Honored Contributor

You wants sales or true clearance prices, check out HSN. THEY know how to do a sale. QVC could learn a thing or to from HSN.

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

You wants sales or true clearance prices, check out HSN. THEY know how to do a sale. QVC could learn a thing or to from HSN.

No!!  If they sold what HSN sells I would not shop with them anymore.  Ugh.  I'm surprised someone started up this post again.  Surely, many learned from it and have been better shoppers lately.  Ha!  Watch for the deals.  QVC certainly has them.  Don't impulse buy and you'll be fine.   

Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

100% agree! I do like QVC and do order things, but I like HSN much better. The clearance there is great! 

Esteemed Contributor

Some time ago I read a article on line about a investigation some consumer awareness organization did on QVC pricing methods.  There were something like 20 different prices a QVC item might be offered at from TSV to one time only to lunch time specials, introductory price etc.  This group's conclusion was that QVC's pricing methods were among the worst of any retailer and were designed to take advantage of consumers.

Honored Contributor

Re: A new low for QVC

[ Edited ]

@MomCat wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

No!!  If they sold what HSN sells I would not shop with them anymore.  Ugh.  I'm surprised someone started up this post again.  Surely, many learned from it and have been better shoppers lately.  Ha!  Watch for the deals.  QVC certainly has them.  Don't impulse buy and you'll be fine.   

You obviously missed the point I was making. I didn't shop at HSN, I said LOOK at the prices for their sales/clearance... $5 off is NOT a sale. $10 off is not a sale. 50% off PERMANENTLY is a sale as is 75% or more. THAT is what HSN offers. I used HSN as an EXAMPLE for what a REAL sale looks like.

Respected Contributor

That's a cheap trick to lower the price a few cents and say it's a "deal." 

I don't think QVC is a smart place to shop, but it certainly is CONVENIENT, especially helpful if you cannot find what you want elsewhere.  I recently paid $40 for a basic polyester t-shirt but had shopped a couple other places for the same item with no luck.  Finally gave in and ordered it.

As for HSN, I've gotten some nice items there (not that mop).  I think they hire their hosts based on who has the worst voices, shrill and truly annoying.  Most often I can only watch and listen briefly. 

Honored Contributor

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

Unless one does not have access to a gardening center or plant nursery I don't get it.  We have so many wonderful nurseries in our location that have an excellent variety of plants at very reasonable prices.  Everything from annuals, perenials, shrubs, trees, etc.  They offer excellent tips and advice and I love the fact they are local.  No shipping and handling.

I agree. Why have plants shipped and especially when one sees what is actually going to be received. Go to a garden center or even Lowe's, Home Depot or Walmart. They have a nice variety and while they might not carry everything one sees on-air, if there's a problem, it's far easier to resolve. Moreover, you select exactly the plant you want.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

I fail to see how this is "a new low."  QVC has done nothing nefarious or unethical.

QVC sold an item, the OP purchased it.  The op now apparently has buyer's remorse and is looking for someone to blame.

Whether or not purchasing garden plants from a shopping chnnel is advisable, QVC has done nothing wrong.

Perhaps QVC has done nothing 'wrong' but touting something as a 'special' price when the savings is a whopping sixteen cents strains the bounds of credibility.

Esteemed Contributor

My best advice when buying plants of any kind is to buy locally... with items grown locally.  Trust me I have had my fun and games with "out of the area stock" that never takes to my soil or surroundings.  

I look on with some envy but I know it will never work for me.  

Honored Contributor

Re: A new low for QVC

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

Hey Folks don't knock QVC's sale prices----why they are some of the best COMEDY on television these days!!!  Woman LOL

I remember one item that had a stellar of savings of a whole $2.47--I just wonder how the hosts manage to keep from laughing out loudWoman LOLWoman LOL

Now Spurt @Spurt, come on... compared to sixteen cents, 2.47 really IS a sale... Sure it is...