Respected Contributor

Re: Almost Purchased until I saw $27.72 shipping/handling charge

The bottom line total is what would stop me from ordering. Do the comparison shopping to make the decision.

Honored Contributor

@mapol wrote:

I started to purchase the Haier portable air conditioner as a back up this morning.

I added it to my cart without paying attention to the shipping charges and was in the checkout process before I noticed. I just felt they were too high and decided not to purchase.

I think I am spoiled because I normally try to order the "dollar limit" to get free shipping when purchasing online. I do occasionally pay shipping but they are must have situations.

I am curious if there is a certain dollar amount you find too much when it comes to shipping that will stop you from ordering?

Of course it is all relative to size/weight of the item.

@mapol

Haier 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with Dual-Hose
Average rating:4.15out of5stars, 
Walmart # 566739825

Haier 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with Dual-Hose
Average rating:4.15out of5stars, based on20reviews20 reviews
Walmart # 566739825
$370.00

Free shipping
Honored Contributor

@mapol I always look around to see if I can find a better deal including the asking price, tax and shipping. Usually I can. You can find those portable a/c's at most of the home improvement stores and even at discount stores. If you need help, they'll load it in your vehicle and you skip shipping altogether... I've backed out of many, many items here because of what I consider to be excessive shipping costs... Shipping here seems to actually be source of profit... Well, their profit at my expense isn't often a good choice for me...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

That's a bargain! Would you rather have driven x number of miles to pick it up yourself?

Occasional Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

That's a bargain! Would you rather have driven x number of miles to pick it up yourself?

I agree the shipping wasn't out of line for the item size and weight.

My decision not to order was driven more by did I really "need" this enough to pay the shipping when I could have driven to a few stores less than a mile away and picked up a similar item at the same price.  

So it got me to thinking at what point did shipping/handling turn people off.  I was just curious.

I do prefer to shop online and pay shipping occasionally, that is the cost of ordering online.  Of course, I also love getting free shipping when ever possible but that is not always the case.

Respected Contributor

I think that's the item that was the TSV a few weeks ago and it had free S&H that day.

Respected Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

I think that's the item that was the TSV a few weeks ago and it had free S&H that day.

@Alison Wonderland DeLonghi (which got more 1 star reviews than any other satrs) was the recent TSV not Haier