Honored Contributor

Re: And speaking of Bob Mackie.....

I was watching a lot of the 2 hour show this morning at 6 am and I have to say the word "tedious" came to mind.  She would say "this is more casual than the first jacket we had on" and he would say, "it's not really casual, it's all in how you wear it."

She was using Denim & Co. sales pitches and his stuff is a little more elevated than that.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I'd be terrified to get before a camera and thousands of people and do no preparation for my part of the show.  I'd fear making a total fool of myself, if nothing else.  How these youngsters think they can just "wing it" with someone of Bob Mackie's stature is beyond me.  They (and QVC) should be embarrassed by their ineptness.  Surely they should be evaluated on their preparation for their shows.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Bob Mackie!! I don't own a piece of his clothing, but love to hear him. He is s humble & such a gentleman, & PROFESSIONAL. I don't care for Cathy P. at all, I will never watch her, no matter who the vendor is. QVC needs to train ALL the hosts on being professional. I have seen this host act like she had rather skip over 1/2 the presentation & just act silly. PLEASE do something with her. Re-train or dismiss her!!

Esteemed Contributor

Bob is so kind to every host, albeit she isn't prepared a smidgen. I think that was a 2 hour show. That must have been torture. I've seen Bob on with the more experienced hosts, and he really appreciates someone who knows a little of what they're talking about.  

Cathy is very young, however, someone needs to tell her as a newbie, preparation is necessary for the public and for her guests. You get the big bucks for a reason....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

I'd be terrified to get before a camera and thousands of people and do no preparation for my part of the show.  I'd fear making a total fool of myself, if nothing else.  How these youngsters think they can just "wing it" with someone of Bob Mackie's stature is beyond me.  They (and QVC) should be embarrassed by their ineptness.  Surely they should be evaluated on their preparation for their shows.

@Kachina624

Here is an interesting story....I had read it long ago it was BEFORE Mike George took over QVC.....and I remember an interview where one of the more tenured hosts talked about  "a day in the life"........Here's what former CEO Segel required.........

TELEVISION : A Day in the Life of QVC/ROBERT STRAUSS | Robert Strauss is the television critic for the Asbury Park Press in New Jersey May 29, 1994

"When QVC began, founder Segel decided that each hour had to have only one kind of product, which was quite different from the willy-nilly approaches of early home shopping. He also insisted that the hosts be able to chat knowledgeably not only about the product at hand but also about history, art and life in general. To that end, QVC hosts still attend myriad seminars and read reams about each product they handle.

Hosts gather around their particular table, reading index cards chock-full of every conceivable detail about each product.

"We believe we have elevated the knowledge of our viewers, but they are very savvy shoppers and listeners," Treacy said. "That's why you don't go on the air unless you know something inside out and backward. They can tell when you don't do your homework."......................

Now flash forward and read David's week....which sounds like a couple of quick meetings and that's it.......

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/17/david-venable-food-informants_n_1959484.html

I just dont think QVC takes the same care in it's product preparation for its presentations....I hear other hosts mention that they go to a meeting to see the products they will have in their show and you wonder how much time they spend talking about the products versus socializing (if you know how most coprorate meetings go).  Also you see some of the hosts PANIC when they can't find their blue card...they shouldnt need a blue card except for  a couple of specific details like measurements/dimensions etc....

With presentations lacking this is why a lot of customers have to ask questions on the Forum or on the website that couldve/shouldve been covered in the presentations, and probably why QVC has to deal with so many returns......and most of the description of an item on the website is minimal and sales puffery...........

.I think some of the hosts that really care because of personal integrity or want to stay employed or have good sales do take the time to learn about the products...Others seem to be concerned more about talking about themselves and being a "psuedo-celebrity". Their main goal is to make sure that their paycheck was deposited and they have a cavalier attitude about the whole thing.........Its not just Cathy P, she is just one, but there's others too that make me turn the channel due to lack of preperation and more primping and talking about themselves....less watching = less buying at QVC.

Mary Beth was the last new host group's mentor and maybe she is too nice to provide constructive criticism to her protogees.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Very well said @Spurt.  They'd probably be money ahead if they'd take Jill off hosting and make her a "host wrangler".  I can guarantee they'd do their homework and she wouldn't be so nicey nice about seeing they do it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

wrote:

Very well said @Spurt.  They'd probably be money ahead if they'd take Jill off hosting and make her a "host wrangler".  I can guarantee they'd do their homework and she wouldn't be so nicey nice about seeing they do it.

@Kachina624

Yep, she does have that teacher mentality in her and no holds barred attitude which would make her an excellent choice!!!  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I just read the article that SPURT had posted about David V.'s account of what he does to prepare for a QVC show, and his personal daily routine.  A very busy schedule indeed, yet they are compensated with salaries in the seven figures.   No wonder he does the happy dance frequently. 

Super Contributor

I'm curious why the Q puts the latest group of new hosts on the main channel.  They would be better suited on one of the other two channels that airs QVC IMHO.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Early this morning, a wee bit after 4:00am I got up to use the bathroom and the tv was still on. Kathy (Cathy) was showing something long on a rack on hangers, think it might have been long sweaters but I only glanced briefly at the tv w/half closed eyes. Before I could locate the remote to shut it off I heard her say something along the lines of "I just want you to know that you need to be sure and fold your hanger when you get this home"............HUH? I think she was trying to get across this item should be folded not hung.