Trusted Contributor

Re: Analogy, Similie and Metaphor

Chrystaltree wrote:

Is this an SAT prep thread ?

error ... it should read as:

Is this a SAT prep thread?

~~

an would be used if the following word began/begins with a vowel.

Trusted Contributor

Ditzydori wrote:

Just FYI,  a metaphor isn't comparing two unlike things. It's comparing to like things WITHOUT using the words like or as. It only differs from a simile in this way. Both compare like things.  Simile uses like or as, metaphor does not. 

Now i I need to know my test scores. 😉😉😉

a has too many spaces before it

to - this should be: two

WITHOUT - shouting ... no need to shout

i I - typo

test scores - this was a quiz ... only one score

sentence structure will not be discussed at this time.

Over all, it appears you earned a low score, however it is being graded on a curve ... so we shall see!

~~~

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

DJs mom wrote:

Wow, its a good thing you are retired and no longer teaching because you spelled simile wrong and you gave the wrong definition of a metaphor. Now what's that saying about people living in glass houses throwing stones...

As @DJs mom, posted ... 'Now what's that saying about people living in glass houses throwing stones...

Wow, it's a good thing ... no one is throwing stones!

Another quote I really like is: "Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her."

~

It's: This form is used exclusively as a contraction of 'it is' or 'it has'. When making contractions, the apostrophe takes the place of any missing letters (in this case, the 'i' in is and the 'ha' in has). That's it, folks: only use it's when you really mean it is or it has. Easy trick: read the sentence back to yourself, replacing it's with it is or it has. If the sentence no longer makes sense, you're using the wrong form.

Its: Usually, possessive pronouns are made using apostrophes ... But not with its. When you are making its possessive, you leave out the apostrophe: 'its weakness' or 'its pumpkin face'. Remember, the apostrophe-using it's is ONLY used when you mean it is or it has
Respected Contributor

Chrystaltree is correct: one would refer to an SAT test. (The "S" technically is "ess.")

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ChouChou wrote:

OP: you left out synecdoche.

'synecdoche'  and 'metonymy' were not part of the quiz, however @ChouChou and

@gizmogal, thank you both for your contributions.