Respected Contributor

Re: Ageism in full force at QVC ?

I spoke too soon. There is a healthy varied range of ages among the hosts.

Honored Contributor

How do you define ageism?  

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

They want hosts who make money for QVC. Doesn't matter what their age is. Do your job or go.

Back in the 90s QVC was such a great place to work. i dont think it is anymore.

Respected Contributor

@Reever, did you work at QVC in the 90's? Unless someone has worked there for the past 30 years how would anyone know? And what makes a company a great place to work for one person, may not make it great for another. Different people have different priorities and likes and dislikes in a job. For some it's all about the pay, others the benefits, others the proximity to work, home and family, and still others its flexibility in scheduling. 

Respected Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:

@Reever, did you work at QVC in the 90's? Unless someone has worked there for the past 30 years how would anyone know? And what makes a company a great place to work for one person, may not make it great for another. Different people have different priorities and likes and dislikes in a job. For some it's all about the pay, others the benefits, others the proximity to work, home and family, and still others its flexibility in scheduling. 

I never worked there.  I left the banking industry decades ago. Thats another business that has gone downhill.  Profits over people.  I fear for the young (and not so young) workforce of today. 

Esteemed Contributor

Frankly, the same Hosts are on for abt 3-4 hrs at a time , so don't know when they have time for any ot the rest of them to make their sales quotas ...

Trusted Contributor

HSN has hired at least one new host recently - a young man.  But it has seen some well-liked hosts depart over the past 18 months.  IMO it is always "follow the money."  If the sales aren't there, you're out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ageism is everywhere.  I worked for a huge corporation. The dept I was in wanted young workers. They would constantly ask those of us who were 60 or older when are you retiring, why are you still working, or make comments like....you're older so you wouldn't understand or you're qualified but your age tells us you might not be here long enough to finish the project or your age is an issue in (whatever).  

First, who is st*p*d enough to actually say this out loud!

]

Within 6 months of my retirement, they had fired or forced everyone over 60 to leave the dept.

Esteemed Contributor

Let's face it, this is a sales channel, pure and simple. The hosts are sales people, pure and simple. As much as you like them, they are not your friends. They are on TV to sell product.

Maybe some hosts are not liked as much as others so their numbers are not as high as a more liked host. 

I don't believe it is ageism as much as the numbers being met by hosts. And, why should a company "carry" you if you are not making the sale - imo, they shouldn't.

Respected Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

Let's face it, this is a sales channel, pure and simple. The hosts are sales people, pure and simple. As much as you like them, they are not your friends. They are on TV to sell product.

Maybe some hosts are not liked as much as others so their numbers are not as high as a more liked host. 

I don't believe it is ageism as much as the numbers being met by hosts. And, why should a company "carry" you if you are not making the sale - imo, they shouldn't.

Why do people have to keep saying , they are not your friends , unless a person is dillusional , almost every one  knows the hosts are not our friends , we do not go out to lunch or call them on the phone , this always sounds condescending to the posters , that are just making an observation . It is like when we used to go to the local dept. store and you see a long time employee working , you get used to seeing them and being helped if you need something , i don't think they  are my friend , just a friendly familar face , that is all.