Respected Contributor

Re: Amy Stran just said the Q does NOT save your cart items for an hour?

[ Edited ]

@geezerette   Thanks for a thoughtful reply.

However, IT USED TO BE RESERVED FOR ME FOR AN HOUR. I shop a lot. Constantly threw an item in the cart that was selling out, watched it sell out online and go to Wait List—but if I was within the protected 1 hour, it was still there for me.

Just wish they would clarify because so many now think that isn't the rule. *sigh*

Honored Contributor

Some years ago there was a CP ring I wanted as a lunchtime special. I saw it and added it to my cart, but I was working and wanted to watch a video first- which I now know was dumb on my part! I thought I had an hour. Twenty minutes later it had moved to saved items and of course had sold out.

I called CS and the representative told me sometimes if an item is popular it will stay in your cart only about 15 minutes. 

I don't know whether or not she was exactly right, but if there is something I can't live without I don't take any chances!  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

@geezerette   Thanks for a thoughtful reply.

However, IT USED TO BE RESERVED FOR ME FOR AN HOUR. I shop a lot. Constantly threw an item in the cart that was selling out, watched it sell out online and go to Wait List—but if I was within the protected 1 hour, it was still there for me.

Just wish they would clarify because so many now think that isn't the rule. *sigh*

@1Professor 

All I can say is that never worked for me.

Honored Contributor

Perhaps a new sales pressure tactic? Was watching Jane one night this week for a bit and she kept repeating "check out before you lose what's in your cart".

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Respected Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21   Great point. Sales. Of course.

What happens with allowing an item to be protected for an hour is that when the item sells out ONLINE (when folks are watching), many give up.

Fanatic shoppers (my tribe) know that too many folks put everything in their cart, all colors, but don't buy. That's why two hours later (it takes the Q awhile to catch up) the size or color you wanted appears.

However, losing buyers who were not fanatical about it (spure of the moment buyers) is costly. These buyers won't track an item that sold out in show. They didn't want it that much. Sale gone. Folks who were never going to buy it, or buy all colors in their cart, held things up.

Don't know why I didn't immediately realize that, but thanks! (I teach a course in the psychology of buying.)

*** Still say the Q should tell us. "Saved" is not clear.

Host information is historically inaccurate/inconsistent.

Honored Contributor

@1Professor  It's always been my understanding that, for example, if there's one item left and it's in your idle shopping cart but someone else is ready to check out with that same item, they're going to get it. A sure sale is going to trump a maybe.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

Over the years there were many times I'd save an item, it would be sold out, and it would still be available to buy in my cart.

I think QVC changed the rules recently which makes sense. So often if something I wanted was sold out I'd check an hour later and it would be back in stock (people's carts had expired). To maximize profits the feeling of missing out is a strong motivator to complete the purchase. It's all about the money.

Honored Contributor

If the item in my cart sells out then the item goes to 'Saved Items' where I can see it when I go to the screen where my cart is. The saved items, even sold out, remain there until I delete them.

Honored Contributor

I think the hosts get credit for a sale if the item is purchased while they're on air.  So they want you to check out fast, and use scare tactics, so they'll get the credit.  Pure and simple.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I think the hosts get credit for a sale if the item is purchased while they're on air.  So they want you to check out fast, and use scare tactics, so they'll get the credit.  Pure and simple.

@Kachina624    Marketing psychology of a personal nature. Of course!