pay it. If we don't, we can go to the malls...which I don't care to do. I figure the shipping and handling costs are my convenience so that I don't have to go to those malls.

Valued Contributor

I could understand your anger if we were forced to use the return label but as you state, it is not required to use their return label...you can go to the post office and wait in line and pay the cost and you won't be 'gouged'.

Those labels and the extra cost is worth it to me for the convenience. I use their prepaid label and I can drop it in the mailbox at work. If I do not use the prepaid, I cannot use the box at work, I have to go stand in line at one of the City's post offices, which are only open during the exact hours I am at work, or I can go on saturday morning and wait in line for 45 minutes (no exaggeration, seriously). If they didn't offer those prepaid labels, I would probably not get around to returning anything and I'd have to eat the cost of the whole item, vs an extra few bucks. again, not worth it to you, but I am very glad I at least have the option.

Esteemed Contributor

I know of very few places you can buy anything, online, catalogs, etc. where the seller will refund the ORIGINAL shipping that you paid, as QVC does. If they shipped it to you, it cost them an amount of money for both shipping and handling - someone has to pull the item and package it to be shipped. Whatever it costs them, YOU GET IT BACK. So that means that they've made nothing on your purchase, in fact, they've lost money, however much that is. Even if it only cost them $4.00 to ship, and you paid $7.00, they've lost $3.00 when you return the item.

If you're returning simply because you don't like what you received, that's not their fault. So if you don't want them to "make money" on your return, do the research and print your own label if it's cheaper, or take the time and gas to go to the post office and find out if it's cheaper. It's not like we don't have choices here. Saying "we already pay ONCE, and that's enough" just doesn't make sense to me, since they refund what you paid the first time, no matter why you're returning. It's your choice what you pay to return it.

If it's a defective product, then you're out NOTHING and it's their loss - they refund your original shipping AND pay for the shipping back.