Contributor

WAS WATCHING ITKWD TODAY, DAVID WAS SHOWING ALL THE FOOD COOKING ON THE TREAGER GRILL. WHAT DO THEY DO WITH ALL THE FOOD, ESPECIALLY NOW NOONE IS EATING ON AIR. WHEN I THINK OF THE MANY HUNDREDS OF CARS WAITING IN LINE AT FOOD BANKS ETC. WOULD BE A CRYING SHAME FOR IT TO BE WASTED.

Honored Contributor

@Maddie64    This is an old, tired subject here.  Most, if not all, of the food is thrown out.  After it sits under hot lights for hours and is artificially treated to look appealing, it's not fit for human consumption.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Food for photography is sometimes treated with motor oil, shoe polish, hairspray, paint, talcum powder, etc. to make it appealing.   Some of the "food" is even fake.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Maddie64:  In the past (before the pandemic) the food was doled out to QVC crew. Not sure what happens to it now.

Honored Contributor

@Maddie64  tell me your solution. Does QVC stop showing food on air, or do they give away stuff that has been opened and sitting on the hot set hoping no one gets sick from it?

Respected Contributor

Someone (I think it was Jen Coffey) recently mentioned during a presentation that they are not allowed to eat the foods on set.  So nobody is eating it, unless they are breaking the rules.  I think it's disgraceful to waste so much, when so many are going hungry.  They should elimate or miniize the use of real food on set.  For example if they're selling some kind of snack bars, don't open 10 of them to squish them up with your fingers.  Just demo on ONE.  Personally I hate the food presentations.  They go overboard with the touching, squishing etc.  I actually find it revolting.  If I've seen you squish up one piece of food, I get the idea.  I don't need to see it 25 more times.  Sheesh!

Respected Contributor

Exactly Groucho. That's the issue for me, the amount of food wasted. Like why must they pour out 10+ jars of Germack or Squirrel candy to show what it looks like?

Respected Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

Exactly Groucho. That's the issue for me, the amount of food wasted. Like why must they pour out 10+ jars of Germack or Squirrel candy to show what it looks like?

Agreed. Even in normal times it's terrible and wasteful and pointless. We are all modifying our behavior during this pandemic, you'd think they could do the same?  

Honored Contributor

I imagine the repetitive nature of the presentations is for channel surfers. They make sure and show the products to catch all viewers.

The shows are not neccesarily just for customers who watch the entire presentation. 

Super Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

Exactly this.  What a tremedous waste during a time when families struggle to eat.  I don't watch anymore, much less buy.