Respected Contributor

Re: Ageism in full force at QVC ?

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Etoile308  I don't understand why you are so adamant about this. Do what you want but other posters don't need any lectures. People have hosts they like or don't like. Just like people have their favorite or non favorite actors. No reason to try and beat others down on here. 

No, posters don't need lectures, but there's been plenty of it on various threads and it will continue.unfortunately as there will be posters who disagree on things.  How many posts have there been in past months constantly lecturing others to wear masks and social distance?  Did we need THAT day after day on these boards?  No, but people will post what they want to and some will agree & some not.

Frequent Contributor

When the hosts are hired with a contract, I'm sure the Q stipulates firmly what happens in all circumstances. The Q isn't going to get into "trouble." As a result, I don't think any host is "suprised" when their contract isn't renewed. We, the customers are surprised.

Probably when the customer "notices", the host already has the news. We just notice a lack of energy or caring. 

Respected Contributor

I don't exactly know how I'm adamantly lecturing or beating someone down. So I also don't need a lecture. There seems to be a mindset anymore where differering options can't simply be seen as that. Now they need to be labeled with a negative connotation and stoke more divisiveness. It use to be post would be labeled rude, then snarky, now the buzz phrase is to say someone's lecturing.

Some post about go beyond just making an observation about a host. When someone not wearing a piece of jewelry there's intrusive speculation about the state of their marriage. If there's a scheduling change, people speculate and want to know why. Someone's on vacation, but more speculation that QVC has them pushed one foot out the door.  Some posters reactions go beyond seeing host as a friendly face, or showing empathy to them. 

I guess I'm just not one of the many viewers who has developed an emotional attachment to the host and feel like they're old friends.

Respected Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:

I don't exactly know how I'm adamantly lecturing or beating someone down. So I also don't need a lecture. There seems to be a mindset anymore where differering options can't simply be seen as that. Now they need to be labeled with a negative connotation and stoke more divisiveness. It use to be post would be labeled rude, then snarky, now the buzz phrase is to say someone's lecturing.

Some post about go beyond just making an observation about a host. When someone not wearing a piece of jewelry there's intrusive speculation about the state of their marriage. If there's a scheduling change, people speculate and want to know why. Someone's on vacation, but more speculation that QVC has them pushed one foot out the door.  Some posters reactions go beyond seeing host as a friendly face, or showing empathy to them. 

I guess I'm just not one of the many viewers who has developed an emotional attachment to the host and feel like they're old friends.

Forming an "emotional attachment" with hosts on a shopping channel is what a company strives for. QVC appears to be very successful at accomplishing that goal.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

Does the “Q” care that in 2 years people over 65 will be the majority in the country...that is a lot of buying power, especially since there are more women than men. I think who they believe they should be catering to and influencing needs some adjustment. Speaking to them in terms they understand, monetary language.

Respected Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

To be fair, I think posters get the attachment to hosts, but at times it does get to be a bit over-the-top.  For example, when they start speculating on what illness a host may or may not have and getting overly alarmed if they take some time off.  Some will even speculate and gossip about their finances and other personal stuff that's no one's business. There's a line that's crossed between interest in a host and delving into their personal affairs.

When a host blabs publicly about their personal affairs, they have only themselves to blame if some people get carried away.

Esteemed Contributor

For some hosts "delving" really isn't necessary.   They put it all out there right on the surface for all to consume, no digging or searching required. 

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager and @GoneButNotForgotten  Good points. You are right.