Contributor

All I need to hear to panic: the words "hair loss...."

I haven't experienced any hair loss from Wen and it still works for me. I use it once a week or so (other times using a sulfate-free shampoo with a small dab of Wen as a conditioner) but now, every time a hair comes out of my head, I'm scared it's the Wen.

I know this is nutty but at 58, I need every hair I can keep and am getting leery  of my Wen. Anyone else feel this way?

Trusted Contributor

Re: All I need to hear to panic: the words "hair loss...."

I tried to use wen for two years. At the same time I was taking care of my df and was not paying attention to my hair. Well one day I realized I had lost a lot of hair. I thought it was stress until someone posted some pictures of wen users and scalp problems. I was horrified. I had the same problems. If you have any concerns I would stop now. It's not worth it.

Respected Contributor

@Susiemama I've used Wen for about 3 years now, and my hair is in it's best shape ever! My only concern is the cost. But if you are stressing about it making your hair fall out, please stop using it. Stress can cause hair loss, too! There are lots of good products out there. Find something that doesn't cause you worry. It's just not worth it!

Esteemed Contributor

I use it and have no problems. I will continue to use it until and when the FDA deems otherwise. Hair loss is due to many things people don't even think about. 

Respected Contributor

There are too many complaints about hair loss due to WEN .... so I changed brands.  For me, more hair than usual 'came out" after my final rinse, but I felt that was due to the extra "conditioning" WEN provided.   I never experienced this loss with other sulfate-free or organic shampoos & conditioners.

Like you, I am taking no chances.  

Valued Contributor

If it works for you (no extra hair loss), keep using it. I tried WEN two different times, and each time I had about double the hair loss from WEN vs. other shampoos. I stopped using it several years ago for that reason, but it obviously works well for a lot of people. 

Valued Contributor

I use Wen occasionally. I have the 319 and pomegranate that I bought a few months ago. The only problem I seem to have is that the 319 seems to actually dry out my hair too much. I tried mixing it with the pomegranate formulation and I think that may have helped somewhat with the dryness, but still overall dry.  

I only use it occasionally now because of that. I also have a large store of Nick Chavez shampoo and conditioner which I really like. I just have to limit the amount of Chavez conditioner, and rinse it right away, or my hair seems "weighed down".

As for Wen causing hair loss, I am a little bit skeptical of that. It has been on the market since the early 1990's as far as I know. If it were causing hair loss, surely it would have either been pulled from the market or the formula would have significantly changed. Another reason I doubt it, other companies are trying to duplicate his formulas, why would they do that if it is causing problems?  Just my thoughts on this.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

OtherRe: All I need to hear to panic: the words "hair loss...."

What other companies?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susiemama wrote:

I haven't experienced any hair loss from Wen and it still works for me. I use it once a week or so (other times using a sulfate-free shampoo with a small dab of Wen as a conditioner) but now, every time a hair comes out of my head, I'm scared it's the Wen.

I know this is nutty but at 58, I need every hair I can keep and am getting leery  of my Wen. Anyone else feel this way?

@Susiemama  Yes! I was wondering the same thing. I quit using WEN CC. Couple of years ago because of the hair loss hype.  I still have some of the conditioning spray mist and  the volume foam....I am afraid to use THAT as well.  I will probably throw it out. I am not taking ANY chances with this line.

Honored Contributor

People, don't forget if you are only cleansing your hair once or twice a week you will have more hair coming out. This is how the cycle goes, when to worry is if the hair doesn't grow back.