Occasional Contributor

Almost Purchased until I saw $27.72 shipping/handling charge

[ Edited ]

I started to purchase the Haier portable air conditioner as a back up this morning.

I added it to my cart without paying attention to the shipping charges and was in the checkout process before I noticed. I just felt they were too high and decided not to purchase.

I think I am spoiled because I normally try to order the "dollar limit" to get free shipping when purchasing online. I do occasionally pay shipping but they are must have situations.

I am curious if there is a certain dollar amount you find too much when it comes to shipping that will stop you from ordering?

Of course it is all relative to size/weight of the item.

Super Contributor

Re: Almost Purched until I saw $27.72 shipping/handling charge

That seems reasonable for the weight of those things. I have had one for years, it is a backup. Mine was a TSV, free shipping I'm pretty sure.

In your situation, I would look elsewhere, and buy at the lowest total cost. Check WalMart, too, they carry some of those, free shipping.

Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

Well.....2 ways to look at it

Can you buy locally and get the machine home by yourself or with help?   If yes, I'd go that route.

If no.........I'd consider the shipping charge reasonable.  Delivered to your porch.

Delivery charges are sometimes a must - even furniture stores won't deliver for free anymore - or very few.

Honored Contributor

I believe the vendor said it weighs 50 pounds so that shipping charge doesn't seem unreasonable.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

If you can find the same thing on the internet (Amazon, etc) shipping is often free.

But sometimes I weigh the difference because I know if I buy something from QVC 9 times out of 10 it's easier to return it and QVC will back up what you buy from them.  (At least that's always been my experience).

Esteemed Contributor

Not unreasonable for that weight item.

Respected Contributor

@fthunt This is so true. I had always gotten free delivery when buying furniture. Last yr I purchased 2 items from the same store, at different times, but within 2 months & was still charged delivery for both items. I knew of the charge, but I had no choice. I don't mind a delivery fee for large items, I understand they sometimes have to have 2 delivery people. 

Occasional Contributor

Thanks everyone, I agree for the weight it isn't unreasonable, and I did google and could find it just a mile away from my house for the same price.

I found it "out of character" today when I backed out of the order.  So it got me to wondering where people draw the line. 

We are so use to free shipping on other sites, has it made us rethink our purchases when it comes to shipping?

I also agree with the person who said furniture doesn't ship free from most local stores.  It killed me that I paid a HUGE delivery fee for two pieces that are warehoused only a mile away.  Shows the difference between really wanting something and a oh I could use this purhase.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mapol

I understand what you are saying....for heavy items that get delivered to my front door by UPS I dont mind paying a little more so your $27 was reasonable if it was going to be sent UPS...

These are my shipping complaints!:

Instead of UPS, when they send it by USPS and I paid a lot for shipping but they deliver it to our Mail Center and not my front door---and then I have to drive to th Mail Center, the only close parking is handicapped and reserved for employees, and the rest of the parking is a bit away, so I have to carry this heavy item, lift up this item and put it in my car and get home and take it out of my car and then carry it inside my home, that makes me mad if I paid $27 for shipping........

And another thing thats make me irritated is when I had 2 SMALL orders that were in small boxes and QVC put these 2 small boxes into one GIGANTIC box, which I had to go to the Mail Center to pick up--it was awkward getting the HUGE box inside my car...and I STILL got charged full shipping TWICE for items in the SAME BOX!  I think $11 was way too much for 2 small items put in the same box. and they inconvenienced me on top of it!!!  ......

I also think its ridiculous to charge $12 to ship a handbag in the same ole QVC cardboard box--I did this once and only once and NEVER AGAIN! QVC has lost many handbag sales to me because of this!!! It adds to the price, and I can get the same brand at Department Stores and use a coupon and NO SHIPPING!  I remember other brand handbags priced over $150 where the shipping wasnt that much...I think certain brands are socking it to the customers ...... and QVC uses E-Z Pay to make people think its more affordable---but its not really............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Of course I prefer free shipping (who doesn't?) but as someone who has sold on eBay since 2003 I'm amazed they can ship it under $50, but then I don't have any shipping discounts.  But I have shipped an extremely heavy 3 phase welder through a shipping company and picked up half the cost ..... extremely expensive to mail or ship anything even for big companies.     

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*