Valued Contributor

Oh come on KYtoby.  Perhaps not nefarious, but probably unethical.  There are after all widely accepted practices in retailing and advertising a "deal" carries with it a reasonable expectation of savings.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't watch shows live.  But what I do is check in and see what is offered (when the topic suits me).  I find if I wait it out I can usually get what I want on : 1. last clicks 2. clearance 3. as is.  There are always games being played by retailers.

Shopping cart game with online retailers:  If you put something in your shopping cart you get messages that something is in  your shopping cart.  If you ignore them, an hour or so later they offer you a deal, reduced pricing or free shipping.  One company has free shipping in the evening hours... so I wait it out.  And I also ALWAYS go check with EBATES DOT COM and they have percent back for buying from certain companies.

This does not take lots of time... just  realizing that there are lots of deals out there.  

Honored Contributor

I go by the price of the item.  The wording special value, OTO, etc may get me to look, but it's the price that gets me to buy.

Honored Contributor

Re: A new low for QVC

[ Edited ]

@KYToby wrote:

I fail to see how this is "a new low."  QVC has done nothing nefarious or unethical.

Oh sure it has.   If you weren't so hel*-bent on defending QVC's practices every chance you get, you'd admit it too.  You see it, you just won't admit it.

While technically the OTO that the OP describes was a lower price - by a few cents - the hype QVC gave it as an OTO was unethical to do and insulting to the customers.  Shame on QVC for that sales practice, even though technically correct.  Ethically NOT correct.  

Honored Contributor

After numerous tries throughout the years, I feel the same regarding the food offered..... Woman Frustrated   I won't buy most of it now.  The last I ordered was a ham that was $69~!  Had a huge bone and a LOT of fat.  Found one at the local market that was excellent at $27~!   Woman Surprised

I almost bought some plants last year when they came on first of the year.... when I realized they wouldn't be shipped to where I am until March I decided to just wait for the local Lowes to offer their selections.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I go by the price of the item.  The wording special value, OTO, etc may get me to look, but it's the price that gets me to buy.

Exactly!  This is why I don't understand the negative posts here about prices and shipping costs.  I take full responsibility for doing my research on any products I purchase, no matter where I'm shopping. 

Respected Contributor
Qvc's prices are usually highet than other outlets. If I see something on QVC a quick internet search will usually lead to finding a similar product (or even the same item!) at a cheaper price.
Valued Contributor

For those of us who live in cities, nurseries are few and far between.  And if we don't have cars (as I don't), it's even less of a choice.  We have a couple of nurseries nearby that sell the same old-same old every year.  When I want something different (which is most of the time), I order via online gardening catalogs (or QVC).  The nursery from which I order the most is White Flower Farm in Connecticut which is a few hours north and east of NYC.  If the plants survive up there, they will do just fine in my yard.  Every unique plant I've orderd from them was simply gorgeous and growing very well.  It's a bit more expensive, but it's worth it to me.  I had only one plant failure, and WFF replaced it at no cost the following planting season.  The few plants I've ordered from QVC also did well, and I'm not an expert gardener by any stretch.

Honored Contributor

Re: A new low for QVC

[ Edited ]

Hey Folks don't knock QVC's sale prices----why they are some of the best COMEDY on television these days!!!  Woman LOL

I remember one item that had a stellar of savings of a whole $2.47--I just wonder how the hosts manage to keep from laughing out loudWoman LOLWoman LOL

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

I've been laughing for years over their so called
"sales"!

That's how we roll in the shire..