Esteemed Contributor

Re: A full day of mattresses and hair growth products, yippee!

One long, boring infomercial.

Honored Contributor

So when yesterday's TSV sold out (an increasingly rare occurrence, by the way) what did they turn to? Shark and Dyson... Two more of the same ten brands featured on-air all the time... So the weekend lineup was nearly complete... a mattress, a vacuum and, of course, Susan Graver. The only things missing were a computer (tablet, e-reader) and a blender...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 10/4/2014 stevieb said:

Personally, I can't fathom why anyone would argue against greater variety in programming and a better product mix.

I just don't understand it either---why is someone against variety in programming and product mix.....it baffles the mind! {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

And their God Is In Heaven and all is right with the QVC word just doesn't hack it-- especially when a top Exec is forced to resign.....they need to wake up and smell the Keurig coffee!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

On 10/6/2014 SPURT said:

Personally, I can't fathom why anyone would argue against greater variety in programming and a better product mix.

I just don't understand it either---why is someone against variety in programming and product mix.....it baffles the mind! {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

And their God Is In Heaven and all us right with the QVC word just doesn't hack it especially when a top Exec is forced to resign.....they need to wake up and smell the Keurig coffee!!!

Seems to me their primary goal is to protect and defend the Q, pointing their fingers at the likes of us for deigning to be dissatisfied and so more or less have to claim they think the product mix is just fabulous... Apparently, they don't think they can't do one without claiming the other and so it is what it is, but no, there is nothing to be lost and everything to be gained by QVC actively acknowledging and then doing something about the stale and repetitive nature of their programming and on-air offerings!

Honored Contributor

Exactly, they're running a television channel and part of that implies using it for more than programming the same stale products over and over... Television shopping, at some level, implies at least a modicum of an effort to both sell and to entertain... Though the entertainment focus should clearly be secondary, if all shoppers wanted was to shop, they could do so, as noted, on-line, and skip the TV altogether... To be sure retailers need to change periodically to remain viable, and part of viability also includes taking a long hard look at what customers want and at what's working and what isn't... There are two forums on these boards specifically devoted to tendering feedback and/or criticism: the Q Did What and Suggestion Box. For posters to persist in going onto these forums and assume they're going to educate other posters as to the error of their ways for requesting greater variety of programming and products would appear to be foolish...

Well said ....{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

And no matter what they say, you know they will never change the way many of us think, so it's a exercise in futility....

Give me a Q, give me a V, give me a C......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

On 10/6/2014 stevieb said:
On 10/6/2014 SPURT said:

And their God Is In Heaven and all us right with the QVC word just doesn't hack it especially when a top Exec is forced to resign.....they need to wake up and smell the Keurig coffee!!!

Seems to me their primary goal is to protect and defend the Q, pointing their fingers at the likes of us for deigning to be dissatisfied and so more or less have to claim they think the product mix is just fabulous... Apparently, the don't think they can't do one without claiming the other and so it is what it is, but no, there is nothing to be lost and everything to be gained by QVC actively acknowledging by then doing something about the stale and repetitive nature of their programming and on-air offerings!

And I hate to break the news but even with the New Community Guidelines, the Q has said customers can criticize QVC, the hosts, the vendors, the programming....the Moderator focus will be on those particular nasty personal attacks not only on hosts but other posters......

Honored Contributor

Yea, I've heard about as much concerning the 'new' guidelines, more active moderation and 'nasty' posters as I ever want to hear. Let's all join together in a rousing rendition of 'Everything is Beautiful'...

{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

And before I'm called out on it, I am NOT advocating for anyone to be unduly harsh or mean spirited, but it appears as though some folks would advocate for an 'off with their heads' approach to anything negative... The paradox is rather glaring and truly, the world is not all sweetness and light. A thicker skin is sometimes the order of the day and rose colored glasses just don't always serve the purpose!

Frequent Contributor

First off, kudos to the posters on this thread. It's refreshing to read some reasoned arguments, complete with salient points, good spelling and proper grammar.

I think the point about television selling and shopping being 50% traditional sales and 50% entertainment is very well made. As the demurring poster above tells us, if you merely want to purchase something online, there are endless websites that offer you a two-dimensional picture, a list of item features, and the ability to pay for your purchase. But there's a reason they don't put a catalog on television. For a shopping experience to be on television, it needs to provide something to grab the viewer's attention. Why do you think the informercials so often have a 'barker' for a salesman, shouting and gesturing and doing anything he can to get you to look at him and hence his product?

Early television shopping successfully melded the informercial experience with the brick and mortar experience and threw in the Avon lady or Fuller Brush man. They provided you with personable, identifiable sales people who answered any question you could possibly have about a product if you were in the store handling it, with no hurry, rush, distractions, etc. that you would get in a brick and mortar store. They offered colorful sets, attention-getting products and variety, so you would stay tuned in to see what came next. They invited you to think of them as friends who came into your home to share something special with you that they just knew you'd like.

And they hit the nail right on the head. It worked and worked well. People responded with their credit cards, they told their friends, there were even viewing parties for certain shows or products.

They were even happy when we tuned them in as 'background noise'. Colleen Lopez from HSN used to handle this beautifully. She'd say "I know you're vacuuming or dusting or folding laundry, but you HAVE to come over to the tv and see this! It's fabulous!" And we did. We dropped everything and looked. And sometimes (often) we'd buy.

Present day is an entirely different business model. I told someone the other day if I were an alien visiting the Earth for the first time and saw QVD, I'd presume it was a liquidation company for vast amounts of blenders, mattresses, homely shoes, previous model electronics, etc. A sort of on air Big Lots, if you will.

Honored Contributor

On 10/6/2014 mysweetlife said:

First off, kudos to the posters on this thread. It's refreshing to read some reasoned arguments, complete with salient points, good spelling and proper grammar.

I think the point about television selling and shopping being 50% traditional sales and 50% entertainment is very well made. As the demurring poster above tells us, if you merely want to purchase something online, there are endless websites that offer you a two-dimensional picture, a list of item features, and the ability to pay for your purchase. But there's a reason they don't put a catalog on television. For a shopping experience to be on television, it needs to provide something to grab the viewer's attention. Why do you think the informercials so often have a 'barker' for a salesman, shouting and gesturing and doing anything he can to get you to look at him and hence his product?

Early television shopping successfully melded the informercial experience with the brick and mortar experience and threw in the Avon lady or Fuller Brush man. They provided you with personable, identifiable sales people who answered any question you could possibly have about a product if you were in the store handling it, with no hurry, rush, distractions, etc. that you would get in a brick and mortar store. They offered colorful sets, attention-getting products and variety, so you would stay tuned in to see what came next. They invited you to think of them as friends who came into your home to share something special with you that they just knew you'd like.

And they hit the nail right on the head. It worked and worked well. People responded with their credit cards, they told their friends, there were even viewing parties for certain shows or products.

They were even happy when we tuned them in as 'background noise'. Colleen Lopez from HSN used to handle this beautifully. She'd say "I know you're vacuuming or dusting or folding laundry, but you HAVE to come over to the tv and see this! It's fabulous!" And we did. We dropped everything and looked. And sometimes (often) we'd buy.

Present day is an entirely different business model. I told someone the other day if I were an alien visiting the Earth for the first time and saw QVD, I'd presume it was a liquidation company for vast amounts of blenders, mattresses, homely shoes, previous model electronics, etc. A sort of on air Big Lots, if you will.

Thoroughly and wonderfully explained and stated.