I am familiar with "cheese food"... but what is "cheese product"? I have been unable to find actual American cheese. Everything is either "food" or "product". What am I missing?
Valued Contributor

I think they are referring to Velveta.  You can also get good American Cheese from Boars Head in the deli counter.

Honored Contributor

A cheese product is cheese with added dairy by products and other ingredients such as oil.

Honored Contributor

As I understand it both terms mean "not much cheese."

Honored Contributor

@hemcat 

Individually wrapped slices are formed from processed cheese which solidifies only between the wrapping medium; these slices, sold as "singles", are typically the least like traditional cheese. Blocks of American cheese are more similar to traditional cheese, and are sliced to order at deli counters or in small blocks of non-individually-wrapped slices. As the older form, some people refer to this as "classic" or "traditional" American cheese.

Honored Contributor

i do use velveeta for dips and some soups. it melts perfectly and does not get grainy as some cheeses can.

for slices of american cheese i purchase land o lakes american or boars head or dietz and watson american cheese at the deli counter where they slice it for me.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

Ask happy dance

Super Contributor

From Cheese.com:

American cheese is processed cheese made from a blend of milk, milk fats and solids, with other fats and whey protein concentrate. At first it was made from a mixture of cheeses, more often than not Colby and Cheddar. Since blended cheeses are no longer used, it cannot be legally called “cheese” and has to be labelled as “processed cheese”, “cheese product“, etc. Sometimes, instead of the word cheese, it is called as "American slices" or "American singles". Under the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations, American cheese is a type of pasteurised processed cheese.

Depending on the percentage of cheese versus additives, the taste and texture of American cheese may vary. Also, the colour may change from orange, yellow to white as decided by the food manufacturer.

Processed American cheese is sold in three varieties – individually wrapped cheese slices, small pre-sliced blocks and large blocks. Before cheese slices were invented, block American cheese was the only one available and hence is also considered "classic" or "traditional" American cheese.

American cheese though criticized for its high fat and sodium content is still used in regular cooking as it melts well and contains a good amount of calcium and protein.

Esteemed Contributor

My father used to work for a dairy, and when Kraft Singles came on the market, they got really frustrated with so much of the public thinking those "cheese products" were the same as American cheese because they're both light in color and mild in flavor. True American cheese can be hard to find nowadays; in my area, only a few big markets offer it at the deli counter. It is a wonderful melting cheese!